Author Topic: Don't buy the xbox 360 yet!  (Read 9029 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Don't buy the xbox 360 yet!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2005, 12:26:44 pm »
Just a question to you: why don't you like Windows so much? I havn't had a single problem in years, now that I know what I'm doing. It's a hell of a lot easier to use Windows than it is any Linux distro if you're not used to them, and probably even if you are used to them.

How long have you used Windows for?

If you'd used Linux for that many years, believe me, you'd like it more than you like Windows. 

Once you get used to Linux, it's so easy to do everything.  I have direct access to everything I need, every program I need is available in seconds, the directory structure is MUCH cleaner, I can re-install it without the hassle of backing everything up.  I can throw together quick programs using their free compiler and free development tools.  I can make quick scripts in their Bash shell to automate annoying tasks.  It takes up FAR less memory.  I don't have to worry about security updates, as long as I'm the only local user.  If I want software to do just about anything, it's probably free.  I also like having 6 workspaces, lightweight (on Windows, it takes up rediculous memory), and being able to switch between them instantly.  Also, I hate the desktop, taskbar, and start menu. 

Finally, pretty much every program I want to use (lately, anyway) is either Linux/Windows, or just Linux.  Plus, most programs I use (especially security stuff I used for work/use for fun) are distributed only as source, and compiling source on Windows is painful.

I'll give you a quick example of Bash scripting.  If you want to convert 100 pictures from 1200x1600 .jpg files to 800x600 .png files, how would you do it?

for i in *.jpg; do convert -resize 800x600 $i $i.png; done

And that's only a single line. 

I don't know of ANY way to do that on Windows, without converting them individually or buying a program. 

My final point is that, to quote Linus, the inventor of Linux, "The most important design issue is that Linux is supposed to be fun".  Windows isn't meant to be fun, it's meant to be commercial.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2005, 12:43:02 pm »
Just a question to you: why don't you like Windows so much? I havn't had a single problem in years, now that I know what I'm doing. It's a hell of a lot easier to use Windows than it is any Linux distro if you're not used to them, and probably even if you are used to them.

How long have you used Windows for?

If you'd used Linux for that many years, believe me, you'd like it more than you like Windows.

Once you get used to Linux, it's so easy to do everything. I have direct access to everything I need, every program I need is available in seconds, the directory structure is MUCH cleaner, I can re-install it without the hassle of backing everything up. I can throw together quick programs using their free compiler and free development tools. I can make quick scripts in their Bash shell to automate annoying tasks. It takes up FAR less memory. I don't have to worry about security updates, as long as I'm the only local user. If I want software to do just about anything, it's probably free. I also like having 6 workspaces, lightweight (on Windows, it takes up rediculous memory), and being able to switch between them instantly. Also, I hate the desktop, taskbar, and start menu.

Finally, pretty much every program I want to use (lately, anyway) is either Linux/Windows, or just Linux. Plus, most programs I use (especially security stuff I used for work/use for fun) are distributed only as source, and compiling source on Windows is painful.

I'll give you a quick example of Bash scripting. If you want to convert 100 pictures from 1200x1600 .jpg files to 800x600 .png files, how would you do it?

And that's only a single line.

I don't know of ANY way to do that on Windows, without converting them individually or buying a program.

My final point is that, to quote Linus, the inventor of Linux, "The most important design issue is that Linux is supposed to be fun". Windows isn't meant to be fun, it's meant to be commercial.

Not always.  I've compiled a couple programs on Windows (that were pretty big) and didn't take TOO long, though it was a hassle. Oh wells.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2005, 01:16:06 pm »
On Linux, it's common and not a hassel.  Stuff is designed to compile on Linux. 

It's very rare that opensource developers use Visual Studio, because of the cost.  So it's very uncommon (in fact, I've never seen it happen..) that an opensource project support Visual Studio.  And using gcc for Windows is painful. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2005, 01:22:21 pm »
And using gcc for Windows is painful. 

Hell yes.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2005, 10:08:47 am »
This has been fixed it was sue to the power supply overheating.  If you pick it off a carpet it fixes it.  As seen here http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=23998153&page=0
-RoMi

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2005, 10:14:51 am »
Sarge: XBox 360?  How'd I miss versions 2 through 359?
Simmons: Technology moves fast.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2005, 10:59:54 am »
I disagree. 

Anybody who doesn't like Windows shouldn't use it.  There are alternatives which are (in my opinion, at least) vastly superior. 

In terms of the US government, you don't really have much choice there. 

And finally, WoW: you can't help it, it's an addiction :-P

Haha, yeah.  I honestly don't think I could just "stop" playing WoW.  I have a lot of friends I've made that would probably wonder where I vanished to.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2005, 11:53:55 am »
This has been fixed it was sue to the power supply overheating.  If you pick it off a carpet it fixes it.  As seen here http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=23998153&page=0
Rofl, looks like another power supply recall for MS.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2005, 12:05:47 pm »

There's a free Windows XP PowerToy that allows you to resize multiple images:

Image Resizer

This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a right-click.

I know exactly where you're coming from, though.  Really the only reason I use Windows over Linux is because I'm so used to it (and have very few problems using it) and because I'm a moderately avid gamer. :)

I didn't know you could do that!  Buahah, I'm going to have all kinds of fun now. :)

Edit -- I didn't see that you wanted to convert them to PNG as well.  To do that, I'd probably just use FastStone Image Converter, which I also use to convert all of my WoW screenshots (when they're not taken using FRAPS) from TGA to PNG.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 12:11:55 pm by Sidoh »

trust

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2005, 01:00:13 pm »
That power toy is great, I use it ALL the time.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2005, 01:04:42 pm »
That power toy is great, I use it ALL the time.

Yeah, it's really useful. :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2005, 01:27:30 pm »
I like my way better.  I can also change compression, add filters, and do it to all files in all subfolders that match a certain pattern, then proceed to upload the new pictures all without user interaction. 

Plus, it's just one example of something that is scriptable.   On Linux, everything is scriptable :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2005, 01:36:28 pm »
I like my way better.  I can also change compression, add filters, and do it to all files in all subfolders that match a certain pattern, then proceed to upload the new pictures all without user interaction. 

Plus, it's just one example of something that is scriptable.   On Linux, everything is scriptable :P

Hehe, I do too.  I'm just showing you that it's possible on Windows without paying.

Yes, that's one thing I've really enjoyed with Linux, it's very flexible; you just have to know how to... bend it. ;)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2005, 01:37:57 pm »

Hehe, I do too.  I'm just showing you that it's possible on Windows without paying.

Yes, that's one thing I've really enjoyed with Linux, it's very flexible; you just have to know how to... bend it. ;)

"Over a table" works well.  :-P

Yeah, Linux is great if you know what you're doing.  But when anybody here started using Windows, they didn't know what they were doing either.  So it's all relative :)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2005, 05:13:06 pm »
Yep. I think they lose around $176 per console, including labor. They're making their money off of games/accessories.

And I hate people who dislike Microsoft because it's the "cool" thing to do but really have no basis for their claims. Joe.

I have enough reasons to justify complaining.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.