Author Topic: ITs OTW!!!!!  (Read 6627 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: ITs OTW!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 01:40:31 am »
The only real incompatibility is games; and they're getting better.  A lot of games lately are supporting Mac and/or Linux.  The only thing I really missed about Windows was having a Battle.net bot, and I fixed that. :)

I mean generally.  There are a lot of applications that lack macintosh equivilants/clients.  TS and Ventrilo were on the list for a while, but some asshole created an emulated version for TS and Ventrilo finally released their "long awated" Mac client.  Horray for their two customers that use Macs! :)

If you are trying to prove a point, you're sucking at it.  Try finding something that doesn't have an equivilant. :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2005, 01:53:46 am »
If you are trying to prove a point, you're sucking at it.  Try finding something that doesn't have an equivilant. :P

Given my circumstances, I would never, ever, EVER switch to Macintosh.  While there may be a Macintosh equivalent to most windows programs, they are generally inferior in performance (and usually stability too).  It's near impossible to upgrade a mac compared to a PC.  I don't think I would be able to stand running an apple computer.  I'd probably drive myself insane; especially since I already know how to use the PC and Windows pretty damned well.  Re-learning anything like that would be a colossal pain in the ass.

Well, I like to compare the price of Mac's office and Mac's development kit ($0) to Windows' (>$1000 each).. that's a good way to make a decision right there.  Any company that expects me to pay over $2000 to be productive, PLUS the computer and OS, sucks. 
At this moment in time, I'm a web developer.  The development software I use is the same price accross the board, so there's no real use comparing that.  If I ever chose to make another significant project, I'd do it in C++ on Linux.

You've got to realize I'm not arguing that "Macs suck."  I'm arguing that I would outright hate to use a Mac as a primary workstation.  Here's a reitteration of my initial argument to provide some proof:

That's total bull.  Don't get me started on Windows vs. Mac.  Mac is a vastly superior OS to Windows, although that isn't very hard. 

Linux > Mac > Windows, for me.  Though I'd switch the first two for a lot of people.

I couldn't survive on Mac, plain and simple. It may be more secure and slightly more stable, but the incompatibility would impale me in the face with a sharpened tether ball pole.

If you can find me a Mac computer that runs the same price as my PC (~$3000, including two 19" LCD monitors - Samsung/Viewsonic) that will run WoW and all the other things I primarily use my comptuer for as well as my PC, I'll stop complaining.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 10:30:21 am »
While there may be a Macintosh equivalent to most windows programs, they are generally inferior in performance (and usually stability too).
Says who?  From everything I've seen, Mac programs are superior in performance and stability; in fact, stability is one of the key selling points of Mac :-)

And yeah, what you say is fine.  I said somewhere that the main problem is lack of games.  Macs aren't a gaming-heavy platform.  I couldn't personally use a Mac either, they're too fruity for me, I'm personally happy with Linux.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 12:52:47 pm »
Says who?  From everything I've seen, Mac programs are superior in performance and stability; in fact, stability is one of the key selling points of Mac :-)

And yeah, what you say is fine.  I said somewhere that the main problem is lack of games.  Macs aren't a gaming-heavy platform.  I couldn't personally use a Mac either, they're too fruity for me, I'm personally happy with Linux.

Says me.  You should see how often people who use Macs disconnet on WoW -_-

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2005, 01:02:11 pm »
The only real incompatibility is games; and they're getting better.  A lot of games lately are supporting Mac and/or Linux.  The only thing I really missed about Windows was having a Battle.net bot, and I fixed that. :)

I mean generally.  There are a lot of applications that lack macintosh equivilants/clients.  TS and Ventrilo were on the list for a while, but some asshole created an emulated version for TS and Ventrilo finally released their "long awated" Mac client.  Horray for their two customers that use Macs! :)
Yup, and they are limited to paying warcraft3/starcraft. :P
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2005, 01:25:45 pm »
Yup, and they are limited to paying warcraft3/starcraft. :P

Yuck...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2005, 08:26:31 pm »

Says me.  You should see how often people who use Macs disconnet on WoW -_-

Are they actually running WoW on Mac, or is it emulated? 

In either case, I wouldn't really call it a "Mac program" for the same reason I wouldn't call Quake a "Linux program", even though it does natively run on Linux.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2005, 09:44:16 pm »
There is a mac version of WoW by Blizzard.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2005, 12:58:28 am »
Yes, the boxed version of WoW is compatible with Mac.  It works fine, but it's pretty unstable and the graphics are far inferior to that of my PC.

I don't think I could survive on Mac.  I don't think I could survive on Linux as my primary workstation either, but that's only because I'm used to the utilities and methodology of Windows.  I could probably get used to Linux after a while, but there would still be things I'd miss on Windows, WoW included, of course.  :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2005, 08:28:36 am »
I don't play WoW, so I'm not going to worry about that. 

In terms of everything else, I have the opposite problem.  At first I was so used to Windows that using Linux was painful.  But now that I've been using Linux solid for almost a year (or maybe almost 2 years.. I forget), I feel the opposite way.  Windows is the painful one to use.  My eyes are open! Hallijulah or whatever!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2005, 04:52:27 pm »

In terms of everything else, I have the opposite problem.  At first I was so used to Windows that using Linux was painful.  But now that I've been using Linux solid for almost a year (or maybe almost 2 years.. I forget), I feel the opposite way.  Windows is the painful one to use.  My eyes are open! Hallijulah or whatever!

Hehe, probably a good thing.  :)

I'm talking about why I think Apple sucks (for a primary workstation).

That's good.  iago's seen the light!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2005, 05:35:34 pm »

Hehe, probably a good thing.  :)

I'm talking about why I think Apple sucks (for a primary workstation).

That's good.  iago's seen the light!
Perhaps it sucks for your primary workstation! :P

I'm hoping that more games see the light.  New dooms, new quakes, neverwinter nights, and many others, are paving the path.  At least towards Linux, I don't care about Mac :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2005, 12:45:04 am »
Perhaps it sucks for your primary workstation! :P

I'm hoping that more games see the light.  New dooms, new quakes, neverwinter nights, and many others, are paving the path.  At least towards Linux, I don't care about Mac :)

Hehe, yeah!  That's what I've been talking about the whole time too.  :P