Author Topic: Hearts!  (Read 3202 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Hearts!
« on: January 24, 2006, 10:32:57 pm »
We had a game of Hearts at lunch time today, and apparently we're going to be doing it twice a week, until we get sick of it, I guess.

First of all, my skill level: I played against Windows a few dozen times, when I was quite young.  I won sometimes, I lost sometimes. 

Other players, from best to worst:
- Mike, a pro who I've never seen lose a card game.  He's reasonably good at counting cards, and beat some other Hearts players by A LOT last time I watched him play. 
- Kevin, a self-declared Hearts champion in high-school.
- (me)
- Garrett, his second time playing, ever, I think.

And the results were:
Winner: me, by tons.  I cleaned up (next person behind me was about 60 points back)
Second: Garrett, by a decent amount (20 points, or so)
Third: Kevin, though it was close
Forth: Mike

I love how it was all topsy-turvy, I never expected to win, and I never expected Mike to lose, etc.  I suspect it had to do with luck, though, I'll probably get creamed next time.

Part way through the game, a prof walked by and came in, asking what we were playing.  We told him Hearts.  He looked suspicious, and in a joking sorta way asked if we were playing for money.  I had a bowl in fruit in front of me, so I said "nope, we're playing for fruit."  The thing is, none of us has had that prof recently, so we aren't really sure if he was being friendly or if he was trying to get us in trouble.  But it all worked out.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 10:35:43 pm »
Haha, that's awesome. But it's double awesome if you were really playing for fruit.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 12:03:24 am »
I don't know how to play hearts, and have tried to learn and failed.  After I failed, I moved onto Minesweeper.  I've never looked back.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 12:59:20 am »
Uhh... we played Heart in 8th grade... it got boring after about one week. Keeping count of score is tough.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 08:05:30 am »
I prefer Solitare, because I have no friends!

But seriously, if I were to play a card game at lunch, it'd probably be idiot, aka shithead. But all I do at lunch is eat a cheeseburger, drink rootbeer (free refills WOOT) and discuss WoW with Tyler Chris and Matt. We're all in Evil Intent on Cho'gall, so it's pretty sweet.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 09:12:08 am »
... and discuss WoW with Tyler Chris and Matt. We're all in Evil Intent on Cho'gall, so it's pretty sweet.

Hahahaha. If I knew you and went to your school, I'd probably beat you up for being retarded. At least we throw in weird sexual terms when we talk about D&D.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 09:42:10 am »
I don't know how to play hearts, and have tried to learn and failed.  After I failed, I moved onto Minesweeper.  I've never looked back.
It's not very hard once it's explained to you. :)

Uhh... we played Heart in 8th grade... it got boring after about one week. Keeping count of score is tough.
Keeping score is easy!  Every hearts card is 1 point, and the queen of spades is 13.  That's it!  Oh, and if you take every point, the other players get 26 and you get 0. 

But seriously, if I were to play a card game at lunch, it'd probably be idiot, aka shithead. But all I do at lunch is eat a cheeseburger, drink rootbeer (free refills WOOT) and discuss WoW with Tyler Chris and Matt. We're all in Evil Intent on Cho'gall, so it's pretty sweet.
We've played that before, but it's pretty boring.  Not much strategy, all luck, it's only good to waste time.  Hearts is a lot more fun overall.  And yes, the people who spend a lot of time talking about WoW are such losers, it seems...

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 07:13:42 pm »
Keeping score is easy!  Every hearts card is 1 point, and the queen of spades is 13.  That's it!  Oh, and if you take every point, the other players get 26 and you get 0.
Or you can deduct 26 points from your score, which is always nice if you've got a lot of points.

I like hearts, and I rarely do poorly at it...hrm.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 09:59:24 pm »
Yea, but in 40 minutes we only get like 3 games done after counting up the cards then reshuffling. Someone always loses the score sheet the next day :\.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

trust

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 10:52:57 pm »
The thing is, none of us has had that prof recently, so we aren't really sure if he was being friendly or if he was trying to get us in trouble.  But it all worked out.

Maybe he wanted to play. :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 11:02:28 pm »
Yea, but in 40 minutes we only get like 3 games done after counting up the cards then reshuffling. Someone always loses the score sheet the next day :\.
We have about 90 minutes, but somebody was late so we only had about 75 minutes to play.  We probably did about 10-15 hands.  Nobody reached 100, but all three of them were pretty close.

The thing is, none of us has had that prof recently, so we aren't really sure if he was being friendly or if he was trying to get us in trouble.  But it all worked out.
Haha, if we were playing a game where you can randomly add a player, we might have offered.  But then, we'd probably end up with a dozen players if we did that..
Maybe he wanted to play. :)