Author Topic: Computer Illiterate Parents Suck  (Read 11745 times)

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Illiterate Parents Suck
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2006, 08:30:30 pm »
Playing with Mythix on SC does suck, his DSL annoys me. :(

He has cable now, I'm pretty sure.
Yeah, and do you know how many fucking times he's jacked off to it's sexiness?!

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2006, 08:39:44 pm »
To everyone bragging about the certs, computer literate people (I mean people that hang around computers for more than 3+ hours a day and don't just play games or talk on aim, cause that isn't literacy. :P) know that they don't really mean jack shit, but to the computer illiterate you seem like a god.  It helps a lot [so I've heard, I can't work to fix other people's computers yet, damn mom -.-'] when running your own pc repair business out of your house.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2006, 08:44:39 pm »
To everyone bragging about the certs, computer literate people (I mean people that hang around computers for more than 3+ hours a day and don't just play games or talk on aim, cause that isn't literacy. :P) know that they don't really mean jack shit, but to the computer illiterate you seem like a god.  It helps a lot [so I've heard, I can't work to fix other people's computers yet, damn mom -.-'] when running your own pc repair business out of your house.

They hold some value -- proving at one time, you knew enough about computers to pass some test.  Of course it's going to mean more to someone who doesn't understand what it stands for; that's common sense.

Running your own PC repair business takes too much time.  I haven't advertized a single bit and I already have more work in that area than I'm comfortable with.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2006, 10:58:08 pm »
I can top all of your stories.  I am Iron Man, na na na na na na, vote for me!  :D
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2006, 11:01:27 pm »
CCIE = highest (Cisco Certified Internetworking Expert or something to that extent)

That's my life goal, to achieve one of those. There's a 2 hour written exam and an 8 hour lab. :X
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2006, 11:11:24 pm »
CCIE = highest (Cisco Certified Internetworking Expert or something to that extent)

That's my life goal, to achieve one of those. There's a 2 hour written exam and an 8 hour lab. :X

I'm pretty sure that's the one I was thinking of, I just got the words/acronym messed up.  We had one out our school about a year ago.  He was a weird guy...

I seriously don't think I'd spend the time/money to do that, though.  The jobs you get with those sorts of things require you to travel all around the country on a constant basis.  That would suck. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCIE

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2006, 09:05:10 am »

They hold some value -- proving at one time, you knew enough about computers to pass some test.  Of course it's going to mean more to someone who doesn't understand what it stands for; that's common sense.

Running your own PC repair business takes too much time.  I haven't advertized a single bit and I already have more work in that area than I'm comfortable with.
You live in the Middle Of Nowhere, USA, though.  In my city there is like.. everything.  Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc.  Plus, not many people will call a fourteen year old to work for them.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2006, 11:08:18 am »
Joe, that's a terrible essay for multiple reasons. I don't see why'd you'd be so upset over such a short essay; however, you should save your essays if they are that important even if your computer is stable. There are things you can't control, such as your parents, weather, natural, and the power company.

I'm not upset that I lost it. In fact, if you read the first post, I didn't even write it. =p

I'm just looking for a reason to tell my dad to stop screwing with my system.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2006, 12:10:55 pm »
I am just too lazy to fix other people's stuff. I fixed one of my friend's computers.

His computer had so much spyware the thing sometimes failed to boot. Key word: sometimes.

Same with viruses.

By the end of the day, I had it down to one virus I could not remove for love nor money.

So, I ran the thing in Linux. Found out what it did. :)

Bam. No more viruses. :)

EDIT -- And to think, I did all of this over VNC, from the comfort of my living room. Having him install it was a bitch, but eh? Could have just reinstalled the fucking OS faster/easier/more efficiently. :P
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2006, 01:35:22 pm »
You live in the Middle Of Nowhere, USA, though.  In my city there is like.. everything.  Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc.  Plus, not many people will call a fourteen year old to work for them.

So what?  I don't understand your point.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2006, 01:50:01 pm »

He means to say you have business and he doesn't because he's foreign, and he's covering up that excuse with other lame excuses.
- Newby

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2006, 02:34:29 pm »

He means to say you have business and he doesn't because he's foreign, and he's covering up that excuse with other lame excuses.
No, I'm saying that I don't have business because there are big retail stores (ie: Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc) that people here will go to first before asking a kid.  That may or may not be the case for you, Sidoh.  You also happen to live in what sounds like a small town, so you will know more people there as opposed to me where my city has some thousands (like.. 60+ I think).

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2006, 02:49:47 pm »
I live in a decent sized city (650,000 people with lots of Best Buys, etc) and I still get a lot of people who want my help.  I do it for really cheap (usually $20 for anything), which helps.  But it's generally for friends/family..

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2006, 06:21:50 pm »
Well, my family is comprised of Indians (yeah yeah you stereotypical asshole deadly), so there isn't much business there.. and I don't charge family.  Or friends, really.. though I do ask they recommend me. *shrug* I doubt it'll be a big source of revenue until I can like, market.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2006, 06:39:27 pm »
No, I'm saying that I don't have business because there are big retail stores (ie: Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc) that people here will go to first before asking a kid.  That may or may not be the case for you, Sidoh.  You also happen to live in what sounds like a small town, so you will know more people there as opposed to me where my city has some thousands (like.. 60+ I think).

I would argue it's easier to spread your name (maybe not in relative terms -- but there are more people that would be interested in your services) in a bigger town.

People generally call manufacturer customer support before they ask a kid for help anyway.  The "clients" I have are ones who are fed up with waiting/want to get immediate help.