Author Topic: hrm....!?  (Read 23550 times)

Offline Networks

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
Re: hrm....!?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 05:46:43 pm »
Let's try to keep this post between Networks and x86.

Now, is Joe the only reason you left because you stated more. We are under new leadership but I'd like other members to know why you want to rejoin which might affect thier decision.

Good luck,
Nelson

Honestly, if there's anything to do I'd like to rejoin otherwise bleh it's a waste of both our times. Basically if there's more to do than just loading a tag...

http://www.zeroforce.net

[16:50:11] Networks:0:32: What will soup bot be like?
[16:50:15] Warrior[x86]:16:-1: soup-like.
[16:50:21] warzofbeta@Lordaeron:0:62: Like god.
[16:50:26] Warrior[x86]:16:-1: Fake?

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 05:56:49 pm »
Theres only as much as you or anyone else wants to do.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 07:40:11 pm »
2nd: Our average B.net channel activity consists of this;
[6:24:33 AM] -- x86 has left the channel.
 [6:24:55 AM] -- iago[x86] has left the channel.
 [7:12:22 AM] -- iago[x86] [265ms] has joined the channel using Starcraft Brood War (0 wins).
 [7:15:11 AM] -- x86 [94ms] has joined the channel using Warcraft II (0 wins).
 [7:15:11 AM] -- x86 has acquired ops.
And most channels are busy at 7AM?  As other said, I'd appreciate it if you'd stay out of topics like this. 

Theres only as much as you or anyone else wants to do.
You're absolutely correct.  If any member wants to start a project, host an event, get a game going, team up on a problem, create a website, etc., they are free to do so, and are free to let other members join you. 

If you need help with something, require a favor, need a server to test something on, need a friend whose shoulder to cry on (*shrug*), need some inspiration, etc., the other members of the clan will often be willing to help.  I can't speak for others, but I can usually provde anything listed there, within reason. 

But you know what everything I've listed here have in common?  They're things that friends do for each other.  That's what this clan is based on: friendship.  Every once in awhile, we have to step back and remind ourselves of that, but in the end, that's what it really is.

However, like any friends, or club, we have disagreements, and the only way to solve those is to discuss it.  It's especially difficult if members have opposing views, which is usually the case (by definition of a disagreement, in fact...), but so far we've always managed.  All I really ask is that you respect each other's opinions and beliefs, and have fun doing it.  There's nothing wrong with poking fun; in fact, in the words of a good friend of mine, "It's the responsibility of any good friend to make fun of you if you do something stupid; how else are you going to know?"  At the time, we were talking about how a common friend of ours dresses (faded pants, whatever they're called, look sooo gay), but it's still a good quote. 

If, however, the rest of the clan is having a discussion (read: argument) about something, and you decide to leave (especially if it's the result of other member complaining about a friend of yours; a friend that totally let you take the fall for somebody else as a result of what you said, when it came down to it, but don't get me started on that), that's your decision.  If you don't like what you see, then you can leave.  However, when you're done being mad (or annoyed, or whatever), don't come back to me and ask me if you can join again.  Although it's not a rule, it's a custom in my book that, if somebody is willing to give up what we have once, they're far too likely to do it again, and thus, I'm not prepared to honor their request to rejoin.  It's not because I don't like them, it's because they were given a chance, and turned their back, and now it's just too bad. 

Hope this whole long post makes sense.  A lot of this stuff came from the very foundation of how I wanted x86 to be, and how it has developed.  I'm glad it ended up posted in a publicly-viewable forum, because it's valuable for anybody in or out of the clan to see. 

Offline Networks

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 09:00:41 pm »
I didn't leave over the whole fiasco, I am much more loyal than that (usually...). heh but if I don't get your approval doesn't seem like I have much of a chance then anyway.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2005, 12:40:12 pm »
Of course you still have a chance. 

But that brings up the question: why did you leave?  And what has changed?

Offline Networks

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2005, 02:04:55 pm »
Of course you still have a chance. 

But that brings up the question: why did you leave?  And what has changed?

I believe that post is in the members forum. What has changed? Evidentally nothing (according to you guys =\) except Joe is gone.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2005, 01:29:18 am »
I'm not entirely sure why you DID leave, even after reading posts regarding it.  The only thing I'm aware of is problems we had regarding Teh User (which has since been resolved, and hasn't been brought up again).  If you don't like the fact that the clan has arguments on important issues, then find yourself a clan that has a strict structure.  The way x86 is designed, the leaders don't have a lot of power, and all members are equal to each other, and nearly equal to the leaders.  There is only one way to resolve problems, and it's exactly how we do it.  And so far, it's worked. 

Offline Networks

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2005, 10:00:01 am »
I think it had much to do with: Way to many arguments, Nothing to really participate in (I found myself just loading a tag and that's it) which contributed to no benefits, and lots of stupidity in the channel primarily influenced by Trust (oh well), plus you were kind of dead, and then the whole TehUser thing. All of these were entirely different things from the x86 I joined before when there were 8-10 members.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2005, 04:20:32 pm »
Way to many arguments

If you don't like the fact that the clan has arguments on important issues, then find yourself a clan that has a strict structure.

Nothing to really participate in (I found myself just loading a tag and that's it) which contributed to no benefits

Well, there are the forums, and you're always welcome to try and get members to do something.

The idea is that we're more of a clan based on friendship. Sure, finding common interests can be difficult, but if you are bored, find something to do. See if you can get some clan members together to game. It isn't hard.

Benefits? Well, you get to throw your opinion in to how the clan is run or what you feel needs change, which is a benefit in itself.

lots of stupidity in the channel primarily influenced by Trust (oh well)

All you had to do was post and say, "I don't like Trust being in the channel. Can we leave him on autoban?"

Simple as that. No more trust-being-immature problem for you to put up with.

It is also called squelch, if a few members want him in the channel for whatever reason they have. Hell, if your bot has decent filters, filter his name.

plus you were kind of dead

So, you joined x86 because of iago and iago alone? Or are you saying you felt he was the only one who could deal with the problems stated above?

I'm not sure I want you in the clan at that point if you feel either one. If it's the former, there are 20 or so other members who would love to talk with you; if it's the latter, well...

The way x86 is designed, the leaders don't have a lot of power, and all members are equal to each other, and nearly equal to the leaders. There is only one way to resolve problems, and it's exactly how we do it. And so far, it's worked.

You (or any other member, for that matter) could have addressed problems, and attempted to solve them, instead of leaving.

and then the whole TehUser thing.

* Newby shakes his head.

You and zorm... *mumbles*

Well, that problem solved itself.

I still think it is immature that you felt the need to tell TehUser what we were saying about him. I see the reasoning behind it, but there are other morals you are breaking by telling him than there are by staying silent. (Trust versus friendship... hmm... you picked friendship!)

Although I am thankful you didn't tell TehUser specifics, although you lead to specifics being told.

All of these were entirely different things from the x86 I joined before when there were 8-10 members.

Well, that's what happens when time passes by. Shit changes.

Although I really can't say there's been much more to do as a clan than there was when the clan was started...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 04:22:39 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Networks

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2005, 05:33:19 pm »
Although I really can't say there's been much more to do as a clan than there was when the clan was started...

That's kind of a sad part about x86.

I didn't join x86 for iago but him and WiReS were great reasons. I didn't really know the rest except by mere aquaintence. Hell I still don't know you Newby. If I were to have joined because of iago I would've done so in the beginning.

The Trust thing, I didn't want to ban a person everyone seemed to like a little bit. I figured it would cause more problems.

Also, I did throw my opinion in quite a bit nothing seemed to change. However it seems more calm now. Really now I am just trying to get a feel how everyone does feel about me. (doesn't seem like it's in my favor though)

Also I am happy with me leaving because I wouldn't have ever known iago knew the extended lie of what happened in the private forums and he probably would've still been really indifferent towards me.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 05:36:18 pm by Networks »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2005, 05:38:45 pm »
Well put.

plus you were kind of dead
So, you joined x86 because of iago and iago alone? Or are you saying you felt he was the only one who could deal with the problems stated above?

I'm not sure I want you in the clan at that point if you feel either one. If it's the former, there are 20 or so other members who would love to talk with you; if it's the latter, well...
I've never really been more or less active. I'm not active on Battle.net, certainly.  But I am quite active on the forum and by email.  And at the time you left, I was spending a lot of time on instant messengers, but lately i haven't logged on because I've been extremely busy. 

and then the whole TehUser thing.

* Newby shakes his head.

You and zorm... *mumbles*

Well, that problem solved itself.

I still think it is immature that you felt the need to tell TehUser what we were saying about him. I see the reasoning behind it, but there are other morals you are breaking by telling him than there are by staying silent. (Trust versus friendship... hmm... you picked friendship!)

Although I am thankful you didn't tell TehUser specifics, although you lead to specifics being told.
I don't think there was any problem with how Networks behaved in that situation.  However, I find it ironic how he defended Teh User, then, when Networks got blamed for leaking all the information (and Teh User and Zorm knew it), they totally let Networks take the fall.  How ironic! :-)

And by the way, feel free to share anything I've said here with Teh User.  I don't want him to think I'm talking behind his back. 

And Networks posted while I was typing, so....
The Trust thing, I didn't want to ban a person everyone seemed to like a little bit. I figured it would cause more problems.
However it seems more calm now.
Don't forget, you can't see the member's forum.  You never really know what's happening!

Really now I am just trying to get a feel how everyone does feel about me. (doesn't seem like it's in my favor though)
I don't have any paricularly strong feelings about you.  I don't want to give approval more on general principle (and deterrance) than because I have feelings about you :-P

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2005, 05:47:31 pm »
Also, I did throw my opinion in quite a bit nothing seemed to change. However it seems more calm now. Really now I am just trying to get a feel how everyone does feel about me. (doesn't seem like it's in my favor though)

Well, personally, I think it was sad that you left the clan over whatever issues you did, and didn't even bother to hang around the community afterwards.

x86 was never meant to be a clan where all the members shared one common interest. It wouldn't have the great member base it does today if that was the truth.

The clan CAN have one common interest, but we don't force it upon members.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2005, 06:01:29 pm »
You'd like to rejoin because we are "calmer" now? What if we arn't "calm" in the future? Will you leave again?
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Networks

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2005, 06:33:38 pm »

Well, personally, I think it was sad that you left the clan over whatever issues you did, and didn't even bother to hang around the community afterwards.

x86 was never meant to be a clan where all the members shared one common interest. It wouldn't have the great member base it does today if that was the truth.

The clan CAN have one common interest, but we don't force it upon members.

Newby I didn't remain in the community because I was EXTREMELY BUSY, nothing was priority except studying for the ACT, picking colleges, and school. It will still remain that way forever. It is afterall my senior year, you'll understand when you get there unless you decide to go in-state (it's less complicated then).

Also Newby, you're completely right about this:
And it's also the reason I want to join because I've phased bnet out of my system about 70%, and now I feel like I may be able to spark some interest in the clan through my new interests and hobbies I feel like starting, now that I have more time. (this one is for Warrior)

iago, I think it really came down to whether he could say nothing about me except what was know or he'd rat out Zorm. I don't know if he pricisely said I showed him the forums or not but it seems like he just kept silent.

Edit: I know I hated when I never really knew who was joining so feel free to IM on AIM (N3TWORK5) if you don't know me, most of you new people probably joined right before I left.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 06:36:06 pm by Networks »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2005, 06:36:44 pm »
iago, I think it really came down to whether he could say nothing about me except what was know or he'd rat out Zorm. I don't know if he pricisely said I showed him the forums or not but it seems like he just kept silent.
He didn't deny it.  All he told me was that you told him what people said.  When everybody assumed (and he knew it) that you told him everything, he said nothing.  He could have denied it without implicating Zorm.