Author Topic: No Nerds?!  (Read 10123 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: No Nerds?!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 10:03:40 pm »
He stole MacOS.  Business.

Anyways, a geek is a nerd with a [social] life.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 10:22:47 pm »
That's Bill Gates? Wow++.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 10:48:16 pm »
No, people who work for him programmed Windows.  He's a business guy. 

He bought Dos.  Business. 

He was very successful in college, though (IIRC).  He had a strong interest for computer science and did well studying it.  I'd definitely agree that he's more of a entrepreneur than a geek/nerd, but I think he's got some geek/nerd blood in him for sure!

On a side note, I don't think being a nerd is necessarily a bad thing.  I'm more of a geek than a nerd, but oh well.  People call me a "nerd" or a "computer geek," neither of which I find offensive at any time, unless they're trying to use them in a derogatory context.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 10:49:41 pm »
I tend to take offense to being called a "nerd".  I don't like the word or the connotations that come along with it. 

Geek, on the other hand, is fine with me, as long as they aren't trying to use it in a derogatory way. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 10:55:37 pm »
I tend to take offense to being called a "nerd".  I don't like the word or the connotations that come along with it. 

Geek, on the other hand, is fine with me, as long as they aren't trying to use it in a derogatory way. 

Haha, this is such a bad definition since it limits a person to a passion in computer science, but I pretty much agree with it other than that.  I don't suppose I agree with the "See also hacker." part either, though.  Hackers aren't always nerds; in fact, they rarely are.  They generally seem to be plain losers. :P

A computer expert by aptitude and not mere training. Usually male, under the age of 35 and socially inept; a person whose tremendous skill with operating or designing computer hardware or software is exceeded only by his, rarely her, passionate love of the technology. See also hacker.

I probably agree with the "socially inept" part.  That seems to be something that people associate nerds with.  Oh well, I suppose I kind of an socially inept, relative to my peers.  I hang out with my close friends (I have two that I do things with on a regular basis, but I get along with almost everyone at my school; I secretly hate a few, but I don't let them know it unless they bug me. :)), but I don't really go to any "normal" high school social events (parties, going to movies/mall, etc) on a normal basis. 

Haha, I remember when I went to the after-prom party last year because I wasn't aware that's where we were going.  Like everyone that saw me was astonished of my presence!  Some douche bag tried to jump a Bonn fire on a bike... ugh, people are so stupid.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2005, 11:16:54 pm »
Haha, there's a difference between being socially inept and not wanting to hang around with highschool idiots.  I was never close to a lot of people in highschool, because they're mostly stupid.  I got along with them, but only hung out with my close friends. 

Lately, I've found myself much better at social situations.  As an example, last Friday (9 or 10 days ago), I had to kill a few hours.  So I went to a place where people in a similar CS program to me hang out.  I managed to talk to strangers for the better part of 3 hours.  And get beaten at the card game War. 

Although, they knew me, because I marked their assignments.  But we were mostly strangers. 

My point is.. I forget what my point is.  Probably that I was probably a nerd in highschool, but for good reason, but now I get on with people just fine.  As long as I share some kind of common ground with them.  But I still have trouble talking to certain people, mostly teenagers, because they suck. :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2005, 11:27:31 pm »
Haha, there's a difference between being socially inept and not wanting to hang around with highschool idiots.  I was never close to a lot of people in highschool, because they're mostly stupid.  I got along with them, but only hung out with my close friends. 

Lately, I've found myself much better at social situations.  As an example, last Friday (9 or 10 days ago), I had to kill a few hours.  So I went to a place where people in a similar CS program to me hang out.  I managed to talk to strangers for the better part of 3 hours.  And get beaten at the card game War. 

Although, they knew me, because I marked their assignments.  But we were mostly strangers. 

My point is.. I forget what my point is.  Probably that I was probably a nerd in highschool, but for good reason, but now I get on with people just fine.  As long as I share some kind of common ground with them.  But I still have trouble talking to certain people, mostly teenagers, because they suck. :)

Hehe.  I suppose you're completely right, there.  Perhaps the reasons nerds are socially inept is that this is true?! :O

And yes, I agree with you.  I can mingle amongst strangers and generally find some conversation I'm comfortable joining, but I'd generally rather be somewhere else (right here, my computer! :)).  And I think I can relate pretty closely to your high school situation right now.  I'm not really close to many people in my school other than my two friends.  Hell, I don't even think I'd ever date 99% of the girls in my school.  They're either stupid or don't know what they want. -_-

Are you saying I suck, iago?  Well, I love you too. :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2005, 11:42:25 pm »
Are you saying I suck, iago?  Well, I love you too. :)

Nope, but I sure as heck implied it :)

I think an important thing for "geeks" to get into is role-playing.  It really is a great way to meet people, make friends, learn how to socialize, have fun, and not get into trouble. 

It's so neat that my current gaming group is 4 guys + 3 girls.  I love those odds!  And one of the girls is single (I think), into the same stuff as me, and with the same selse of humour, half the time I'm the only one who laughs at her jokes (just like mine!).  Mmm...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2005, 11:44:24 pm »
Nope, but I sure as heck implied it :)

I think an important thing for "geeks" to get into is role-playing.  It really is a great way to meet people, make friends, learn how to socialize, have fun, and not get into trouble. 

It's so neat that my current gaming group is 4 guys + 3 girls.  I love those odds!  And one of the girls is single (I think), into the same stuff as me, and with the same selse of humour, half the time I'm the only one who laughs at her jokes (just like mine!).  Mmm...

Meanie.  :-*

Haha, that's a horrible generalzation!  But it's so damned true!  Hehe, I love role playing.  I don't think I've ever played with a girl in our group, though... :'(

Someone's been hit by the cupid's arrow? :O

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2005, 11:45:43 pm »
Haha. Our D&D group is 100% male. We tried to get a girl in, but her mom is concerned it's gonna be some massive orgy.... :(
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2005, 11:47:03 pm »
Haha. Our D&D group is 100% male. We tried to get a girl in, but her mom is concerned it's gonna be some massive orgy.... :(

Probably because she can predict the future! :)

Honestly, I don't think there are many girls (if at all) in this dinky town that would be remotely interested in role playing (of those sort, anyway.  There are some fucking kinky girls in my school, but they sure as hell wouldn't be role playing with swords and fireballs)...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2005, 11:49:57 pm »
Female gamers are awesome.  They're better than the male players we have. 

The very first game I ever played was GM'ed by a woman.  My friend's mom, in fact.  She ran a game of AT&T for me and my friend, at their cottage.  The next day, his dad ran a game for me, his mom, and my friend.  It was pretty cool, too. :)

I still remember the game, too.  We were lackies for the Avatar of the God of Failure (the Avatar was Hiero, and the God of Failure is Hammel, I believe).  Basically, everything he does, he fails successfully, and ends up ahead.  He (hiero) was also the biggest bullshitter ever.  Eventually, we cast "Oh Go Away" on him (somehow), and he got eaten by a Kraken.  Sadly, my friend's dad rolled 2 dice.  He said, "If these come up 1 2 or 1 3, he's dead.  Otherwise, he teleported away.".  He got away.

The cool thing is, the world we played in was part of an ongoing campaign, with characters that were created when my friend was probably 5.  He was brought up with what his mom referred to as "interactive bedtime stories".  He's been gaming all his life.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2005, 11:52:15 pm »

Probably because she can predict the future! :)

God no!

a. The girl isn't very pretty. Well, she is, but I don't find her attractive.
b. She's much too high-strung (morals++) for any of our tastes. :/
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2005, 11:55:57 pm »
Female gamers are awesome.  They're better than the male players we have. 

The very first game I ever played was GM'ed by a woman.  My friend's mom, in fact.  She ran a game of AT&T for me and my friend, at their cottage.  The next day, his dad ran a game for me, his mom, and my friend.  It was pretty cool, too. :)

I still remember the game, too.  We were lackies for the Avatar of the God of Failure (the Avatar was Hiero, and the God of Failure is Hammel, I believe).  Basically, everything he does, he fails successfully, and ends up ahead.  He (hiero) was also the biggest bullshitter ever.  Eventually, we cast "Oh Go Away" on him (somehow), and he got eaten by a Kraken.  Sadly, my friend's dad rolled 2 dice.  He said, "If these come up 1 2 or 1 3, he's dead.  Otherwise, he teleported away.".  He got away.

The cool thing is, the world we played in was part of an ongoing campaign, with characters that were created when my friend was probably 5.  He was brought up with what his mom referred to as "interactive bedtime stories".  He's been gaming all his life.

I so agree.  Female gamers rock.  I know one from South Dakoda (she plays WoW) that is a really neat person.  I've gotten to know her pretty well, but obviously you can only come so close to a person over the internet... :P

Hehe, that's awesome.  My boss started developing Metascape when he was in Middle School.  He's always really liked role-playing.

God no!

a. The girl isn't very pretty. Well, she is, but I don't find her attractive.
b. She's much too high-strung (morals++) for any of our tastes. :/

Haha.  Not very man female gamers are, sorry to say.  Sure, there are a few, but there's generally something wrong with them because well, that's just life.  It sucks.  T_~

I'm pretty high-strung myself, I guess.  I definitely don't preach my morals unless I'm asked to (or am provoked into doing so by someone preaching the opposite of what I stand for), but I stand by them pretty strongly.  I don't drink, I don't do drugs of any sort (unless you count caffeine) and all other things that are connotated with those types of morals.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2005, 11:59:33 pm »
Haha, I am pretty moral.  It's very rare that I drink, never touched drugs.  But when it comes to a game, or even a joke, I'll say anything, and I don't care what anybody else says. 

If somebody is highstrung like, "You can't rape somebody in a game!!", fuck 'em.