Author Topic: Is the world coming to an end?  (Read 6161 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Is the world coming to an end?
« on: October 12, 2005, 09:32:54 pm »
My friend believes that it is.

"Look at all the tsunami's, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.. The Mayans were right. The world is coming to an end December 23rd, 2012."

What do you believe?

Personally, I think it is a load of crap.

Discuss.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
Re: Is the world coming to an end?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 10:02:11 pm »
It's crap.  Just a bunch of bad things all happening at once is a coincidence.  Look at science for answers, religion is just more questions.
-RoMi

Offline xex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 11:14:33 pm »
How I see it it's techinally science to the Mayan;
http://www.levity.com/eschaton/Why2012.html

2012 The Mayan Prophercy, Yet another Topic
Category:(Predictions) Created:(4/11/2004 6:30:00 PM) Viewed (8312 times)

Well let me first say this, Sorry about another Mayan Prophercy Topic. But I have just read this book, Ironically called "The Mayan Prophercies".

Well this book statse what MIGHT happen, it involves Sun Spots, Earth Electro-Magnetic Field, Atlantis, Egyptions and the depletion of human live. I shall not go deep into the book but will (if I can still remember) keep to the basics of the prophercies. Read on if your still intersted.

Ok, Glad some off you are still here, lets get started.

Ok, The Mayans and some Egyptions are beleived to of orginated from Atlantis, which is also beleived to have sunk years ago in the antlantic ocean. searches for this mythical place have yet to discover any ancient artifacts. Now, During the Atlantis existance on Earth, there was a global catastrophe, Polar Ice-caps began to melt rising the sea level, gigantic Earthquakes, vasts Volcanic eruptions, basically all hell broke loose, I guess you could say Mother Nature had a stroke.

Now the people in Atlantis fled the flooding, sinking island of Atlantis to higher grounds, most forsaw the end coming and had fled months/years earlier, but for those that stayed till the end almost all died. The two most safest places to go were, 1. Higher ground, such as the mountains. 2. Egypt, Now I dont precisly remember why but It was todo with the isolation from the rest of the world.

But anyway thoughs that fled to Egypt joined the Egyption civilisation, The Egyptions where the first to have fled from Atlantis, many years before it disappeared, so by then they had already had the Pyramids being built and had the Egyption life as we now know it. Those that fled the the 'hills' started a new life as well their new calander, which coincidently ended when all this started. (bet you can already guess when this new one ends).

Now the fundaments of this Mayan Calandar is too complication for me to have remembered (I've slept since), But it had alot to do with Astronomy, mostly our Sun, Venus and the Pleiades. Each of there years started when the Pleiades rose on a certain point in our skys. And just like our Calandar after a lengthy time it ends and starts over again, with us we get to the 31st of December 2004 then we start a new year of 1st January 2005, with them it gets to the end of there 'whatever' year and starts a new one.

And this is where I have to think as it gets way too complicated for my feeble brain. So I will blend it to a crisp for you guys to understand. Archaeologists and entusiasts have finally discovered how long there calandar is, such as how many days are in its year, and how many years are in their calandar, with this they now needed a start date. After much searching and puzzle solving (and I must say how the Mayans made these puzzles are beyond me). For example a hidden tablet which was in plane view for everybody to see and look at, I mean it was in total view, loads of people must have touch it studied it made sketchs of it. The Hidden Tabled was the lid of a Mayan God's Tomb which was big and weighed a ton, basically it was the same size and a matress for a single bed. Now ontop of this Lid had a drawing or image, an engraved drawing you would normally see around tombs.

Now like I say many people had seen looked and studied this, but it wasnt untill one enthusiast traced (with some tracing paper) the image from a art sketch a previous archaeologist had drawn years before. and with this he took one sketch, flipped and overlapped it with the drawing just so that the edges met at somepoint and and with the two imposed drawings made another image with just jumped out at him. his did this a numerous of times and found loads of images, from Past Gods, Constilations, and disasters that had previously happen. Now just sit back and think, just like i did, Picture your single bed matress as the lid of the tomb, now picture two of them. So now you have two solid 'Lids'. Now put a engraved picture on them both the same picture, lets just say a picture of you. turn one around so its upside down, and place them on top of each other (you still with me). now try and make another, different, picture out of them both, any image, dont forget just by using you head, they didnt have computers them a days. can't do it, then try making an image with two lids with the same complex diagram, and in stone so you cant see though it to see the bottom image. Infact just with tracing paper it would still seem a very hard trouble some task, and that'll be for a basic image of a coffee mug. The Mayans did this with just there minds. to me that means they must of had great mental visualisation skill.

But anyway back on track.

yes This person discovered hidden images with was infact a documentation of what had happen years ago, round about the same time Atlantis dissapeared and the Mayan Calandar restarted. With this knowledge he could now prideict when the Calandar started and with the knowledge of how long there Calandar lasts he could put an end date to it which is what we now know as 22nd December 2012.

But what will happen on this date? do I here you ask.

Well keeping to the very basics.

research has it that when modern day scientists put all the info they knew on the Mayans. By placing the Earth, Sun, in there correct orbit at the start of their Calandar, using Skymap as a reffrence. and ran through the ammount of days that are in the Mayan Calandar (which is over 1 million days). Into a simulation with showed the Earths Magnetic Field. They discovered that at the end of the Calandar the poles of the Earth flipped. So that North Became South and South Became North.

With this Magnetic Flip, The Earths Core also changed rotation who's vibrations went ripping though the Earth like a bad hangover. coursing Vocanoes to spew out projectile lava and molten rocks. and to vibrat the Earths plates so much it made it unstable and course Earthquakes which would knock down even the sturdiest buildings. and after Mother Nature had another stroke. The remaining survivors will again start new life but but at a very slow rate, because due to the magnetic flip, it has effected us as well as the Earth, the part of out brains which helps tell out body to create new "heh hum" sperm has been knocked out of sink due to the flip, making us reproduce at a very very low rate. Which is why The Mayans and also The Egyptions suddenly dissapeared for no reason, they just slowing died out without reproducing enough children.

I could go on all day if I had the book infront of me, but I had to take it back to the Library. So I'll leave you with the thought of what might happen to us.

The book that I got this info from is walled "The Mayan Prophercy" by Adrian G. Gilbert and Maurice Cotterell. This book go's alot more indepth then what I stated. Its a very good read if your interested in the Mayans. Hell at the time I wasnt really that into it, just thought hey Mayans heard them before, so picked it up registered it out and read it all.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 11:23:19 pm by xex »
Shadow Legion @ USeast
http://shadowlegion.org

c:\xex

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 11:26:07 pm »
Lets let a infamous variation of a song describe my feelings towards this:

"Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey hey, bull shit"
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 01:40:41 am »
It's crap.  Just a bunch of bad things all happening at once is a coincidence.  Look at science for answers, religion is just more questions.
I think you're wrong in saying that.  Science is just a big vat of questions and a few tools that we have to try to answer them.

Several times throughout history man has come to some conclusion, only to unveil more and more questions that exist because the answering of these questions.  Take Quantum Physics, for example.  The deeper we delve into it, the more we realize how much knowledge we lack to fully understand the universe.

Christianity teaches that we will never know when the end of the world will come, only God knows.  That's not a question, it's a straight up answer.

</offtopicrant>

<ontopic>

I think that this is bullshit, frankly.  More violent and severe hurricanes are somewhat due to global warming, but most of it is due to the randomness of nature.

The tsunami and earthquakes are probably nearly directly related, since they're both caused by the same natural phenomena.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 01:43:27 am by Sidoh »

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 03:24:54 am »
The tsunami and earthquakes are probably nearly directly related, since they're both caused by the same natural phenomena.
What I've heard is that the weather patterns have a ~30 year cycle, and that we're reaching the peak of it now, and that it has nothing at all to do with global warming.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline TheSickEmpire

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 05:15:32 am »
I think you're wrong in saying that.  Science is just a big vat of questions and a few tools that we have to try to answer them.

Several times throughout history man has come to some conclusion, only to unveil more and more questions that exist because the answering of these questions.  Take Quantum Physics, for example.  The deeper we delve into it, the more we realize how much knowledge we lack to fully understand the universe.

Christianity teaches that we will never know when the end of the world will come, only God knows.  That's not a question, it's a straight up answer.

Assuming one chooses to believe in Christianity.

What I've heard is that the weather patterns have a ~30 year cycle, and that we're reaching the peak of it now, and that it has nothing at all to do with global warming.

You should also take into account the fact that the Earth wasen't and won't always be as nice as it is now. Tens of thousands of years ago, the Earth would go into phases where you'd have ice covering the upper hemisphere, at some point the ice melts and would then trigger another ice age. I wouldn't so much attribute this to us, although, I'm sure we sped it up a few thousand years, but, we live on a violent planet. We're going to have to get used to it. 

« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 05:22:31 am by TheSickEmpire »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 09:29:57 am »
The world won't end in 2012, but it will change with the coming of the 6th world (we're currently on the Mayan's 5th world).  The magic will come back, and there'll be orks, trolls, dwarves, elves, etc. 

At least, that's what Shadowrun says. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 09:32:46 am »
Assuming one chooses to believe in Christianity.
I was giving an example of why religion gave more answers than questions, that was all.

Also, it's obvious that global warming has contributed to more intense hurricanes.  Warmer waters == more drastic difference in temperatures.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 09:50:11 am »
The world could end any time and nobody knows exactly when. It will happen though, sooner or later and it is kind of sick to think we could be the only species out of the trillions that have come and gone that contributed to the end of exsistence for all living things as we know it on Earth.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 10:36:51 am »
The world could end any time and nobody knows exactly when. It will happen though, sooner or later and it is kind of sick to think we could be the only species out of the trillions that have come and gone that contributed to the end of exsistence for all living things as we know it on Earth.
That last part didn't make sense.  :P

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 01:46:56 pm »
The world won't end in 2012, but it will change with the coming of the 6th world (we're currently on the Mayan's 5th world).  The magic will come back, and there'll be orks, trolls, dwarves, elves, etc. 

You'd like my friend....

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 02:58:08 pm »
That last part didn't make sense.  :P
I'm talking about humans causing the end of the world to happen it would not surprise me to see this happen .

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005, 12:47:49 am »
The world won't end in 2012, but it will change with the coming of the 6th world (we're currently on the Mayan's 5th world). The magic will come back, and there'll be orks, trolls, dwarves, elves, etc.

* deadly7 dies of laughter

Eh, if not by the end of this generation, by the end of the next I predict that the earth will be uninhabitable.  Reasons? Pollution, large population, and the fact that everybody's already killing everybody else.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2005, 02:23:52 am »
Eh, if not by the end of this generation, by the end of the next I predict that the earth will be uninhabitable.  Reasons? Pollution, large population, and the fact that everybody's already killing everybody else.
I don't think so, but whatever humps your camel.

Offline TheSickEmpire

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 10:26:11 am »

I'm starting to like this '6th world'.