Author Topic: Windows Server > Linux???  (Read 8963 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Windows Server > Linux???
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005, 02:33:12 am »
Incidentally, a lot of people doing cutting edge work (like working on the FreeBSD packet filter -- I was going to be recommended for this but turned it down) -- get research grants from the government. 

Offline drka

• ffdshow > in_mp3.dll
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 02:39:38 am »
Then we have the Gentoo guy who was hired by Microsoft to do Linux related things.
i think he's working on an Linux version of IE. according to wikipedia, IE is planned to be made for Linux as well

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 03:24:17 am »
Then we have the Gentoo guy who was hired by Microsoft to do Linux related things.
i think he's working on an Linux version of IE. according to wikipedia, IE is planned to be made for Linux as well
Bull... I saw an article some where stating they would not ;P
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 08:02:10 am »
Donations are not guaranteed. It's not a job if you work off of donations. ..

Well, the guy who invented BitTorrent is making a living (and more) off his donations right now.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Vex3

• Rick James Bitch!
  • I am Agarwaen!
    • View Profile
    • Vex3 Solutions
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 08:04:14 am »
Personally I would have to say an open source project is not about the pay, it is about the outcome at the end. When a programmer gets a sense of recognition, that alone is the pay. It introduces the programmer into the world of business where a lot of companies look over there accomplishments and then hire them.

Windows Server is stable.
Windows is stable.

It's not the operating system, it's the user.

And that is coming from someone who uses Slackware Linux 95% of the time.
Wish I had more hands, give those tities four thumbs down!

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2005, 12:11:31 pm »
When a programmer gets a sense of recognition, that alone is the pay.
That might be true for most of us, but it won't feed your kids at the end of the day.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2005, 01:35:00 pm »

Well, the guy who invented BitTorrent is making a living (and more) off his donations right now.
He didn't invent BitTorrent, BitTorrent is a cheap nockoff of 0day (not the blackhat bullshit), BitTorrent is a lousy secondary for people who don't want to contribute back to the ripping community.

Offline TheSickEmpire

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2005, 03:19:32 pm »

He didn't invent BitTorrent, BitTorrent is a cheap nockoff of 0day (not the blackhat bullshit), BitTorrent is a lousy secondary for people who don't want to contribute back to the ripping community.

I guess that's why people use BT, and 0day is completely unoticed by the internet. Bit Torrent isin't only used for piracy.

On-Topic: The fact is, linux is 100x more scalable than Windows. This will be one of the deciding factors in the Google V. Microsoft war. Google can easily, and cheaply scale up and Microsoft will be left in the dust with Windows. It's not as if they can use Linux, that'd be like conceding to the enemy.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2005, 03:36:49 pm »

I guess that's why people use BT, and 0day is completely unoticed by the internet. Bit Torrent isin't only used for piracy.

On-Topic: The fact is, linux is 100x more scalable than Windows. This will be one of the deciding factors in the Google V. Microsoft war. Google can easily, and cheaply scale up and Microsoft will be left in the dust with Windows. It's not as if they can use Linux, that'd be like conceding to the enemy.
0day is unnoticed by the "internet" because it's more private, leaving it to a lot less harm from the public, therefore evading most all instances of you getting caught with illegal software/media.

0day is MUCH bigger, MUCH faster, and MUCH more reliable the BitTorrent because everyone in the 0day ripping community knows/trusts one another, 0day has their movies weeks before BitTorrent even comes close to touching the file.

You can't argue with me because not even the "great all-knowing Google" has information on it, therefore, other then by what I say on it, you have no info to go against me with.

Offline TheSickEmpire

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2005, 03:55:26 pm »
0day is unnoticed by the "internet" because it's more private, leaving it to a lot less harm from the public, therefore evading most all instances of you getting caught with illegal software/media.

0day is MUCH bigger, MUCH faster, and MUCH more reliable the BitTorrent because everyone in the 0day ripping community knows/trusts one another, 0day has their movies weeks before BitTorrent even comes close to touching the file.

You can't argue with me because not even the "great all-knowing Google" has information on it, therefore, other then by what I say on it, you have no info to go against me with.

I have to admit, when I first answered you I was running under the assumption that 0day was actually a P2P program, which after a little research I come to find it's nowhere on the internet. Why, you ask? Because it doen't exist. 0day is a term used for files leaked before an official release date. It also has another meaning pertaining to exploits released and/or used before sys admins have any defense for it.

I think you're confused.

If I'm wrong, show me something. Because, based on what I've read it doesn't exist(as a P2P network/program).

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2005, 04:03:11 pm »
I think its impracticle to base your soul income on donations (Hehe at churches).  Its nice the people work for the opensource world, but you also have to have an income job.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2005, 04:04:12 pm »

I have to admit, when I first answered you I was running under the assumption that 0day was actually a P2P program, which after a little research I come to find it's nowhere on the internet. Why, you ask? Because it doen't exist. 0day is a term used for files leaked before an official release date. It also has another meaning pertaining to exploits released and/or used before sys admins have any defense for it.

I think you're confused.

If I'm wrong, show me something. Because, based on what I've read it doesn't exist(as a P2P network/program).
That would be the definition of the "not the blackhat bullshit" I posted earlier, read up on it more.

You have no correct information on it because it's not a program, it's not a website, it's not public, and I already told you Google WONT find it, and as you can see, I was correct.

Once again, as I also said in my recent post, you can't argue with me on this because you don't have any information to go against me with, you're going by the exact human flaw; "Well, if I can't see it, it must not exist." And you're wrong, because I use it, friends of mine use it, and it does exist, however, we keep it so closed to the public, that we can talk about it and have no need to fear about it being found, because the public is too misleaded to know where to look.

Offline TheSickEmpire

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2005, 04:13:00 pm »

I think you're confused.

That would be the definition of the "not the blackhat bullshit" I posted earlier, read up on it more.

You have no correct information on it because it's not a program, it's not a website, it's not public, and I already told you Google WONT find it, and as you can see, I was correct.

Once again, as I also said in my recent post, you can't argue with me on this because you don't have any information to go against me with, you're going by the exact human flaw; "Well, if I can't see it, it must not exist." And you're wrong, because I use it, friends of mine use it, and it does exist, however, we keep it so closed to the public, that we can talk about it and have no need to fear about it being found, because the public is too misleaded to know where to look.

It's not a flaw, it's logic. The fact is, you're not proveing anything to anyone. You're telling me that there is an underground network of pirates. I have the compacity to believe that. But, you're not giveing me any reason too believe it. Prove it exists, you don't have to say it here. I wouldn't ask that of you.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005, 05:16:26 pm »
Congrats. You know some IRC channels where they leak promos for albums.

I get my promos months before they come out. BitTorrent communities > "0day communities"

Fuck IRC. BitTorrent for life. :P

EDIT -- How is BitTorrent a knock off of a concept of "0day" files? (Files released before they come out?)

BitTorrent has its own protocol. 0day utilizes IRC (XDCC) mainly, but can utilize any other services. I get lots of "0days" via BitTorrent.

BitTorrent is based on the concept of sharing. That's why when it finishes downloading you continue to seed until you tell it to stop. On IRC, you have to continually send the file when people request it. On BitTorrent, people just ask you for pieces and you send them the pieces.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 05:25:58 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2005, 05:33:40 pm »

Doubtful. I bet Microsoft can make Windows do whatever they need, and as such the OS will have little to do against competition from web based products.

Scr33n0r: Nice little bullshit story you are spinning there. Of course you do realize that if such a thing really existed it would be on search engines like Google. You just talked about it here and if it really does have a userbase > 0 others will talk about it too. Search engines find these things and they show up when you search for them. Of course when you go searching for a load of bullshit you won't find anything because few people are stupid enough to spread the lies.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham