Author Topic: Eat bacon, burn in Hell?  (Read 10861 times)

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
Re: Eat bacon, burn in Hell?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 12:35:30 am »
Tell her... She's not Jewish and to finish reading the Bible.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 12:37:19 am »
I know that, I already showed that to her, I was referring to the part about God just protecting us from a disease.
How would the bible make any sense if we couldn't reason some of God's actions?  IE -- why did he forgive our vile, disgusting sins if he didn't love us?

The bible assumes that the reader has a sense of logic, but doesn't use that logic to question things written in the bible.

Bring this up:  If you look in a history book, it will say that liquor was illegal during the 1920's (I think it was then).  If you read further on, you'll see that that law was changed for several reasons.  While this is but a man's example of something in the bible, it still relates.

Tell her... She's not Jewish and to finish reading the Bible.
EXACTLY

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 01:04:23 am »
Since I'm not a Christian, you'll have to explain to me why we can now eat pork after Christ's crucifixion. Other than that, seems like it will work if my mom will actually listen to me this time.

The Bible, specifically the New Testament, although this is true of the Old Testament as well, emphasizes righteousness by faith.  Very few people in Old Testament times understood this though; Abraham was one ("Abraham had faith, and it was creditted to him as righteousness"), Enoch (IIRC) was another, so was David (a "man after God's own heart").

Quote from: Romans 10:4
    4Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
Quote from: Hebrews 10:1
    1The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship.

Specifically stated (emphasis added):
Quote from: Romans 6:23 (NASB)
    23For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Pretty much, it's saying that there is nothing we have to do to take it, nothing we can do to earn it.  It is a gift; all we have to do is accept it.  How do we accept it?  The Bible says, time after time: faith.

Having a set of laws is pointless if you don't have faith.  Now, the Bible doesn't say that it's okay to do out and do whatever you want.  That's not the point.

Have her read the section out of her Bible starting at 1 Corinthians 10:23 that goes to chapter 11, called "The Believer's Freedom" (here is a link to it online).  It even says, "Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience."

Uh, for the record, the translation I'm using for all quotes unless otherwise stated is the New International Version (NIV).  Rom 6:23 was taken from the New American Standard Bible (NASB).  I'm not sure what the meaningful difference is (what sources, how it was done, etc).
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 10:39:55 am »
this is just a reason to turn athiest instead of Christian.
Join the club.
Already in it.
<-- Doesn't believe in god.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 06:17:11 pm »
Already in it.
I'm sorry.

trust

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 09:05:38 pm »
It's because they eat gross stuff.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 10:37:47 pm »
Already in it.
I'm sorry.
Sorry for what exactly? Your religious intolerance?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 10:49:54 pm »
I'm sure you're familiar with what Christians believe happens to faithless people.  I'm not trying to insult you in any way with this message, so don't take offense.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 10:57:11 pm »
Well, sir, I could be offended because of your imposing I will burn in hell yet I am not because I believe there is not a hell and its a controll method.

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 11:02:40 pm »
I would prefer to have some sort of afterlife, because if we all just eventually died, it would just be the universe. Like, nothing happening. Just it going onnn and onnn.

Depressing  :'(.
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 11:16:50 pm »
Well, sir, I could be offended because of your imposing I will burn in hell yet I am not because I believe there is not a hell and its a controll method.
What do you care if you don't believe it exists?

This is a completely unrelated comparison, but it has the same simple aspect represented with the example.

If I told you that pink monkeys were going to kidnap you and take you to the mental asylum, what would you think?

If you don't believe that it doesn't exist, why should you care?  Here's a good answer:  you shouldn't.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2005, 11:27:06 pm »
Whoa!  All he said was "I'm sorry."  That could be taken a lot of ways.  I could say that, meaning that I feel bad for you that you don't have faith, because it's quite rewarding.

And I could be offended because of your imposing that there is no god and that macroevolution is the 100% scientific truth that talks about how everyone came into existence, and that there is no meaning to life, but rather that we are a random accident; and that this system of belief is a controlling method so that society can exist 100% in a solely reason-based system.  But I'm not, because people have a right to have their own opinions.  I have the right to defend my opinions and my beliefs, just as much as you have the right do defend yours.  What you do not have the right to do, sir, is tell me that I cannot express or discuss my opinions or beliefs.  That, sir, is how society loses ideas.

Honestly, where do you get off calling him intolerant?  That is just blatantly rude and out of line.  I'm sorry it bothers you that I believe that if you don't have faith in Christ you won't be enjoying eternal life.  But that's what I believe, and I'm not sorry for my beliefs.  I believe it because I believe it's true, not because it's convenient.  And I certainly don't think that it's some kind of controlling method.  Look at protestant churches all over the US -- by and large, they do NOT have overarching authorities.  Each church is individually self-contained.  There are organizations that help them coordinate now and then, but it is most CERTAINLY not a system of control.  I can't speak to the Catholic church, though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 11:30:45 pm by MyndFyre[x86] »
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005, 11:29:30 pm »
Very nice post, Mynd.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 11:38:32 pm by Sidoh »

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2005, 01:57:30 pm »
Nice Myndfyre on all of your posts. :)

Being atheists takes  A LOT more faith than being christian.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

trust

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2005, 02:57:02 pm »
I've always thought of myself as a Christian, but, lately, I've been seeming to think more in an Agnostic way. I still beleive in God, but I question some of the things the Bible says (such as how we became). I guess it's not SO bad, Benjamin Franklin and many of those sorts of people were Agnostic. :P