Author Topic: Peer strong for pressure me thy too.  (Read 13281 times)

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
Peer strong for pressure me thy too.
« on: October 04, 2005, 02:23:09 pm »
Bluh uba hubby wah.

No, just kidding, I haven't suddenly lost all verbal intercourse with the english language.

Anyways, I'm getting WoW in a few hours, I've decided I want to do RP, and Mythix has helped me out with most information, I would however like to get some other points of view from people other then him and Sidoh however, so, lets start giving Screen some tips and info! (i.e. servers, classes, skills, etc.)

I'm basically looking for all relative information on WoW so I have a good guess on what I want to do.

Thanks in advance.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Peer strong for pressure me thy too.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 09:02:43 pm »
No, just kidding, I haven't suddenly lost all verbal intercourse with the english language.
[stupid]
Heh... heh... you said "intercourse."
[/stupid]
;)
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 09:17:51 pm »
[stupid]
[/stupid]
;)
so did you! omfgzor

Screenor: Hunters are the badass race, they get pets! It's pretty neat, but each class has their own uses. But as for which race to go, that's just personal preference. Not much changes in them other than the quests you do, and how your character looks. Me, I'm an NE/Dwarf guy for Alliance, and a straight-up undead for the Horde.
Hope this helped somewhat, you didn't really say what kind of character you want.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 10:03:13 pm »
You have WoW, deadly?  I thought it was a waste of time? :\

Screenor:  Some insight that I haven't provided directed towards you:

- Don't play a hunter unless you want to have a harder time finding groups when you get to 60.  The ride is a blast, but the destination sucks for hunters.  They ROCK at solo'ing and if they have good enough gear, they're good for PvP as well.
 - You should pick a server which you think would best fit your playing style.  I'm not going to argue that RP is the best server type anymore, because I realize that some people prefer to be in a more laid back, less immersed environment.
 - Pick a class you like, you're probably going to be sticking with it for a long while.
 - Talk with people who've played thier class for a long time (level 30+ in most cases) and know what they're talking about.  I'm not going to preach about mages, hunters, warriors, etc except for the few facts I know about them.  I will, however, tell you how much I've ejoyed the Priest, Shaman and Warlock classes:

Priest   [Sabetha - 60 Human Priest, Feathermoon] --
Priests are THE healers.  I've heard so many arguments otherwise from Paladins and Druids that I want to drop a nuke on their heads.  They're stupid to think that they can outheal a Priest... they can't (unless the priest has a broken keyboard or something).  Paladins argue that their heals are more mana-efficient.  They are, but they don't look at the entire scope of things.  They also have to reazlie that they generally have about 4,000 less mana than a level 60 Priest, fully buffed.  This ultimately makes their heals less efficient.  Secondly, Paladins who have a lot of mana fully buffed (ie 7,500 -- that's about the highest I've ever seen, which is what I have UNBUFFED) lack the oodles of spirit that Priests have.  I can regenerate about 110 mana/tick (which is ~2 seconds).  Paladins generally generate ~50/tick, and that's with their +30/5second buff.  Mine is without.  Druids... well, I won't get into them.  Paladins make better healers than Druids if you ask me (if they're properly equipped).  Priests are also much better PvP classes than most would take them for.  I win about 29/30 duels that I'm in.   Duels are a lot different than team PvP, though.  When you're a Priest in team PvP, you're the primary target.  If you're visible, you die first.  Why?  Priests can put out 1,000+ heals every 1.5 seconds.  That's enough to almost completely counter most damage attacks.  They're squishy and they die fast.  :[

Warlock [Sidoh - 51 Gnome Warlock, Feathermoon] --
I'm not going to talk much about Warlocks because it's been so long since I've played mine.  If you're wanting to play a high DPS class, you probably shouldn't play a Warlock.  Warlocks generally rank just above Warriors (who aren't damage dealers at all) in damage.  They do, however, have some really neat passive abilities and get neat pets.  They're vital in endgame instances beacause of their Soulstones, which ultimately prevent full group wipes.  They have a lot of neat little abilities which really benefit the group (ie curses that slow casting speed by 50%, detect invisibility buffs... things like that).  Warlocks can plain dominate in PvP, if they're specc'd correctly and the person at the keyboard knows what they're doing.  There's some Warlock named Drakedogg that released some CRAZY movies of him OWNING in PvP.  I mean the guy didn't die and was critting with SHADOW BOLT (which is a timed cast bolt spell that is otherwise non-impressive) for around 3,000.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the numbers flying off the screen.  These tactics are very non-ideal for PvE groups, though.  They cause massive amounts of agro and the Warlock will get killed in an instant because they're squishy ( like mages and priests! ).

Shaman [Moone - 34 Troll Shaman, Magtheridon] -
Shamans are... amazing.  They are the "jack of all trades, master of none."  Perhaps not as versatile as Druids, but they can certainly say some things that Druids can't.  For instance:  They are an amazing PvP class.  Stupid purge && earthbind toten.  I solo'd half of the Wailing Caverns (a level 20-ish instance for the Horde, their Deadmines equivilant) at level 25.  It was insane.  It's been a while since I've played my Shaman, and I haven't even gotten close to endgame with him, so I don't have much more to say.  Most of my experiences with them are me getting Earth Shock'd + owned by them on my Priest.

Race is pretty much negligable issue.  There are some races that really are better for some classes, but that point is generally arguable.  For instance, Night Elves make the best Hunters because they have a passive agility/dodge bonus, plus they have Shadowmeld.  All of these things are great for Rogues as well.  Gnomes make the best casters because they have a passive intellect bonus, etc.  As for me, I play a Human Priest -- passive spirit && desperate prayer for Priests!  Plus, the females have the biggest boobs of all races (just kidding!).

Anyway, there's my $0.02.  Hope it helps.  :]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 10:08:20 pm by Sidoh »

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 11:20:23 pm »
Mage [Maed - 35 Gnome Mage, Thunderlord(PvP)]

Mages in one word: Awesome.  Mages are as someone sidoh told me about, "Water fountains".  They have the ablilty to conjure water and bread, they can teleport themselves to major cities or they can make a portal for the whole party to go through.  Priests love mages, plain and simple.  Mages have the ability to "Counter-Spell", which disallows all spell casts of the type that the target was casting.  If you specialize in arcane, which you should, you get lots of mana, Presence of Mind (All mage spell casts less the 10 seconds become instant),instant arcane explosion (The Best AoE attack IMHO).  They have polymorph, which is Lots of fun playing with people.  I have kept people "sheeped" for so long, they have acutally logged out. :P  Gnomes make good Mages for thier Intellect bonus, and thier escape artist(allows you to get un-stuck from things other then sap).  Mages do well against rouges in end game because of thier AoE attacks, which hits the rouge before he knows what to do.  Pyroblast.. in a couple words:  Pure Ownage. It does 700+ fire damage at a very low level, and combinded with PoM the 8 second cast, is nothing. :) 60 Mages can usually beat 60 rouges and 60 warlocks.  There are downsides to mages, they don't get lots of health, and they can only wear cloth(:().  Mages have lots of buff spells, which are usefull.

Overall, my favorite class is Mage so far.  Too bad I can't blink to 60 to see what its like. ;)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 11:39:21 pm »
[stupid]
[/stupid]
;)
Sh, that's the biggest word I could come up with, go to hell.

deadly: Yeah, I'm not sure what class to be for the fact that I need to see the stats and such of the things before I choose, I was mainly going off what I saw on Mythix's desktop last night, and it didn't exactly work out as planned considering to make it refresh for me he had to move his mouse around the screen untill it generally would allow me to see it, so, our conversation basically went like this:

Me: So, I take it that bar is how close you are to catching a fish?
Mythix: Nah dude, you're a bit behind, I'm at the bottom of the lake now.
Me: ..

(Mythix makes a troll character next on some random server and starts killing things for me to see:

Mythix: Yeah, so right now I'm killling shit.
Me: Ah, neat, yeah, I'm still viewing half of your load screen.
Mythix: ...

Sidoh: Huge thanks, lots of detailed information.

Blaze: That's pretty pimp, not sure if I want to do PVP though, I really don't want to constantly have my full attention put into this game just to make sure I don't get stabbed to death by a rogue.

Are mages able to mind control or what class would that be? (I know I want to be alliance, that's about as far as I've gotten.)

Well, I got very sick today, so, WoW hopefully tomorrow. :(

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 12:16:03 am »
No, Priests mind control.  But it's hardly an ability worth deciding your class over.  All Engineers can mind control.  I only use Mind Control to have a bit of fun in duels, it's hardly a useful spells.  I rarely use it in PvE, the only time I really do is in Scholomance in the chamber of summoning so they don't summon so many god damn skeletons.

And you bet, I like typing out stuff like that.  :)

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 02:01:34 am »
WTF I LOST YOU TOO?

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 08:24:57 am »
No, Priests mind control.  But it's hardly an ability worth deciding your class over.  All Engineers can mind control.  I only use Mind Control to have a bit of fun in duels, it's hardly a useful spells.  I rarely use it in PvE, the only time I really do is in Scholomance in the chamber of summoning so they don't summon so many god damn skeletons.

And you bet, I like typing out stuff like that.  :)
Holy fucking hell. What I'm basically looking for is something that has AoE, I can get a few really good rages out of people, and yet can still take a few hits. Any ideas?

WTF I LOST YOU TOO?
I only ever played with Mythix, TSE, and [myg0t]Geesus, you never came and did anything. :-\ We'll still be on Vent just as much, I just wont be on from about 1:30PM - 2:35PM EST, because I'll be taking classes then starting tomorrow. <3

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 07:22:36 pm »
Mages have the most powerful AoE attacks, all aspects considered.  However -- they're also very "squishy".

Warlocks also have very powerful AoE attacks.  Their best one does more damage than the best of the mage AoE attacks, but it is also channeled (a channeling bar starts full and works its way to empty -- when it's empty, the spell stops casting) and does just as much damage to themselves.  The only practical use for it is when you have a Priest or Druid right along side of you and spam-healing you.  Warlocks, however, can generally take a lot more damage than a mage because gear deemed "Warlock-ish" often has more Stamina than anything, where as mage gear has much more Intellect than Stamina.  I've seen Warlocks have more health than main tanks in many cases.  They are still squishy, though... they get hurt easly.  :]

Warriors also have AoE, but they're meant to draw agro, not do damage.  They take more hits than any class in the game.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 09:47:16 pm »
You have WoW, deadly?  I thought it was a waste of time? :\
No, but I know people that let me play at their house.  Also, I can't forget Open Beta.  I'm not saying WoW isn't fun, but to me I just don't have the time with three new projects every week to be crunching hours rigging my character.. though raid groups sound awesome.

I won't disagree that for Hunters the ride to getting to high levels is the funnest part, because I did get pretty high in Open Beta (level 30 I think) in a relatively small amount of time (~48 hours).. I played with a bunch of people I did and didn't know, it was awesome fun.  I wish I wasn't in sports and other clubs and stuff or that there are 8 days in a week and you get 3 days off of school, because I'd be playing WoW [assuming I could find a method of payment] constantly if that was the case.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 09:50:44 pm »
No, but I know people that let me play at their house.  Also, I can't forget Open Beta.  I'm not saying WoW isn't fun, but to me I just don't have the time with three new projects every week to be crunching hours rigging my character.. though raid groups sound awesome.

I won't disagree that for Hunters the ride to getting to high levels is the funnest part, because I did get pretty high in Open Beta (level 30 I think) in a relatively small amount of time (~48 hours).. I played with a bunch of people I did and didn't know, it was awesome fun.  I wish I wasn't in sports and other clubs and stuff or that there are 8 days in a week and you get 3 days off of school, because I'd be playing WoW [assuming I could find a method of payment] constantly if that was the case.
I have jobs, am in clubs and have a fairly strenuous academic schedule too.  :P

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 11:24:59 pm »
WoW has forced me to do my homework on my outragousley long lunch periods.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline TheSickEmpire

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 06:23:27 am »
WTF I LOST YOU TOO?

They've all gone to the darkside.

If WoW was free, I'd play it. It's not, and paying for games after I buy them is against my moral values.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 07:49:38 pm »
I agree completely with what you just siad, TSE. It is dumb to do that. y=m(x)+b; Cost=$15(x)+$50.  after a year it'd be a total rip-off. $230 the first year then $180 after that. Way to spend your money.