Author Topic: Microsoft vs. * Antispyware/Antivirus programs?  (Read 13707 times)

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft vs. * Antispyware/Antivirus programs?
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2005, 02:12:28 pm »
Microsoft has a monopoly over 95% of the computer users in the world. The could, and do, charge many hundred dollars for a single copy of Windows or Office, and people keep on buying.

However, the other 5%, that being the Linux community, gets out of that because we understand how to use the free software.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. =)
Linux gets servers with Apache :P
So people who use mac's are... 0% of the industry? :-\
Macs have an industry !?!?
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2005, 02:32:53 pm »
Microsoft has a monopoly over 95% of the computer users in the world. The could, and do, charge many hundred dollars for a single copy of Windows or Office, and people keep on buying.

However, the other 5%, that being the Linux community, gets out of that because we understand how to use the free software.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. =)
You're foolish for excluding those that use Mac OS.  It's actually a lot more prominent than the Linux community (user number wise).

If they did raise their prices some significant amount, there would be several who would flock to Mac or Linux, because they can.

Microsoft doesn't have a complete monopoly over the software computer industry.

Linux gets servers with Apache :P
So does windows.  Apache for windows sucks, but it's still there. :)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2005, 02:35:05 pm »
Microsoft doesn't have a complete monopoly over the software computer industry.
I'll agree with you there, they don't have a complete monopoly, but they still have a pretty damn big one.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2005, 02:40:46 pm »
Microsoft has a monopoly on the Windows kernal, which is the most commonly used kernal.

Ok, so group A has kernel A, group B has kernel B, and group C (Microsoft) produces kernel C (Windows) to rival kernel A and kernel B. Within a matter of years, kernel C is the most popular kernel.

No other company makes operating systems which uses a Windows kernal except Microsoft, and they can charge whatever the hell they want because of this.

Yes, this makes sense. You create kernel C, it's your kernel C, nobody else makes kernel C, you can charge whatever you wish for it. Just because it is popular does not mean you own a monopoly. It just means you're very close to it, seeing as how now kernel A and B are rarely found in a household.

Kernel A and kernel B still exist, and are alternatives to kernel C. Products are still made for kernels A and B...

Microsoft does have a monopoly, and if they made it so their anti-virus is the only one that works on their operating system, they'd be illegally using that monopoly.

If OS X and *nix never existed, yes, Microsoft would have a monopoly. However, they do exist, as do other alternatives; thus, they don't have a monopoly.

(My use of the word 'don't have a monopoly' means do not have a full monopoly. They are close to monopolistic status, but they aren't there.)

If group C wants to produce problem-fixer C (the anti-virus) for their kernel, and not allow any other problem-fixers to work on kernel C, the 3rd party problem fixers can still produce for kernels A and B.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2005, 02:43:28 pm »
You nub, you missed the entire 4th page. :( <3
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2005, 04:03:10 pm »
Mac is BSD based, so they are 5% of the industry.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2005, 03:21:03 am »
Mac is BSD based, so they are 5% of the industry.

Bsd isn't Linux:

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2005, 07:59:40 am »
I meant *nix.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2005, 03:17:00 pm »
Bill Gates has appeared before congress before for attempting to monopolize the industry. Not that they hold the monopoly, the sheer attempt to is illegal.

Windows would not force a single product upon others (not directly atleast). Remember back when Internet Explorer was bundled with Microsoft Help and Microsoft Explorer? That's what makes other versions of windows suck. In XP you can remove IE (not completely but still remove most of it's components) and I bet that they will be sneaky and integrate the Anti virus into the kernel itself which would indirectly force it upon people. I mean it's impossible to remove but like they did with Explorer, it doesn't stop you from installing other AVs it just makes it a bitch.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling