Author Topic: Is the death penalty as a punishment moral?  (Read 10921 times)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: Is the death penalty as a punishment moral?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2005, 09:34:35 pm »
I don't know why I said everybody, I meant a lot of people can as well.

Fire is unpredictable and dangerous, but there's probably such a low chance that something so contained can actually cause a problem like that.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline -------

• Mary Naivete
  • Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2005, 10:26:18 pm »
---
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 02:29:16 pm by idiat »

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2005, 11:03:55 pm »
I can learn in a way other than my life being ruined. I already learned, and I know it was stupid, but if you actually think instead of being a jackass, it was way blown out of proportion. Nobody was around to get hurt, and the car was already totally beaten to shit because they had this thing set up for a donation that you pay $3 and you get to take a swing at the car with a sledge hammer. Now, what exactly was wrong? The fire company would've had to put it out, which is where I went wrong, and it was also against the law. I'm not trying to justify myself, I'm just saying the punishment isn't worth it. Is that really right for them to ruin my life? I have more than 2 brain cells, it was just a stupid mistake made at that moment. Don't act like you're perfect.

Thats exactly the point. If you got slapped across the face for setting the empty destroyed car in the middle of a parking lot on fire whats going to stop you and other people from doing it to other cars/buildings/people?

After all a slap on the face isn't all that painful and will take up 5 seconds of your life. You more or less proved my point because of the fact that you are now scared straight and won't risk doing it again for fear of messing up your life.

The point of most laws is the make an example of the people who fuck up so that others will stop and think twice before doing something stupid. If they don't think twice then oh well, they just helped society out by removing themselves from it.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2005, 12:04:07 am »
I can learn in a way other than my life being ruined. I already learned, and I know it was stupid, but if you actually think instead of being a jackass, it was way blown out of proportion. Nobody was around to get hurt, and the car was already totally beaten to shit because they had this thing set up for a donation that you pay $3 and you get to take a swing at the car with a sledge hammer. Now, what exactly was wrong? The fire company would've had to put it out, which is where I went wrong, and it was also against the law. I'm not trying to justify myself, I'm just saying the punishment isn't worth it. Is that really right for them to ruin my life? I have more than 2 brain cells, it was just a stupid mistake made at that moment. Don't act like you're perfect.
Thats exactly the point. If you got slapped across the face for setting the empty destroyed car in the middle of a parking lot on fire whats going to stop you and other people from doing it to other cars/buildings/people?

After all a slap on the face isn't all that painful and will take up 5 seconds of your life.
That's taking it to the other extreme...
It is absolutely right for them to ruin your life for doing something like that. Its called deterrence so that other people who have more than 2 brain cells think twice before doing stupid shit.
You more or less proved my point because of the fact that you are now scared straight and won't risk doing it again for fear of messing up your life.
Is it just me, or did your point totally change? If your point is now the latter, I agree.
The point of most laws is the make an example of the people who fuck up so that others will stop and think twice before doing something stupid. If they don't think twice then oh well, they just helped society out by removing themselves from it.
What, do you make up laws yourself? Do you actually talk to law-makers and ask them what their motives are? I think not, I think you're just talking out of your ass.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 12:06:57 am by MetaL MilitiA »

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2005, 12:05:39 am »
What, do you make up laws yourself? Do you actually talk to law-makers and ask them what their motives are? I think not, I think you're just talking out of your ass.

Can you give me a definition of what laws are for, then?

I agree with iago 100%. Laws are there to scare people.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2005, 12:09:07 am »
You misread Newby. I also think laws are here to scare people, but from what Zorm said, laws are made only to totally fuck up somebodies life no matter how little the broken law was, and just to make an example of that person. At least that's what I got out of it.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2005, 12:10:31 am »
You misread Newby. I also think laws are here to scare people, but from what Zorm said, laws are made only to totally fuck up somebodies life no matter how little the broken law was, and just to make an example of that person. At least that's what I got out of it.

I think you mis-read.

zorm said the point of laws is to make an example of the people who break the laws so that others will stop and think twice before doing something stupid.

When he said fuck up, he meant get caught breaking the law.

Hence, a scare tactic.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2005, 12:12:27 am »
I don't think I misread, we just both interpreted it differently. We'll just wait to see what Zorm comes out and says what he meant, because argueing about it is pointless.