Author Topic: Voting machines  (Read 7968 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Voting machines
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 10:43:10 pm »
Well, for my 18th birthday, I'll have my parents take me to Wal-Mart and buy a 20-man tent plus a blow-up matress (I'm a big man, not that big, but I like my space =p). I'll grab some blankets from home and hop on a plane to the Winnipeg International Airport, with my tent and bag. We jet over to your house, I go out back, and pitch my tent, and live there for a few weeks (days, if we're (yes, you too =p) lucky), until I find a house, where I can Canadianly live. =)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 10:50:21 pm »
Mkay.. what time of year is your birthday?  Because right now, you might not want a tent:

for i in 1 2 3 4 5 5 6 7; wget http://www.javaop.com/~iago/snow$i.jpg; done

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 11:09:36 pm »
Joe, its expensive to live in the Winnipeg area, more then you could afford I do believe.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2005, 12:05:19 am »
And you're right about the paper trail.  The ideal one is where you physically write down, or punch out, who you want to vote for.  Then, even though a machine is reading it in, you can still go back and count the holes.  Some talk was about a machine that would visually punch out the card and add it to a stack, and you could watch it do the punching.  That would be a more ideal solution. 

Of course that doesn't fix anything because the ballot would have to include the names for the holes so you know its punched out the right one. Then they will have to make a bigger ballot so that it could include names in 172pt font so that even the retards in Florida can read them. But even this won't stop corruptness if it should want to occur and it also doesn't stop the voters from going "OH! I think I really voted for the other guy but I'm not really sure!" after the fact.

My belief is that the country was truely split 50%/50% on the election and as such any sort of vote rigging had to be kept to an obsolute minimum. Its a hell of a risk for you, everyone involved with you and your entire party if you get caught rigging an election.

How old is this anyhow? Ever noticed how as time passes the conspiracy theories start to flow out, it tends to be when the truth starts to fade from peoples minds and it becomes easier to 'invent' facts.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2005, 12:16:28 am »
Mkay.. what time of year is your birthday? Because right now, you might not want a tent:

for i in 1 2 3 4 5 5 6 7; wget http://www.javaop.com/~iago/snow$i.jpg; done

Don't make fun of me because my dad thinks hes cool by making me use Windows. =(. PS: You download 5 twice. We have snow too.

PPS: Semtember 25th, 2008 (18) and September 25th, 2021 (21) are the best days ever.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2005, 12:20:35 am »
PPS: Semtember 25th, 2008 (18) and September 25th, 2021 (21) are the best days ever.
31*

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2005, 08:26:14 am »
And you're right about the paper trail.  The ideal one is where you physically write down, or punch out, who you want to vote for.  Then, even though a machine is reading it in, you can still go back and count the holes.  Some talk was about a machine that would visually punch out the card and add it to a stack, and you could watch it do the punching.  That would be a more ideal solution. 

Of course that doesn't fix anything because the ballot would have to include the names for the holes so you know its punched out the right one. Then they will have to make a bigger ballot so that it could include names in 172pt font so that even the retards in Florida can read them. But even this won't stop corruptness if it should want to occur and it also doesn't stop the voters from going "OH! I think I really voted for the other guy but I'm not really sure!" after the fact.

My belief is that the country was truely split 50%/50% on the election and as such any sort of vote rigging had to be kept to an obsolute minimum. Its a hell of a risk for you, everyone involved with you and your entire party if you get caught rigging an election.

How old is this anyhow? Ever noticed how as time passes the conspiracy theories start to flow out, it tends to be when the truth starts to fade from peoples minds and it becomes easier to 'invent' facts.
If there was any rigging done, I doubt it was done by the party itself.  They probably tried to wash their hands of it, and may not have even known about it. 

I'm not sure when this was written, but I know it was discussed before, during, and after the 2004 election.  I read a paper about it called "How George Bush won the 2004 election", written in 2003, detailing some of these facts. 

But if you really don't believe it, how do you dispute some of the facts there?

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2005, 01:25:26 pm »
Or maybe because the majority of the United States Citizens support Bush and his campaign.
Recent polls say otherwise. About 39% support him.

This is BS. The day I turn 18 I'm in Canada. Ron, mind if I pitch a tent in your backyard?
Maybe now, but the majority did support him.

I honestly still do not believe that they could pull something off like that without someone doing something about it.  It doesn't make sense.  There has had to be an investigation into this, seeing that the democratic party wouldn't put up with it.  And by now, I am sure they have heard about what you have just said Ron.  I still think it's a load of crap, but that's just me. 
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2005, 05:41:05 pm »
31*

Uhh.. It takes you 13 years to go from 18 to 21?
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2005, 05:57:53 pm »
31*

Uhh.. It takes you 13 years to go from 18 to 21?
Yeah, hes special and only ages once every 1.something years.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2005, 07:28:01 pm »
If there was any rigging done, I doubt it was done by the party itself.  They probably tried to wash their hands of it, and may not have even known about it. 

I'm not sure when this was written, but I know it was discussed before, during, and after the 2004 election.  I read a paper about it called "How George Bush won the 2004 election", written in 2003, detailing some of these facts. 

I don't dispute the facts because they are just that facts. However, what these facts have to do with anything is beyond me. Take 11. for example
11.  Diebold is based in Ohio.
and then from the source cited
Founded in 1859, the company employs more than 14,000 associates with representation in nearly 90 countries worldwide and headquarters in Canton, Ohio, USA.
Well holy shit these guys are really fucking good at predicting the future to know in 1859 that in 2004 Ohio would be a big deal state in an election.

Then we have other things like
6.  Republican Senator Chuck Hagel, long-connected with the Bush family, was recently caught lying about his ownership of ES&S by the Senate Ethics Committee.
However yet again from the source cited we get
Hagel has not been accused of any legal or ethical violation and his staff denies that there has been any wrongdoing.

So clearly the fact on the list is a load of crap. I didn't feel like doing any others but perhaps if I get bored I will.
- William of Ockham

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2005, 08:47:30 pm »

I don't dispute the facts because they are just that facts. However, what these facts have to do with anything is beyond me. Take 11. for example
11.  Diebold is based in Ohio.
and then from the source cited
Founded in 1859, the company employs more than 14,000 associates with representation in nearly 90 countries worldwide and headquarters in Canton, Ohio, USA.
Well holy shit these guys are really fucking good at predicting the future to know in 1859 that in 2004 Ohio would be a big deal state in an election.

Then we have other things like
6.  Republican Senator Chuck Hagel, long-connected with the Bush family, was recently caught lying about his ownership of ES&S by the Senate Ethics Committee.
However yet again from the source cited we get
Hagel has not been accused of any legal or ethical violation and his staff denies that there has been any wrongdoing.

So clearly the fact on the list is a load of crap. I didn't feel like doing any others but perhaps if I get bored I will.

I agree that 11 is dumb, and I don't care about it.  It was probably there to pad the list :)

6 is more surprising, but it's also not a terribly important one.  Why don't you pick the important ones if you're going to do any? :)

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2005, 09:02:43 pm »
Which ones are the important ones? They all look equally sucky to me.

15.  None of the international election observers were allowed in the polls in Ohio.
Then from the source article yet again
It's not Blackwell - it's the law, countered Carlo LoParo, Blackwell's spokesman.

"They're not the only ones being excluded," he said.

Only a few groups are allowed inside polling places, including poll workers, voters, vote challengers, witnesses and police. Anyone else must stay at least 100 feet away from the entrance.
Clearly helps if its noted that its the law and not a selective decision to reject international election observers.

18.  All -- not some -- but all the voting machine errors detected and reported in Florida went in favor of Bush or Republican candidates.

Yet...
In Palm Beach county, analysis showed that Bush should have gained only 17,000 votes. But instead he gained 57,000. In Miami-Dade county he was expected to gain votes, but by much less than he actually did. According to the researchers he should have received only 29,000 more votes, but he actually gained 44,000 votes.

Both Broward and Miami-Dade counties use machines made by Election Systems & Software, while Palm Beach county uses machines made by Sequoia Voting Systems. No Florida counties used touch-screen machines made by Diebold Election Systems, the company whose machines have received the most scrutiny over the last year.
Clearly ES&S was at fault but whats this Sequoia did it too and theres nothing bad about Sequoia here?! Noticed how Florida doesn't use Diebold machines either. Also note this is the exact same point as 20 so the list even has repeats.

It should be rather clear now that this list is just a bunch of BS by some desperate people who are in the 49% that hate Bush.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 09:09:00 pm by zorm »
- William of Ockham

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2005, 09:52:19 pm »
Wow if all that was true then now i'm 100% certin your country [USA] is ran by profit mongers and not the people, definitly would get the ball rolling on an impeachment or something.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2005, 10:03:26 pm »
Which ones are the important ones? They all look equally sucky to me.

15.  None of the international election observers were allowed in the polls in Ohio.
Then from the source article yet again
It's not Blackwell - it's the law, countered Carlo LoParo, Blackwell's spokesman.

"They're not the only ones being excluded," he said.

Only a few groups are allowed inside polling places, including poll workers, voters, vote challengers, witnesses and police. Anyone else must stay at least 100 feet away from the entrance.
Clearly helps if its noted that its the law and not a selective decision to reject international election observers.

18.  All -- not some -- but all the voting machine errors detected and reported in Florida went in favor of Bush or Republican candidates.

Yet...
In Palm Beach county, analysis showed that Bush should have gained only 17,000 votes. But instead he gained 57,000. In Miami-Dade county he was expected to gain votes, but by much less than he actually did. According to the researchers he should have received only 29,000 more votes, but he actually gained 44,000 votes.

Both Broward and Miami-Dade counties use machines made by Election Systems & Software, while Palm Beach county uses machines made by Sequoia Voting Systems. No Florida counties used touch-screen machines made by Diebold Election Systems, the company whose machines have received the most scrutiny over the last year.
Clearly ES&S was at fault but whats this Sequoia did it too and theres nothing bad about Sequoia here?! Noticed how Florida doesn't use Diebold machines either. Also note this is the exact same point as 20 so the list even has repeats.

It should be rather clear now that this list is just a bunch of BS by some desperate people who are in the 49% that hate Bush.

Good points. 

But I still think that this is a very valid concern.  Whether or not it actually happened isn't important, the fact that it could happen is what worries me, and if it does happen, nobody will know (no paper trail, and people will just be called sore losers).  I'm hoping they put more thought into the next election :)