Author Topic: tourettes guy  (Read 8559 times)

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
Re: tourettes guy
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 06:44:56 pm »
Do you honestly think it's doing justice to the disease? Yeah, sure.

There are no vast misconceptions about homosexuals and African Americans on these forums, large amounts of inaccurate data which the poster and repliers do not know as incorrect. This, however, is not even close to real life.
Quik, you seriously are making me laugh.  I'm going to have to go over this with you again, I guess.  It's not trying to make fun of the disease.  It's there for a laugh, just as everything in this forum is.  It's not trying to do the disease justice.  Half of the things in comedy are offensive to at least a few people.  GET OVER IT.

http://www.x86labs.org/forum/index.php/topic,3465.0.html
http://www.x86labs.org/forum/index.php/topic,2779.0.html
http://www.x86labs.org/forum/index.php/topic,2505.0.html
http://www.x86labs.org/forum/index.php/topic,2077.0.html
http://www.x86labs.org/forum/index.php/topic,1878.0.html
http://www.x86labs.org/forum/index.php/topic,1886.0.html
http://www.x86labs.org/forum/index.php/topic,740.0.html

All of these articles (and I'm positive there are more, but I'm only going to spend so much time sifting through the forum for you) will directly offend some group of people by "misinterpreting" what they are really all about.  They may only be using their subject for a laugh (instead of actually trying to make fun of them), but let me iterrate:  SO ARE THESE VIDEOS.

You're completely missing the point. It doesn't matter if it's intentionally trying to make fun of the disease or not, but if it is meant to, it's doing a damn good job at propagating inaccuracies.

If you concider me trying to inform you about something quite serious 'ruining your fun', then I guess I am. Oh well.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 07:21:46 pm »
I wish you lived near me so I could slap you.  I'm likely going to stop reiterating because it's apparently useless.  I'm not missing the point, you're missing the point.

By the way, you should look at the home page:

This site contains videos of a guy we call the "Tourettes Guy". While he obviously has something wrong with him (and likes to drink), many people have suggested that his behavior is not consistent with Tourettes Syndrome.

To learn more about Tourettes Syndrome please click here or ask about it in the forums. A few fans of Danny actually have Tourettes, and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

It's not intentionally misinforming anyone about Tourettes Syndrome, mostly because they recognize the fact that the guy doesn't have Tourrettes.  Sure, it's called "Tourettes Guy," but they do point out in a rather public place (the home page) that he doesn't actually suffer from the disease.  There are plenty of misconceptions thrown at people.  Smart people learn they're false, others don't.  The news is full of crap that is inconsistent with the way things really are in our world.  It's just how things are.

Oh, by the way.  I feel I should probably respond to this:

If you ever get a life-threatening illness, I'm going to come to your hospital and tell you, straight to your face, that nobody cares.
Since you're so assured that Tourettes is a life-threatening illness, I'm going to suggest that you do some research on it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 07:28:48 pm by Sidoh »

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2005, 07:30:52 pm »
I wish you lived near me so I could slap you.  I'm not going to reiterrate anymroe because it's apparently useless.  I'm not missing the point, you're missing the point.

By the way, you should look at the home page:

This site contains videos of a guy we call the "Tourettes Guy". While he obviously has something wrong with him (and likes to drink), many people have suggested that his behavior is not consistent with Tourettes Syndrome.

To learn more about Tourettes Syndrome please click here or ask about it in the forums. A few fans of Danny actually have Tourettes, and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

It's not intentionally misinforming anyone about Tourettes Syndrome, mostly because they recognize the fact that the guy doesn't have Tourrettes.  Sure, it's called "Tourettes Guy," but they do point out in a rather public place (the home page) that he doesn't actually suffer from the disease.  There are plenty of misconceptions thrown at people.  Smart people learn they're false, others don't.  The news is full of crap that is inconsistant with the way things really are in our world.  It's just how things are.

Oh, by the way. I feel I should probably respond to this:

If you ever get a life-threatening illness, I'm going to come to your hospital and tell you, straight to your face, that nobody cares.
Since you're so assured that Tourettes is a life-threatening illness, I'm going to suggest that you do some research on it.

It's life-threatening in many of the same ways terminal illnesses are, in which the sufferer is unable to lead a 'normal' life. It seems like you think that I'm somehow misinformed? Why do you think I've been arguing this, the whole time? I think it's been quite blatent that I'm affected by the disease because of close family/friends, maybe you missed that. I should get informed? Really?
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2005, 08:15:21 pm »
It's life-threatening in many of the same ways terminal illnesses are, in which the sufferer is unable to lead a 'normal' life. It seems like you think that I'm somehow misinformed? Why do you think I've been arguing this, the whole time? I think it's been quite blatent that I'm affected by the disease because of close family/friends, maybe you missed that. I should get informed? Really?

I think you need to redefine life threatening then, Quik.  Life threatening implies that some force threatens to END someones life, not hinder how it compares to the majority of other people's lives.

Secondly, one of the "common" symptoms of Tourettes, OCD, isn't inherently negative.  People with OCD (especially with mild cases) perform better than "normal" people in nit-picky jobs, such as art.  While one person may call it "good enough," while someone with OCD will strive for perfection.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2005, 08:47:17 pm »
You have your own meaning for it; mine may not be mainstream, but it fits perfectly fine for my experiances.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2005, 08:57:09 pm »
You have your own meaning for it; mine may not be mainstream, but it fits perfectly fine for my experiances.
If everyone defined words through their experiences instead of using a centerally defined meaning, language would be a completely useless tool.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 08:59:36 pm by Sidoh »

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2005, 09:50:28 pm »
If everyone defined words through their experiences instead of using a centerally defined meaning, language would be a completely useless tool.

So, that's not how we communicate on a day-to-day basis? Prove it.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2005, 10:00:28 pm »
Haha, another good laugh from Quik.  I gaurentee if we didn't have a centeralized basis of word definitions, we'd all be speaking giberish in relation to each other.

http://www.m-w.com

What do you do when you don't understand a word?  Look it up in the dictionary?  Ask a friend?  Ask a teacher?  Chances are you are at least indirectly querying a centralized source of language.

If you don't think that there are solid, predefined definitions for words, I think you're funny.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2005, 10:59:22 pm »
Haha, another good laugh from Quik.  I gaurentee if we didn't have a centeralized basis of word definitions, we'd all be speaking giberish in relation to each other.

What do you do when you don't understand a word?  Look it up in the dictionary?  Ask a friend?  Ask a teacher?  Chances are you are at least indirectly querying a centralized source of language.

If you don't think that there are solid, predefined definitions for words, I think you're funny.

Try looking up "diss" or "leet" in m-w.com

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2005, 11:05:35 pm »

"diss" in English is "disrespect"
"leet" in English is "elite"
Look them up in m-w.com Thanks.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2005, 11:08:37 pm »

(Slang)
2 : an informal nonstandard vocabulary composed typically of coinages, arbitrarily changed words, and extravagant, forced, or facetious figures of speech

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2005, 12:59:04 am »

(Slang)
2 : an informal nonstandard vocabulary composed typically of coinages, arbitrarily changed words, and extravagant, forced, or facetious figures of speech

Now, before you go thinking that's a catch-all excuse, think about the entire conversation I've been dragged through. Can't all of those 'debatable' words be classified as slang? Webster's not going to prove any point for you.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2005, 01:23:20 am »
Stop trying to find some stupid round-about way to win the argument, Quik.  You're digging through countless layers of reality to find something wrong with my arguments.

You don't make sense.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2005, 11:24:13 am »

I think you need to redefine life threatening then, Quik.  Life threatening implies that some force threatens to END someones life, not hinder how it compares to the majority of other people's lives.

Secondly, one of the "common" symptoms of Tourettes, OCD, isn't inherently negative.  People with OCD (especially with mild cases) perform better than "normal" people in nit-picky jobs, such as art.  While one person may call it "good enough," while someone with OCD will strive for perfection.
Why thank you. o_O

But with OCD brings Depression, with Depression comes sadness and easy aggravation..Which is where the therapy is needed when OCD is noticed because if not treated when it becomes stronger, you can become suicidal from the stress it puts on you.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2005, 04:45:46 pm »
Why thank you. o_O

But with OCD brings Depression, with Depression comes sadness and easy aggravation..Which is where the therapy is needed when OCD is noticed because if not treated when it becomes stronger, you can become suicidal from the stress it puts on you.
Hehe, yeah.  That's why I mentioned "especially in mild cases."