Author Topic: Does smoking kill iagos? All this and more!  (Read 8422 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Does smoking kill iagos? All this and more!
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2005, 10:39:25 pm »
I am aware of no such evidence.  In every document I've seen about second hand smoke being dangerous, references are either circular or non-existant.  I've never seen one that actually refers to a real study.

Seeing as second-hand smoke is smoke that's come out of the cigarette without going through the filter, I don't see how it could be any less harming than the smoke inhaled from the head of the cigarette.

Additionally, the correct plural of "iago" is "iagi".

You said yourself:
it's a matter of concentration.  We're breathing a lot more air than we're breathing car exhaust when we go outside.  Same with the factories, tar, etc.
Second hand smoke is considerably less concentrated than first hand smoke.  Anybody who's smoked a cigarette can tell you it's a totally different feeling inhaling it directly than it is being near it.  Being near it just stinks, inhaling it is .. hard to describe.. maybe painful. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2005, 10:44:02 pm »
Second hand smoke is considerably less concentrated than first hand smoke.  Anybody who's smoked a cigarette can tell you it's a totally different feeling inhaling it directly than it is being near it.  Being near it just stinks, inhaling it is .. hard to describe.. maybe painful. 

Haha, I knew you'd bring that up!

While this is true, it's still a lot more concentrated than the chemicals emitted by, say, the tar on a road or the exhaust from a car engine.  This is again relative to the size of the room and how often you're exposed to it.  If it's often (which is generally the only time someone will complain), I think they're going to be a lot worse off than someone who has just been outside and exposed to car exhaust for a while.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2005, 12:44:49 am »
Who cares? Even if marijuana were on par with ciggerettes (show me more deaths by any drug in this modern era than ciggerrettes and i'll cry) than you guys should atleast think of it as such. We all have our quirks, I tolerate yours and if you tolerate mine it is a more peace full and at-one world.

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2005, 01:08:24 am »
Who cares? Even if marijuana were on par with ciggerettes (show me more deaths by any drug in this modern era than ciggerrettes and i'll cry) than you guys should atleast think of it as such. We all have our quirks, I tolerate yours and if you tolerate mine it is a more peace full and at-one world.

Did you invent marijuana? Does your family make a living from marijuana? (Honesty, please.) Anyway, why is it that when their is a regular debate involving marijuana on these forums, you become irrational and defensive, without actually backing up your information.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2005, 01:14:10 am »

The reason cigarettes are such a prominent cause of death in the US is because they're misused in greater scales than Marijuana.  When someone finds something they want to apply their skills to (IE: College, a job, etc), they'll tend to try to drop their illegal habits, Marijuana included.  Because of this, Marijuana is rarely used for time periods nearly as extended as the ones people use cigarettes in.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2005, 09:11:40 am »
But seriously, smoking a single pack of cigarettes isn't good for you, but it's not going to kill you.
Actually, it would kill people allergic to nicotene (sp?) or any of the ingredients of cigarettes.  IE: me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2005, 12:23:18 pm »

The reason cigarettes are such a prominent cause of death in the US is because they're misused in greater scales than Marijuana.  When someone finds something they want to apply their skills to (IE: College, a job, etc), they'll tend to try to drop their illegal habits, Marijuana included.  Because of this, Marijuana is rarely used for time periods nearly as extended as the ones people use cigarettes in.
I agree. 

But seriously, smoking a single pack of cigarettes isn't good for you, but it's not going to kill you.
Actually, it would kill people allergic to nicotene (sp?) or any of the ingredients of cigarettes.  IE: me.
That doesn't count :P