Author Topic: Router  (Read 6575 times)

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
Router
« on: September 29, 2005, 01:09:44 am »
I'm not sure if this would go in the security forum, or what, so I'll put it in here.

I just got another computer, and I was wondering what would be a good router to use for my cable internet, I was looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124007   

I was looking at that, but I'd kind of would like one of a lesser cost. I don't quite know what I need with those, so I figgured I'd ask all of my knowlegable friends over at [x86]. Basicaly what I need is >4 ports, and cable being able to run.

Thanks, guys! <3 ^^

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
Re: Router
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 06:26:22 am »
From my experience the best advice I can give you is to make sure you have a warranty on it and also I've had the best of luck with linksys, not to mention they have great support. If you're just running cable and don't need any fancy then a standard linksys model that has the requirements you need will suffice.

HTH

Good luck in your search.
Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 12:44:37 pm »
Linksys is good, but I lose connection a lot!  But, sometimes I gain it back in a few seconds, or even minutes.  Mostly just a few seconds.  But, other than that Linksys is good from what I have seen.

P.S.
Does anyone know how to stop this problem?  And, does anyone else have this problem?
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 01:03:53 pm »
Are you running cabled or a wireless setup?

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 01:09:06 pm »
Linksys is good, but I lose connection a lot!  But, sometimes I gain it back in a few seconds, or even minutes.  Mostly just a few seconds.  But, other than that Linksys is good from what I have seen.

P.S.
Does anyone know how to stop this problem?  And, does anyone else have this problem?

Upgrade your router's firmware.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 01:14:59 pm »
Wireless.

I don't know how to upgrade the firmware lord.. :(  I don't know much on how to do stuff with the router.  I haven't taken time to look around. :(
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 01:27:04 pm »
When you login to your router admin panel, there should be an option (maybe under administrative or settings) to update firmware.

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 01:31:27 pm »
Wireless tends to be very flaky.  If it's going through at least one wall, it could be getting blocked by electrical wiring.  If there's a microwave in the house, or a cordless phone, or your neighbour has wireless, that could affect it too. 

If you need a consistant connection, don't use wireless. 

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 01:54:14 pm »
Wireless.

I don't know how to upgrade the firmware lord.. :(  I don't know much on how to do stuff with the router.  I haven't taken time to look around. :(

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Content_C1%26cid%3D1115416835852&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 01:56:38 pm »
Wireless tends to be very flaky.  If it's going through at least one wall, it could be getting blocked by electrical wiring.  If there's a microwave in the house, or a cordless phone, or your neighbour has wireless, that could affect it too. 

I share my wireless connection with my brothers and my neighbor and they maintain about the same amount of stability as myself and as for interference, we have a 2.4 ghz cordless phone in the house and there are atleast 4 other wireless networks within range.

I generally have the most problems with the encryption.  I was originally using WPA which, until I upgraded my firmware, dropped the wireless clients every few minutes.  I then later tried out WPA2 when I downloaded a newer firmware upgrade which dropped the wireless clients every few hours and then finally upgraded again and now I have great stability.  What I learned: Don't put too much faith in newly added features.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 02:01:09 pm by LoRd[nK] »

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 05:19:02 pm »
Wireless tends to be very flaky. If it's going through at least one wall, it could be getting blocked by electrical wiring. If there's a microwave in the house, or a cordless phone, or your neighbour has wireless, that could affect it too.

I agree. I have wireless, and I want to stop using the wireless feature of it and go back to cable but Im just too lazy to feed the wires

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 05:43:42 pm »

P.S.

Upgrade your router's firmware.

Personal experience: Make sure the power supply is the CORRECT one (the one that came with the router) because I managed to burn out a router (hehe, the network kept dying (network cable unplugged) and coming back every other second. :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 05:47:09 pm »
I've burnt out a switch doing that, hehe.  It emitted smoke and a 'fun' odor!  =D

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 05:49:22 pm »
I have done it with a router, and a switch. Smoked the switch (stupid POS netgear) (no longer works), and temporarily blew up the router (it worked 10 min later?)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 06:22:45 pm »
Haha, that's funny it still worked.  Actually, I think the device I was thinking of was a little 5-port hub.  Man did that thing smoke.  It made the whole room reek for the entire day. o_o;

Also, my boss and I were sitting in one of the computer labs one day distributing the build image and all of the sudden a monitor 'exploded' behind us.  We looked behind us and sure enough, there was a huge plume of smoke coming out of it.  Haha, I found that thing at the beginning of this year and it STILL smelled.