Author Topic: Microsoft vs. * Antispyware/Antivirus programs?  (Read 15840 times)

Offline drka

• ffdshow > in_mp3.dll
    • View Profile

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Microsoft vs. * Antispyware/Antivirus programs?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 06:30:33 pm »
Haha, I like the first response, "Is this like the Mafia's 'protection'?"

But yeah, Microsoft created the market for a lot of the anti-virus/anti-spyware products, now they're trying to clean it up? 

If the protection is free, then that's helpful, and I'm glad they're providing.
If the protection costs money, then they're pretty low. 

Will it cost extra, or does it come free with Windows?  Anybody heard?

Offline drka

• ffdshow > in_mp3.dll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 12:31:09 am »
the article(or the link in the article) says that it comes bundled with Windows Vista(or w/e they will rename it to). that kinda sucks since other companies will prolly lose money on the fact that a user cant use 2 antivirus programs at once

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 12:32:11 am »
If it comes bundled, good for them.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 12:41:46 am »
the article(or the link in the article) says that it comes bundled with Windows Vista(or w/e they will rename it to). that kinda sucks since other companies will prolly lose money on the fact that a user cant use 2 antivirus programs at once
Are they making it so that you can't install another AV ;O ?!? (I don't feel like reading) but if so that's fucked up.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline drka

• ffdshow > in_mp3.dll
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 12:45:48 am »
if they do, Symatec will prolly file a lawsuit or some other random shit. but i dont think they will

the reason i said that the other companies will prolly lose money is because Anti-Virus/Spyware comes bundled with windows so there would be almost no point in installing another AV

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 12:47:51 am »
if they do, Symatec will prolly file a lawsuit or some other random shit. but i dont think they will

the reason i said that the other companies will prolly lose money is because Anti-Virus/Spyware comes bundled with windows so there would be almost no point in installing another AV

God damn, please set your title to "Captain Obvious", because you fit the position perfectly! :)
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 12:52:03 am »
Are they making it so that you can't install another AV ;O ?!? (I don't feel like reading) but if so that's fucked up.
That would be highly illegal, and Microsoft will get sued to death by every single AV company in the world.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 12:54:07 am »
Technically, it is their product.

If I made a business that sold cans specifically designed to hold coca-cola beverages, and they decided to make their own beverage holders, there isn't much I can really do. I could sue, but they'd laugh at me.

I could make beverage holders for orange juice, though. An alternative beverage, though a smaller market.

(Shitty comparison, but eh, blow me. :P)

There are always alternatives. OS X and *nix you can install whatever anti-spyware / anti-viruses you want. Hell, Kaspersky knows that. They have an anti-virus for linux!
- Newby

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 12:57:41 am »
Yea, but wouldn't the consumer be ticked off if the beverage holder had a major flaw while yours didn't?
Shouldn't the consumer have the right to use your beverage holder instead of the flawed one which put his beverage at potential risk?
Then again, he could switch to orange juice, which is better and healthier anyways ;P
But the orange juice is delivered with a hard to break seal and is tough to swallow at first :(
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 12:59:37 am »
Yes, but it's nothing you can sue someone over. If you don't like what you have to drink the beverage with, go blow a goat.

If we had karma, I'd +1 ergot for finding hidden message in comparisons. :)
- Newby

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 01:04:33 am »
Comparisons are bullshit here, yours is a total different degree. Just take this as it is, which is Microsoft illegaly using their monopoly to kill all other anti-virus companies.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 01:06:48 am »
They don't have a monopoly!

There are alternatives. OS X and *nix are the two biggest ones you'll hear of. :P

And forcing users to use their crappy anti-malware solutions is just more motivation for users to buy a Macintrash or learn *nix. It will also force anti-virus companies to work hard at developing anti-virus solutions for other operating systems!

Thus; this is just a good shift for users to move off of Windows Vista (the powerhouse requiring piece of art M$ is producing) and onto something a little more .. how do you say, realistic. (On-board cards are there for a reason. You should not need a good graphics card to use an OS...)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 01:09:35 am by Newby »
- Newby

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 01:08:34 am »
Sorry, but that gave me a pretty laugh. Could you say it in one sentence, "Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly," that way I can quote you with just one line?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 01:10:03 am »
Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly.
- Newby