Author Topic: Is the death penalty as a punishment moral?  (Read 11231 times)

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
Is the death penalty as a punishment moral?
« on: October 27, 2005, 09:46:06 pm »
Also related: what would be your last meal?!
iago suggested to make this thread, basically asking your opinion on if execution for punishment is moral/should be allowed. Most countrys do not have the death pentalty, infact I think USA is the only common wealth nation to have it instated.
Myself? I believe the punishment should fit the crime, an eye for an eye of sorts.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 09:50:10 pm by GameSnake »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Is the death penalty as a punishment moral?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 09:54:13 pm »
As I was going to say, it depends on the reason. 

The main argument I have against it is that people become accustomed to death solving their problems.  They (the families of victims, say) want revenge, and they feel like they get it when somebody is put to death.  When people get used to having problems solved by killing somebody, it doesn't seem so severe anymore.  The average person doesn't see to consider the death penalty a big deal.  When people get used to killing as a way to solve problems, it seems to me that they will be more likely to commit a murder. 

The main argument FOR the death penalty, I believe, is that it's a deterrant; however, I believe that statistics have shown that it makes no difference. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 09:55:56 pm »
They should be given life in prison, under most cases. However, if they're known to escape prison, and are master tactitions and stuff, making it to risky for them to live, they should be put to death.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 10:32:25 pm »
I am personally against it, but as a factual stance (my sister did a paper for this, I'll try and find it).  The United States is one of three major (I don't remember how "major" is defined, probably as a member of the UN) countries which uses the death penalty.  It has been statistically proven that all three nations which use capitol punishment have higher crime rates than any other countries.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 10:36:20 pm »
I don't have a problem with the death penalty except for the fact its possible to wrongly accused of a crime.  Sentencing people to death for a crime they didn't commit is just terrible.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 10:29:30 pm »
Only if the crime is mass murder. Somebody mentioned in this thread that "eye for eye" is reasonable. If that was the case, the entire world would be blind. Everybody does something wrong at one point. Vengence isn't the answer, yet justice is (justice is considered a punishment that would prevent the person from breaking the law again). We're only human.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 01:56:25 am »
Eye for an eye as in you get what you deserve of equality, ie you kill you deserve to be killed, in lamen tearms.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 11:51:17 am »
This is interesting, I watched a "horror" movie last night that somewhat has to do with this, it was called Se7en.

You should get the movie, old or not, extremely good.

I beleive death is too much, I prefer torture, death simply puts them out of their misery. Never death.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 12:05:43 pm »
Yeah, but it also removes them from our world.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 12:37:20 pm »
This is interesting, I watched a "horror" movie last night that somewhat has to do with this, it was called Se7en.

You should get the movie, old or not, extremely good.

I beleive death is too much, I prefer torture, death simply puts them out of their misery. Never death.
Yeah, I've seen that movie many times.  They keep playing it on movie channels. 

Any way, what's the reason for the torture?  Revenge?  To make everybody else feel better?  That shouldn't be why people are put to death, because you don't want the common person being comfortable with using death (or torture) to solve their problems.  To be continues below...

Yeah, but it also removes them from our world.
If that's the only reason, then it's fine.  The person should be put to death behind closed doors.  They disappear, the world moves on.  When you start publisizing it, and when people want to WITNESS the death (I seem to remember them letting families watch somebody put to death?), that's when I think it makes the world a worse place. 

That kinda reminds me of 1984, actually.  The ideal solution is to make them realize that they did something wrong, and apologize for it, then be put to death.  Then nobody is going to end up viewing them as a hero/martyr :)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 12:57:36 pm »
Eye for an eye as in you get what you deserve of equality, ie you kill you deserve to be killed, in lamen tearms.
I know what eye for an eye means, I don't think you understood/read my post.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 02:26:56 pm »
I know what eye for an eye means, I don't think you understood/read my post.
Somebody mentioned in this thread that "eye for eye"
I did read your post it and yes maybe I don't understand your post but it is my opinion if you kill somebody then you probably deserve to die, this is "eye for an eye" as far as I understood, and I was just pointing out my opinion on the matter anyway there isn't something to argue.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 02:39:47 pm »
Hehe, that is pretty 1984-ish.  That was a great book.

Yes, I agree.  I don't know though... I can see exceptions to not publicizing a death.  The one I have in mind is Saddam Husein.  They were thinking of putting him to death by a public hanging.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 09:19:47 pm »
Hehe, that is pretty 1984-ish.  That was a great book.

Yes, I agree.  I don't know though... I can see exceptions to not publicizing a death.  The one I have in mind is Saddam Husein.  They were thinking of putting him to death by a public hanging.
I would support that.  :)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 09:22:43 pm »
It has been statistically proven that all three nations which use capitol punishment have higher crime rates than any other countries.

This doesn't mean that capitol punishment cause higher crime rates. It's that the high crime rates cause the countries to use capitol punishment as an answer for murders.

I'm personally undecided. iago says that it was statistically proven to be much of a deterrant, but I would think that it would be one. If those statistics are accurate, then I would say that it would be more advantageous to put these men on therapy in secure jails, in order to find out more about why he killed this person, what things in his life caused him to be a killer... basically do studies on the murderers to find out why they came to be murderers. It would be interesting to see those statistics though.