Author Topic: Re: Wish me luck. [Debating Issue]  (Read 1685 times)

trust

Re: Wish me luck. [Debating Issue]
« on: December 18, 2005, 03:26:22 pm »
First of all, though:

(Sidoh)
But even then, it wouldn't be filed as "sexual" harassment.

Actually it would, we had to watch a video on sexual harrasment in middle school, simple touching (if not wanted by the girl) would be considered "sexual." Even if it's on the head, or finger, or what have you.

(iago)
Debating isn't about being cocky and proving that you're right.  It's about discussing a topic through logical arguments, and finding flaws in the opponents' logic.  Just thinking that you're right doesn't cut it as an argument

Thinking your right cuts it if you are right. Muhahaha. :P

(Warrior)
Well..you're not going to team up with them. Each team is affirmitive or negative no room for maybe or you will just get laughed at. Also some of the cockiest debaters are the ones who score the most points simply because they are aggressive in the questioning and make the other person confused. It's a pretty good strat imho

You're getting it wrong, being cocky means being aggressive in YOUR QUESTIONING as well as youour opening statements and rebuttles. You actually need to listen to be able to question so yea..that doesn't make sense.

I'm pretty much the cockiest debater at my school, but I'm pretty arrogant all around. In fact, last year, my debate team award was the "I think I'm better than everyone" award. The girl that made up the different individual awards (captain) is now my partner. :) And last year this other judge came up to my coach and said how I was pretty arrogant. But I mean, I had reason to be, I placed every time I went there and I got 1st place (both team and individual) at my very first debate ever. Plus, I just rock.

Anyway, the only time you ask questions is during cross-examination (in court too, not just high school/college debate). Cross-Examination is to be used for "clarification" for stuff said in the constructive arguments. In fact, many judges will put their pens down during this time as it doesn't affect the outcome - although I get "good cx questions" as comments on my paper a lot.

Many teams attempt to "trick" the other people, which is what I do. It's not really what you're SUPPOSED to do, and it CAN backfire but it usually won't. It works sometimes but then again some people can weasel their way out of most any question (like me!). Once last year I got a team to say that they agree with mass genocide. It was cool, since I of course used that against them.

Also, if you're TOO aggressive during questioning the other team can point it out (nicely, just saying that they'd appreciate if you were a little less rude) and the judge could take favor to that. They can also run a rude critique basically saying that the rude team is hindernig debate and thus they're being detrimental to the educational value of debate. Some judges will take critiques into consideration even though they really have no substance, but it's a good thing to point out a teams rudeness as it could cut down on their speaker points.

(Sidoh)
Being cocky and arrogant generally entails that you're stubborn and refuse to see the other side of the argument.  Because of that, your arguments are weaker because you'll fail to see the flaws in their points.  Starting the argument with a neutral point of view (or at least pretending you have a neutral standing) generally makes your arguments a lot stronger than they otherwise would be.

Why have a neutral point? Generally when entering an argument you have the agenda of arguing a certain position. Being neutral is pretty stupid because, basically, neutral people don't argue...because they're neutral. You generally can't (safely) concede points, but it rules++ if you can meet their points and your points.

(iago)
Yeah, exactly.  That's how debating is done around here, anyway. 

That's because Canada doesn't have a position, they just like getting in the way! :P

(Sidoh)
Being cocky means you think you're inherantly correct, which is a horrible stance in debates.
Well, it's good to have confidence in your position; and if that spills over into a hint of arrogance, then so be it. It's better than questioning your position.

-------------------

@Warriors "advice"
I think the "trying to save her form embarrasment" would have been a good position to take, but I don't think giving that cocky smirk would have helped him any. I have a pretty arrogant smirk sometimes, and it makes people (read: my mother when we're arguing) mad. It doesn't help me very much. I think that administrators favor more kindly to those who will just apologize instead of fighting with them, basically "nicer" people. They'll do favors too, like you get you out of Saturday school. Haha. :)

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
Re: Wish me luck. [Debating Issue]
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 09:29:11 pm »
Ummm... who cares?