Author Topic: Windows Server > Linux???  (Read 7903 times)

Offline drka

• ffdshow > in_mp3.dll
    • View Profile
Windows Server > Linux???
« on: October 10, 2005, 09:11:58 pm »

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Server > Linux???
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 09:16:09 pm »
Studies only show MSSQL as more secure than MySQL because all the vulnerabilities for MySQL are published, as opposed to 'whitehats' privately submitting vulnerability reports to MS. Of course you're going to find more public references to security for an open-source product than a closed-source one.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 09:18:08 pm »
A closed-source, well-funded piece of software will, in the end, always perform better than one that is open-source, and maintained as a hobby.

If Windows is at the end is the question that should be asked.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 09:45:05 pm »
Not to mention the fact that MySQL is free.  That's definitely a component to consider when you're setting up a server.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 09:47:50 pm »
I highly doubt any piece of open source software you use today is maintained as a hobby Newby.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 10:16:34 pm »
I highly doubt any piece of open source software you use today is maintained as a hobby Newby.

Do they get paid for it? Is it their job?

I don't know many open-source communities that pay people to code for a project, then release that project for free.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 10:19:03 pm »
Do they get paid for it? Is it their job?

I don't know many open-source communities that pay people to code for a project, then release that project for free.
A lot of them rely on donations.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 10:23:23 pm »
Donations are not guaranteed. It's not a job if you work off of donations. That's essentially volunteer work ("donations are desired/welcome"), or a hobby, if you will.
- Newby

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 10:26:51 pm »
Donations are not guaranteed. It's not a job if you work off of donations. That's essentially volunteer work ("donations are desired/welcome"), or a hobby, if you will.
When a project is successful and is used by thousands upon thousands, it's likely you've poured enough time into it to consider it your full time job.  It also generally implies that you're getting decent money through donations.

It may not be a stable source of income, but it certainly is there.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 10:31:26 pm »
If you look at the CAD, that guy's hobby is his job. That goes for many musicians as well. They do it because they love it, and if you have a passion for something the end product usually ends up better than some random guy who hates his job and gets paid x amount.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 10:43:25 pm »
If you actually talk to the developers of Windows XP, they actually aren't arrogant assholes like you make them out to be. Their goal in life is to produce the best operating system on the planet, and they actually value your input. They code with a personal goal in mind: to produce a good secure OS.

Considering it is on 95% of the world's desktop computers, I'd say they've done a pretty good fuckin' job.

Those are the kind of developers that get paid $$$, that develop an OS as something they enjoy.

Compared to the developers of Linux, that develop it in their spare time and live off of donations, they make a boltload more, and have the funding to keep Windows alive for eons to come, even if nobody buys it!
- Newby

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 10:45:53 pm »
Despite the fact that this is true, they still make a living.

Perhaps they'd rather do that and know they're developing open source software that ultimately benefits the programming community more.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 10:53:15 pm »
Its not even donations. Take Linus who works at the OSDL for example, he gets paid to work on Linux more or less. The same goes for a lot of the bigger names in the open source world.

Also note that MySQL sells their product so its hardly a good example of people working on something as a hobby.

One of the people behind Firefox was picked up by Google, haven't a clue what he actually does there he might still be working on Firefox.

Then we have the Gentoo guy who was hired by Microsoft to do Linux related things. The list goes on and on but the truth is large corporations are funding a vast amount of the work done by people in the open source world.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 11:01:56 pm »
Its not even donations. Take Linus who works at the OSDL for example, he gets paid to work on Linux more or less. The same goes for a lot of the bigger names in the open source world.

Also note that MySQL sells their product so its hardly a good example of people working on something as a hobby.

One of the people behind Firefox was picked up by Google, haven't a clue what he actually does there he might still be working on Firefox.

Then we have the Gentoo guy who was hired by Microsoft to do Linux related things. The list goes on and on but the truth is large corporations are funding a vast amount of the work done by people in the open source world.

1. The bigger names are obviously going to get paid to do what they do.

2. I didn't use MySQL as an example.

3. Now that he has a job at Google, we'll see how much time he (himself) has left to develop Firefox.

4. You've cited only a few examples. Only a few big names I'll believe actually have jobs developing open source software, so eh.
- Newby

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 11:05:48 pm »
The fact remains though.  You can make a living coding for an open source project, which was my original point.