Author Topic: Howdy  (Read 22324 times)

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
Re: Howdy
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2005, 02:43:55 pm »
No, I haven't looked at Illonis.  I don't know if my parents want me to go that far out-of-state.  I live in Kansas City Missouri and so KU is out of state for me too.  But, it's closer than MU and UMR.  Also, I have a bunch of family in Kansas that may allow me to use their address.  That way I don't have to pay out of state tuition.. But, we'll see.

If you can't get instate, look into the MidWest Student Exchange, it allows a certain number of students from each state to get reduced (usually 1.5 instate) tuition rather than paying full out of state tuition.  I definately incourage you to look at KSU's CS program though, I think you'll like it a lot better than KU's which is in my opinion one of the worst ones in the state.  Manhattan is about 2 hours from the Missouri side of KC, so its not too bad.

Okay, I will look into that.  But, why do you think KU has one of the worse CS program?

Well, for starters, Computer Science does not even have their own department (a rareity for good reason).  Instead they are bundled with the Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering program.  This is not good, Electrical Engineering has virtually nothing to do with Computer Science and the fact that you have some professors teaching both EE and CS courses really says a lot about how their CS classes are orriented.  The KU CS  budget is obscenely lower and they have a reputation for not challenging their students.  At KU, CS is one of those departments that has simply been lost in the crowd.  The one good thing I can say about it is they do probably have a higher ratio of instructors with English as their primary language.  I could rant all day about the things I don't like about KU, but I'll just leave you with this interesting fact:  The entire Network infrastructure is run by students (who don't know what they are doing).  This backfired on them horribly a year or so ago when their entire (ENTIRE) network crashed because of a virus on one dorm students machine (they have basically no security measures in place, their managed AV is a joke).  It took them 8 hours to isolate the problem, 2 days to restore partial internet access in select areas, and 13 days to completely fix everything.  The worst part was that this was during dead week/ finals week so tons of students were hit pretty hard.

@ZeroX: what do you have against Green Day?

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2005, 02:49:02 pm »

Nothing Personally. I just dont know how you can put Metallica and Greenday in the same mind and like both  ???
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2005, 03:05:16 pm »

Nothing Personally. I just dont know how you can put Metallica and Greenday in the same mind and like both  ???
Metallica sucks now anyway.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2005, 07:19:14 pm »

Metallica sucks now anyway.

Exactly: Both are whored now.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2005, 10:25:49 am »

I disagree with the idea that you have to like only a certain type of music.  I enjoy any and all music that shows talent, so lots of talent is usually what makes a band one of my favorites.  I can listen to Enya, Randy Travis, and Disturbed in the same sitting and enjoy them all.  :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2005, 01:34:43 pm »
I disagree with the idea that you have to like only a certain type of music.  I enjoy any and all music that shows talent, so lots of talent is usually what makes a band one of my favorites.  I can listen to Enya, Randy Travis, and Disturbed in the same sitting and enjoy them all.  :P

Kudos!

Yeah, my taste in music is pretty wide-spread, all things considered.  Like you, I'll listen to things like Exodus, Slayer, Disturbed, Dry Kill Logic, etc and really enjoy them.  Right after that, I might listen to Brian Tyler (orchestral -- Children of Dune soundtrack) or something like that.  I've been listening to The Postal Service recently (indietronic).

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2005, 01:56:27 pm »
No, I haven't looked at Illonis.  I don't know if my parents want me to go that far out-of-state.  I live in Kansas City Missouri and so KU is out of state for me too.  But, it's closer than MU and UMR.  Also, I have a bunch of family in Kansas that may allow me to use their address.  That way I don't have to pay out of state tuition.. But, we'll see.

If you can't get instate, look into the MidWest Student Exchange, it allows a certain number of students from each state to get reduced (usually 1.5 instate) tuition rather than paying full out of state tuition.  I definately incourage you to look at KSU's CS program though, I think you'll like it a lot better than KU's which is in my opinion one of the worst ones in the state.  Manhattan is about 2 hours from the Missouri side of KC, so its not too bad.

Okay, I will look into that.  But, why do you think KU has one of the worse CS program?

Well, for starters, Computer Science does not even have their own department (a rareity for good reason).  Instead they are bundled with the Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering program.  This is not good, Electrical Engineering has virtually nothing to do with Computer Science and the fact that you have some professors teaching both EE and CS courses really says a lot about how their CS classes are orriented.  The KU CS  budget is obscenely lower and they have a reputation for not challenging their students.  At KU, CS is one of those departments that has simply been lost in the crowd.  The one good thing I can say about it is they do probably have a higher ratio of instructors with English as their primary language.  I could rant all day about the things I don't like about KU, but I'll just leave you with this interesting fact:  The entire Network infrastructure is run by students (who don't know what they are doing).  This backfired on them horribly a year or so ago when their entire (ENTIRE) network crashed because of a virus on one dorm students machine (they have basically no security measures in place, their managed AV is a joke).  It took them 8 hours to isolate the problem, 2 days to restore partial internet access in select areas, and 13 days to completely fix everything.  The worst part was that this was during dead week/ finals week so tons of students were hit pretty hard.

Alright, thanks for the information.  I appreciate it. ;)
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2005, 02:16:52 pm »
By the way, Computer Engineers tend to suck (A LOT) at programming.  So if both departments are combined, I highly recommend avoiding it. 

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2005, 02:48:15 pm »
By the way, Computer Engineers tend to suck (A LOT) at programming.  So if both departments are combined, I highly recommend avoiding it. 

When I looked at schools, if EECE and CS were not seperate departments I didn't even bother going for a tour.  Furthermore, CompE had to have a different curriculum than EE to convince me that CompE wasn't just an afterthought.  By the way, not all CompE majors suck at programming ;)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2005, 05:39:42 pm »

When I looked at schools, if EECE and CS were not seperate departments I didn't even bother going for a tour.  Furthermore, CompE had to have a different curriculum than EE to convince me that CompE wasn't just an afterthought.  By the way, not all CompE majors suck at programming ;)
But you do!
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2005, 07:31:15 pm »

A lot of them do, though. :)

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2005, 09:39:22 am »
lets be teachers instead of computer engineers!
er....ok?

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2005, 05:56:21 pm »
I think he's implying comp engineers have a hard time getting jobs and we need more teachers, or summat.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2005, 09:57:32 pm »
Tomorrow night deadly! (and anyone else that wants to join in the drunken dota festivities)

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2005, 10:25:52 pm »
YES
PICK ME
PICK ME

(Light@Lordaeron, Lotus@USWest)