Author Topic: Burning PSU smell  (Read 8012 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Burning PSU smell
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2005, 10:24:26 pm »
Uhhh, I definately wouldn't turn my computer back on with the risk of the power supply burning up and destroy your computer... I'd get a new one ASAP.

That's the plan. In the meantime, I'll use this laptop that my brother owns.

Damn you IRS! Taking engorged from me. :(
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2005, 11:25:50 pm »
Uhhh, I definately wouldn't turn my computer back on with the risk of the power supply burning up and destroy your computer... I'd get a new one ASAP.

I really doubt that would happen.  If the power supply is failing, it's probably due to a short circuit, which isn't going to allow power to go anywhere else.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2005, 12:11:44 am »
What happens if the short circuit emitts sparks which can fry everything? How do you know it's probably due to a short circuit, and what if it's not? Is it really worth the risk of losing all of his hardware?
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2005, 12:22:06 am »
What happens if the short circuit emitts sparks which can fry everything? How do you know it's probably due to a short circuit, and what if it's not? Is it really worth the risk of losing all of his hardware?

Sparks aren't going to fry anything.  It's a really safe assumption that the power supply is shot because of a short circuit of some nature.  The only time I've ever seen an issue with a power supply extend to other hardware was the result of a power surge.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2005, 08:48:36 am »

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2005, 11:41:49 am »

Sparks aren't going to fry anything.  It's a really safe assumption that the power supply is shot because of a short circuit of some nature.  The only time I've ever seen an issue with a power supply extend to other hardware was the result of a power surge.
Mehh, I still wouldn't risk it. :(
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2005, 01:43:57 pm »
Mehh, I still wouldn't risk it. :(

Me neither, I'm just saying. :)

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2005, 02:07:42 pm »

I really doubt that would happen.  If the power supply is failing, it's probably due to a short circuit, which isn't going to allow power to go anywhere else.

I've never looked too much into power supplies but wouldn't a failing supply that was still delivering power deliver dirty electricity thoughout the system leading to possible hardware failure and/or disk corruption?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 02:15:50 pm by Lord[nK] »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2005, 02:15:28 pm »
I've never looked too much into power supplies but wouldn't a failing supply deliver dirty electricity thoughout the system leading to possible hardware failure and/or disk corruption?

Not if it can't deliver power at all.  All of the failed power supplies that I've seen (at least in this nature -- smoke, fire, sparks, etc) are bad because of a short circuit.  Power never leaves the PSU.

I'm sure other forms of malfunctioning PSU's do that sort of thing, but none that behave in the way Newby described.

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2005, 02:16:31 pm »
I've never looked too much into power supplies but wouldn't a failing supply deliver dirty electricity thoughout the system leading to possible hardware failure and/or disk corruption?

All of the failed power supplies that I've seen (at least in this nature -- smoke, fire, sparks, etc) are bad because of a short circuit.

I'm sure other forms of malfunctioning PSU's do that sort of thing, but none that behave in the way Newby described.

ah. k.