Author Topic: Abortions  (Read 23875 times)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Abortions
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2005, 05:23:49 am »
The Bible is a collection of stories, there is no singular author, and if you are going to say Moses wrote the bible, show some scientific evidence, and show me that there was a man named Noah who herded 2 of every animal in the world on a big arc and lived for 600 years, and how X(I forget her name) conceived if I remember correctly, mutliple hundreds of children.  Nothing in the bible makes any sense, it was written by some drunk who heard stories. This topic was meant for abortions, split it and keep on topic please  :(
No.  You can't expect to make your bible-bashing point, get away with it, and then claim other people are going off-topic.  Show me the drunk who heard stories.  The Bible has stood up to much more rigorous literary critique than most other ancient texts.  Do you know how many thousands of copies, in whole or in part, of the Bible there are in various languages?  I didn't say that Moses wrote the Bible; I'm saying he wrote the first four books of the Bible (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers).  These were during times in which he was alive starting (IIRC) around Exodus 12.  Other books are credited to other authors such as prophets (Daniel, Ezekiel, etc. come to mind); David and Solomon, among others (Psalms and Proverbs); Paul, who wrote much of the New Testament; and the gospel authors.

FAITH is dumb.  I'd prefer to see proof.  Read St. Augustine and Decartes. 
I would agree that blind faith is dumb.  But as I've said before, I don't believe that Christians need to have blind faith.

And yes, this issue has plenty to do with the Bible. 
I disagree.  If the Bible isn't true, then it frankly has nothing to do with the Bible.  From a practical point of view, in a secular society, we're not going to base laws off of the Bible anyway.

I would say this: my principles are guided by my faith.  However, I'm not going to impose those principles on others unless I can come up with a reasonable, secular argument.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2005, 08:10:24 am »
I'm not religious in any way, I have no faith, and if it can't be logically explained then the bible is a load of shit. I didn't bring up the bible, someone else did, abortions have nothing to do with the bible, or any other religious book at all.  The morals of a human being aren't based on a book, you don't learn morals, you shouldn't have to have some book trying to explain why everything is, if incest is a sin, how is it that Adam and Eve were the 'creators', as Carlos Mencia pointed out  :P "..someone had to bone their sister."
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline TheSickEmpire

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2005, 10:24:45 am »
I'm not religious in any way, I have no faith, and if it can't be logically explained then the bible is a load of shit. I didn't bring up the bible, someone else did, abortions have nothing to do with the bible, or any other religious book at all.  The morals of a human being aren't based on a book, you don't learn morals, you shouldn't have to have some book trying to explain why everything is, if incest is a sin, how is it that Adam and Eve were the 'creators', as Carlos Mencia pointed out  :P "..someone had to bone their sister."

You realize, bashing the Bible won't get you anywhere? If you want people to respect your opinion, you have to respect theirs.

I have a quite simple view on abortion, first I'd like to say this: I would never want someone to have an Abortion. If I knocked some girl up, I personally wouldn't want her to have an abortion. I'm not to sure how far I would go with this view, I don't think I can say with certainty. With that said, here is my opinion on Abortion.

I have no right to tell someone weather or not to have an Abortion, neither does the Bible, or it's followers. Nobody does. This choice is a choice that should be made, and only be made by a childs parents.

I realize what people are going to say next, "what about that mother/father who puts the baby in a garbage bag and throws it in the trash"? Well, all I can say about these people is that they're not fit to be parents in the first place, I'd also question their humanity.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2005, 10:28:17 am »
If I knocked some girl up, I personally wouldn't want her to have an abortion.
I have no right to tell someone weather or not to have an Abortion, ... This choice is a choice that should be made, and only be made by a childs parents.
?

Offline TheSickEmpire

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2005, 10:29:45 am »
If I knocked some girl up, I personally wouldn't want her to have an abortion.
I have no right to tell someone weather or not to have an Abortion, ... This choice is a choice that should be made, and only be made by a childs parents.
?

Did you forget how to read?

I said the child parents, if I knocked up a girl, I would be the parent.

Fucking idiot.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2005, 10:54:14 am »
You said you didn't have the right.  Just clarifying.  Thank you, Mr. Ass.

Offline TheSickEmpire

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2005, 10:56:21 am »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2005, 11:41:10 am »
I'm not religious in any way, I have no faith, and if it can't be logically explained then the bible is a load of shit. I didn't bring up the bible

Read "Confessions" by "Saint Augustine" -- he logically proves the existance of the Christian God.

Augustine was a "bad" kid, didn't believe in religion, and was of loose moral virtues, so to speak.  When he grew up, he became a Philosopher, and decided that it IS possible to logically prove the existance of God. 

As I said, unless people here are prepared to give up their beliefs, as Augustine did, we aren't going to go anywhere in the argument. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2005, 12:13:45 pm »
FAITH is dumb. I'd prefer to see proof. Read St. Augustine and Decartes.
There are things in this world (asside from religion even) that humans are unable to understand, explain or logically rationalize why they behave the way they do.  The way I see it, I have to have faith.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2005, 12:56:12 pm »
Based on the types of responses in here about religious-based and non-religous-based, we're going to have to come up with 2 conclusions. One for all the non-relgious people, and one for Christians who look at both the bible and some logic for their answers. Perhaps a thread split? We're obviously not gonna go anywhere with these arguements about religion.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2005, 01:23:51 pm »
Based on the types of responses in here about religious-based and non-religous-based, we're going to have to come up with 2 conclusions. One for all the non-relgious people, and one for Christians who look at both the bible and some logic for their answers. Perhaps a thread split? We're obviously not gonna go anywhere with these arguements about religion.
Hehe.  I think we should just drop the religion argument out of this thread. =)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2005, 04:55:08 pm »

What about people who are religious and not Christian?

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2005, 07:07:28 pm »
I was actually referring to christianity as a whole, which includes the Jewish religion.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2005, 07:24:11 pm »
My views on abortion are basic. If the parents both agree that they want an abortion, more power to them. Especially if it's in a situtation where the child being born would hurt the parents. For instance, a sixteen-year-old teenager, it would ruin her life to have a child, and the fathers life. I believe abortion is up to the parents, at this time of my life, if I was ever in that situation, I would want my partner to have an abortion.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2005, 08:04:59 pm »
I was actually referring to christianity as a whole, which includes the Jewish religion.

Not all religions that believe in God are based on Christianity.  In fact, not everybody who believes in God is religious. :P