Author Topic: Abortions  (Read 19661 times)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Abortions
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2005, 11:50:00 am »
- It was written 600 years after the death of Jesus Christ, so how can any of it be 'the words of Jesus Christ', nobody he knew was alive for 600 years, sorry to burst your bubbles.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you think that, then you're wrong.  Historically speaking, many of the new testament books / letters were written around 50 years after the death of Jesus.  Many people who saw the events took place would have still been around for that.  The first 4 books of the Bible were written by Moses, obviously during his lifetime (because otherwise they wouldn't be written by him); while many of the events recorded in the book of Genesis would have not been experienced firsthand by him, those following would have been.  The Bible as a whole was written over a great deal of time.

- It has 2 different stories for the creation of man, 1) Adam & Eve ; 2) God created man in a day ( or w/e it is )
Um.... k.  They're the same story.  God created Adam in a day.  There is an undefined length of time between that event and the creation of woman.

Overall, IMO the Bible has very little to do with a secularist's point of view on abortion anyway.  But if you're going to have an opinion about the Bible, it should be grounded at least in fact.

- It was written 600 years after the death of Jesus Christ, so how can any of it be 'the words of Jesus Christ', nobody he knew was alive for 600 years, sorry to burst your bubbles.
If God created the universe, he wouldn't create it with C14 enough to predict the age of some object.  Carbon dating is a completely useless practice if you're religious and you believe God created the universe.
I hesitate to stick with you on this point.  It's apparent that God created the universe "old" (as He did with Adam).  Although I still think carbon dating is relatively unreliable.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 11:51:46 am by MyndFyre[x86] »
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline drka

• ffdshow > in_mp3.dll
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2005, 01:05:42 pm »
2) God created man in a day ( or w/e it is )
*6 days

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2005, 01:10:55 pm »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2005, 01:52:55 pm »
*6 days
... I'm not even going to touch that one.  Besides, rabbit already put it in terms nicer than I would be able to.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2005, 03:58:53 pm »
It has 2 different stories for the creation of man, 1) Adam & Eve ; 2) God created man in a day ( or w/e it is )

"Adam" and "Eve" are literally the hebrew words for "Man" and "Woman". Its the same thing.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2005, 05:27:44 pm »
Although you'll piss people off by leaving a dog in a car, it's still not considered murder. Animals are killed all the time.
Humans are animals, too.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2005, 07:35:53 pm »
Although you'll piss people off by leaving a dog in a car, it's still not considered murder. Animals are killed all the time.
Humans are animals, too.
That's a whole other can of worms. 

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2005, 08:02:09 pm »
So does anyone care to debate when a human is a human and has a human reality-concept mind?
We are not scientists, so there is absolutely nothing we can do to debate it except assume on a subject that we have no clue about.

I think everyone here agreed that abortion is wrong if the fetis has concept of reality, correct? So basically, there is nothing else to debate about because it's impossible for us (the people at these forums) to decide when a fetis gets this concept of reality, which means our conclusion is that abortion is wrong unless the fetis has a concept of reality.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2005, 08:23:18 pm »
You think that Scientists can determine that?  I think you're wrong.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2005, 09:57:45 pm »
The necessary characteristics to debate this topic well:
a) Willing to give up their most basic beliefs
b) Not religious, but willing to consider religion
c) Willing to accept that what they see might not be all that exists
d) Attempting to discover the Truth, not looking to prove their own beliefs

(note: c and b are basically subset of a)

That is exactly what Philosophers strive for.  It's also known as "Free Thinking".  I know very few people like that, and I don't think any of you (or myself) fits into that.  You're all out to prove yourselves right, not to understand the issue.  That's the first mistake. 

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2005, 11:31:09 pm »
I never said they could, I was just trying to prove that we don't even have a chance.

That is exactly what Philosophers strive for.  It's also known as "Free Thinking".  I know very few people like that, and I don't think any of you (or myself) fits into that.  You're all out to prove yourselves right, not to understand the issue.  That's the first mistake.
Is that directed towards me or other people? I just quickly skimmed the topic and read what most people believe, then came up with a conclusion. Anyways, I totally agree with you here, it's really hard to do and I've been trying to do it for a while.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2005, 12:02:08 am »
I never said they could, I was just trying to prove that we don't even have a chance.
Hehe, I really don't think anyone stands a chance without some omniscient advice.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2005, 12:52:35 am »
The Bible is a collection of stories, there is no singular author, and if you are going to say Moses wrote the bible, show some scientific evidence, and show me that there was a man named Noah who herded 2 of every animal in the world on a big arc and lived for 600 years, and how X(I forget her name) conceived if I remember correctly, mutliple hundreds of children.  Nothing in the bible makes any sense, it was written by some drunk who heard stories. This topic was meant for abortions, split it and keep on topic please  :(

Stay on topic, this has nothing to do with the bible.

http://everystudent.com/features/bible.html
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 12:54:27 am by Furious »
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2005, 02:22:56 am »
No, this discussion is closely related enough to not split it.

Secondly, Religion is FAITH you're not supposed to be able to explain everything about it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2005, 03:38:23 am »

Is that directed towards me or other people? I just quickly skimmed the topic and read what most people believe, then came up with a conclusion. Anyways, I totally agree with you here, it's really hard to do and I've been trying to do it for a while.

It wasn't directed at anybody, it was directed at everybody in this thread, including myself.  Nobody here is qualified to discuss this and come to a useful conclusion. 

FAITH is dumb.  I'd prefer to see proof.  Read St. Augustine and Decartes. 

And yes, this issue has plenty to do with the Bible.