Author Topic: Religion  (Read 8470 times)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Religion
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 02:52:01 am »
I don't think you read what I said. What I was saying is that I don't think God would basically punish me ("it shall be as weeping and the gnashing of teeth.") because I didn't believe some book that said he loved me, and that said he supposedly existed without giving any proof at all. If he gives people choice to believe in him or not, he probably knows that some people won't believe some book because some people don't believe just anything that they read, so I feel that he proves himself to people like me, which brings me back to my statement: I'm staying agnostic until he gives me reason to believe he exists.
He gave you a reason to believe he exists, approximately 1972 years ago (AD 33).

If you can logically argue for the supernatural (I believe you can, and I've attempted it here or at vL), then you can accept that Christ died and resurrected while staying within the realm of logic.

If that event took place, I'd say that the other claims of Jesus are probably pretty reliable.  For example, in a letter written by Paul (one of the New Testament books, I can't remember which), he says that our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit.  Jesus claimed "Destroy this temple and I will rebuild it in three days."  According to the resurrection account, Jesus' body was "destroyed" (so to speak) through death, and he resurrected on the third day following his death.

He'd also said, "I and the Father (God) are one."  Most churches take that to mean that they are the same being; essentially, Jesus claimed that he was God.

A small girl made the comment, "Jesus was everything God ever wanted to say to us."  Quite well-put IMHO.

Do you doubt Plato?  Socrates?  Aristotle -- that they existed?  They lived just as long ago, and you only read it in a book that they existed.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 09:26:41 am »
So people who believe in heaven and hell believe that there are multiple billions of souls, people, whatever you might call them, staying in heaven, or hell, I just see no logic in that, and I'm not trying to say that reincarnation shows logic, but it does make more sense IMO.
That's a very illogical argument in itself.  Heaven isn't necessarily a place which we are capable of fully understanding, as the Bible portrays it (and that's the Heaven I believe in).

Plus, if you believe we have a soul (which I do), I think almost everyone agrees that it's non-physical.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 09:33:34 am »
I don't think you read what I said. What I was saying is that I don't think God would basically punish me ("it shall be as weeping and the gnashing of teeth.") because I didn't believe some book that said he loved me, and that said he supposedly existed without giving any proof at all. If he gives people choice to believe in him or not, he probably knows that some people won't believe some book because some people don't believe just anything that they read, so I feel that he proves himself to people like me, which brings me back to my statement: I'm staying agnostic until he gives me reason to believe he exists.
He gave you a reason to believe he exists, approximately 1972 years ago (AD 33).
I wasn't alive 1972 years ago, so how do I know it really did happen?
If you can logically argue for the supernatural (I believe you can, and I've attempted it here or at vL), then you can accept that Christ died and resurrected while staying within the realm of logic.

If that event took place, I'd say that the other claims of Jesus are probably pretty reliable.  For example, in a letter written by Paul (one of the New Testament books, I can't remember which), he says that our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit.  Jesus claimed "Destroy this temple and I will rebuild it in three days."  According to the resurrection account, Jesus' body was "destroyed" (so to speak) through death, and he resurrected on the third day following his death.

He'd also said, "I and the Father (God) are one."  Most churches take that to mean that they are the same being; essentially, Jesus claimed that he was God.

A small girl made the comment, "Jesus was everything God ever wanted to say to us."  Quite well-put IMHO.
Are these words supposed to make me all of a sudden believe?
Do you doubt Plato?  Socrates?  Aristotle -- that they existed?  They lived just as long ago, and you only read it in a book that they existed.
It doesn't matter if they existed or not, so I've never really thought about it; all that matters is the philisophical information in those books.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 09:44:14 am »
Also, the year "0" is an arbitrary point in the course of human history; Biblical scholars estimate the earth's age to be closer to 4,750 years last I read.

I was using 2000 as an example, because if you didn't notice, it's 2005. And even with 177 million people born per year, that still is a huge amount ( 9,500,000 million ) and iago and I seem to have some of the same views, they speak of heaven like it is a physical place, but nobody has ever seen it, you can't give me the coordinates of heaven.

I do not doubt them, they have written books, and have had books and records kept about them from when they were alive, I do not see any books that were written by a "God", or any records proving the existance of god.  And there is a difference, all of those people died, and never came back, unlike Jesus who died and came back, and the god nobody has ever seen, or heard.  I don't doubt Jesus lived, but he wasn't a carpenter, he was actually royalty, and he was just a normal man.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 10:16:48 am »
"What's a Jewish robot? Does that mean you don't believe in Robot Jesus"

"We believe that Robot Jesus was built, and that it was a very well built robot; however, we do not believe he was our savior"

-Futurama

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2005, 10:25:06 am »
Alls i'm going to say on religon is if this is the best God can do that i'am not impressed. I really do hope life is not just a big joke cause I don't get it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2005, 11:38:32 am »
Alls i'm going to say on religon is if this is the best God can do that i'am not impressed. I really do hope life is not just a big joke cause I don't get it.

If this is the best God (or evolution) can do, then I'm VERY impressed.  The universe is such a beatifully complex thing, and so is life. 

Whether it's God or evolution that made this, I'm still impressed. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2005, 12:52:29 pm »
Also, the year "0" is an arbitrary point in the course of human history; Biblical scholars estimate the earth's age to be closer to 4,750 years last I read.

I was using 2000 as an example, because if you didn't notice, it's 2005. And even with 177 million people born per year, that still is a huge amount ( 9,500,000 million ) and iago and I seem to have some of the same views, they speak of heaven like it is a physical place, but nobody has ever seen it, you can't give me the coordinates of heaven.

I do not doubt them, they have written books, and have had books and records kept about them from when they were alive, I do not see any books that were written by a "God", or any records proving the existance of god.  And there is a difference, all of those people died, and never came back, unlike Jesus who died and came back, and the god nobody has ever seen, or heard.  I don't doubt Jesus lived, but he wasn't a carpenter, he was actually royalty, and he was just a normal man.
I think even your historical views are very skewed.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2005, 01:56:32 pm »

You're missing my point.  I think you're the only one who has attributed corporeality to heaven.  Also, the birthrate per year has increased over time in a form more closely approximated by the positive half of an exponential function (where the exponent is greater than 1).  Your method for calculating the total number of people born is flawed.  Let b(x) = the number of people born per year, with x given as the year from the first two humans to present, and T = total number of humans born, and y = the absolute number of years since then:
T = int(x = 0 to y) b(x)
When humans came into being, they weren't birthing at 133 million per year like they are now.

How do I know that the books supposedly written by or about Plato weren't made up?  The skepticism you show fits into your world view: you want to live the way you want to live, and if belief in a God would interfere with that, it fits you to be skeptical.

If Jesus was royalty, there would certainly be documentation about it.  I think your historical perspective is a little off.

I wasn't alive 1972 years ago, so how do I know it really did happen?
I wasn't alive when Plato wrote Apology.  How do I know it was really written by Plato?  That was even longer ago.

Are these words supposed to make me all of a sudden believe?
No, they're not supposed to make you believe.  They're supposed to prompt you to keep an open mind, though, which apparently you refuse to do. 

It doesn't matter if they existed or not, so I've never really thought about it; all that matters is the philisophical information in those books.
Sure it matters: where do you think science gets its practices from?  It's based on the Socratic method.  You know what the Hippocratic Oath is that doctors need to take?  It's based on Hippocrates' work and philosophy.  Greek philosophers were largely the basis for the lines of thinking used during the Enlightenment.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2005, 02:10:03 pm »

If this is the best God (or evolution) can do, then I'm VERY impressed.  The universe is such a beatifully complex thing, and so is life. 

Whether it's God or evolution that made this, I'm still impressed. 

Yes while I agree every moment of life is a miraculous and wonderfull thing, in all when I look at humanity at a whole I just can't say God has impressed me, not with all the wrong in this world. For example if you were in Africa and were just one of the millions of aids, poverty and hunger stricken children would you really believe in God, let alone be impressed by all the suffering?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2005, 03:57:13 pm »
The only reason I have a problem with believing, is why would God punish us and send us to hell for not believing something told to us without any (or little) fact backing it up? The only possible thing I can think of is that if he does exist, he'll somehow prove himself to me and other agnostics. Until then, I'm agnostic.

IIRC, they found relics from the last supper. I think iago said something about that. Also, theres a topic on the Shroud of Turin on the vL forums. Thats proof enough for me.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2005, 05:18:53 pm »
So have I; they're in my dishwasher.  How can they prove the "relics" are actually from the Last Supper?  Really, they can't.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2005, 05:56:14 pm »
Yes while I agree every moment of life is a miraculous and wonderfull thing, in all when I look at humanity at a whole I just can't say God has impressed me, not with all the wrong in this world. For example if you were in Africa and were just one of the millions of aids, poverty and hunger stricken children would you really believe in God, let alone be impressed by all the suffering?

Man is sinful, the bible does not say that he is not.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2005, 05:58:49 pm »
So have I; they're in my dishwasher. How can they prove the "relics" are actually from the Last Supper? Really, they can't.

Carbon dating, same with the Shroud of Turin. The relics are in the place described, and are carbon dated to the time described. Although its not totally proved, its not disproved either. Being in your dishwasher, thats disproving it.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2005, 07:19:03 pm »
The suffering is not the fault of God, but of man.

Carbon dating, same with the Shroud of Turin. The relics are in the place described, and are carbon dated to the time described. Although its not totally proved, its not disproved either. Being in your dishwasher, thats disproving it.
While I agree with your position, I don't agree with your method.  Carbon dating is notoriously inaccurate, and if I'm going to reject its use to date dinosaur fossils, then I need to reject its use for this too.