Author Topic: GAIM Problem - Rate limiting error  (Read 6271 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: GAIM Problem - Rate limiting error
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005, 02:29:06 pm »
Duh, that's why I linked to my thing. It sounds plausible, at least, since EVERYONE is away 24/7.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2005, 03:36:40 pm »
I'm getting this quite a bit now also.
-RoMi

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2005, 03:45:29 pm »
I got it when I logged on overnight! Stupid disconnect.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2005, 06:12:41 pm »
Since you're on XP, screw GAIM, use Trillian, I personally think it's better :/
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2005, 06:17:01 pm »
Trillian's a hog, no thanks.
-RoMi

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2005, 07:14:29 pm »
Since you're on XP, screw GAIM, use Trillian, I personally think it's better :/

Not only is Trillian Pro (Basic isn't even worth mentioning, much less using) eats up resources, and this clan is mainly made up of gamers, that should be your clue right there. But, I'll continue.

Now, this is a biased opinion, but you'll get over it. I've used Trillian Pro for a few years, and Gaim for a few months, at least on WindowsXP. So don't go thinking I'm ignorant on each of these subjects.

Price

- Trillian Pro costs a tidy sum to use, forcing the majority of users to pirate it. This is quite unethical to most, and a large downside when there are free alternatives THAT DO ALL OF THE SAME FEATURES, SOMETIMES BETTER.

- Not only is Gaim free, but it's open source. This is a huge advantage, especially in the next few sections.

Bugs and Patches

- Cerulean Studios is horrible at patches. They only patch when something big breaks, like one of their plugins for the different services, and they get bitched at enough to be motivated to fix it. Often times, large gaping holes are left open, as exemplified in the next section.

- Gaim is always up-to-date, especially because it's open source. There is a consistant amount of patches being submitted to the beta versions by different programmers, and since the code is available it's easier to find and correct bugs before they are even a problem.

Security

- I remember iago mentioning something about Skywing and Yoni's debate over Trillian Pro's security. I believe it ended in Skywing using a year-old exploit in Trillian Pro to run arbitrary code on Yoni's machine. That exploit is still unpatched.

- Again, open source allows security issues to be fixed before they are discovered and exploited.

I think you get the point. I'm kinda lazy, but I could continue.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2005, 08:51:11 pm »
I believe you mean:

Trillians Identd is susceptible to a buffer overflow
Release Date: 2002-09-17
Secunia Advisory ID: SA7115
Solution Status: Unpatched
Impact: System access
Where: From remote
Short Description:
When using Trillian to connect to IRC it is necessary to have indent running, Trillians ident suffers a buffer overflow. [Read More]

That's for Trillian1.  Although it doesn't affect most people, it's evidence on how they don't patch.  3+years later..

This one is for Trillian3:
   Trillian Exposure of User Credentials
Release Date: 2005-08-01
Secunia Advisory ID: SA16289
Solution Status: Unpatched
Impact: Exposure of sensitive information
Where: Local system
Short Description:
Suramya Tomar has discovered a security issue in Trillian, which can be exploited by malicious, local users to gain knowledge of sensitive information, including passwords. [Read More]

The reason for that one is that Trillian stores account information in public folders, in plaintext.  Gaim stores account information in plaintext; however, it stores it in private folders. 

Here's some more:

CVE reference:   CAN-2005-0874
CAN-2005-0875

Description:
LogicLibrary has reported some vulnerabilities in Trillian, allowing malicious people to compromise a users system.

The vulnerabilities are caused due to boundary errors in the handling of HTTP/1.1 response headers. This can be exploited to cause a heap-based buffer overflow and execute arbitrary code by sending a maliciously crafted HTTP/1.1 response.

Successful exploitation requires that the attacker controls a server, which Trillian connects to, or is able to conduct a Man-in-the-Middle attack.

The vulnerabilities have been reported in the AIM, Yahoo, MSN, RSS and possibly other plug-ins in Trillian 2.0. It has also been reported in the Yahoo IM and possibly other plug-ins in Trillian version 3.0 and 3.1.

Note: of all Trillian vulnerabilities in all versions, only one has ever been patched
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 08:52:48 pm by iago »