Author Topic: Computer Illiterate Parents Suck  (Read 11802 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Computer Illiterate Parents Suck
« on: January 01, 2006, 04:46:04 am »
Yup.

So, I went to bed early today (like, noon), and I woke up about a half hour ago, and of course, my computer is sitting here turned off. I turn it on and try to dial, and the line is busy. So for some idiotic, less than intelligent reason, someone deemed it needed to disconnect my computer, who is sharing an internet connection, and connect directly. My dad was bitching about my computer "slowing the network down", which is kind of funny, because I host three bots. Of course its going to be slower during the day, if I'm playing games or something, but God damn, I WAS SLEEPING. -.-

So anyhow, he shut my computer down, so guess what? Well, I was supposed to write an essay. Lets just say I did (I didn't). I forgot to save it, but had it open in UltraEdit32. Well, he came along and ignorantly shut down my computer, and boom, it was gone. Good job, loser! =)

Also, I modified Energy Settinigs to do nothing when he presses my power button. GG dad.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Illiterate Parents Suck
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 06:36:28 am »
Sounds like my 'friends' that say DSL is faster then cable just because their parents work in accounting. Woo for the interweb.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 06:43:08 am »
@Joe: It's called the "Save" button.  If you didn't save, I'd tell you: tough shit.

@Scr33n0r: Cable is often rated at a higher speed, but it's not unusual for DSL to go faster, since it's dedicated, where cable is shared.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 03:54:48 pm by MyndFyre[x86] »
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 07:34:46 am »
@Joe: It's called the "Safe" button.  If you didn't save, I'd tell you: tough shit.

@Scr33n0r: Cable is often rated at a higher speed, but it's not unusual for DSL to go faster, since it's dedicated, where cable is shared.
Yes, but which would you rather be on a gaming network with, cable or DSL?

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 07:58:42 am »
Well, if the office is next door, DSL.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 08:00:02 am »
Office..?

Being on a network with DSL period is not good, you'll get 100+ms anywhere, ask Mythix if you need any proof.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 12:14:18 pm »
Playing with Mythix on SC does suck, his DSL annoys me. :(
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 12:20:39 pm »
Office..?

Being on a network with DSL period is not good, you'll get 100+ms anywhere, ask Mythix if you need any proof.
Then his DSL sucks.  I get 31/32 on Battle.Net and about 50-90 on most CS servers, depending on where they are.

DSL works over the phone line, so the closer you are to the DSL "office" (whatever it's technically called, where you get service from), the shorter the distance between the broadband provider and the user the data has to travel, and thus faster response times.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 12:25:41 pm »
Office..?

Then his DSL sucks.  I get 31/32 on Battle.Net and about 50-90 on most CS servers, depending on where they are.

DSL works over the phone line, so the closer you are to the DSL "office" (whatever it's technically called, where you get service from), the shorter the distance between the broadband provider and the user the data has to travel, and thus faster response times.
When you're on USEast, you're not very far from the actual B.Net server in location to Mythix.  Mythix and I are smack-dab in the middle of the U.S.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 12:53:47 pm »
@Joe: It's called the "Save" button.  If you didn't save, I'd tell you: tough shit.

Newby's friend turned off his computer once, and he lost a bunch of unsaved work.  That's exactly what I told him. :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 03:55:19 pm by MyndFyre[x86] »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 01:43:37 pm »
Playing with Mythix on SC does suck, his DSL annoys me. :(

He has cable now, I'm pretty sure.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 01:50:34 pm »
I personally like DSL.  It's decently fast, and quite reliable. 

How many times in the past year has x86labs.org been down because of network failure? Once, I think.  Thank DSL!

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 01:54:46 pm »
Office..?

I get 15/16 on Battle.Net, for example, right now I've got 4 bots loaded on the USEast server, 3@16ms / 1@15ms, and that's me on my cable network with 6 computers total, 4 of which are running currently, and 3 which were being used at the time of login.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 02:09:43 pm »
I get 15/16 on Battle.Net, for example, right now I've got 4 bots loaded on the USEast server, 3@16ms / 1@15ms, and that's me on my cable network with 6 computers total, 4 of which are running currently, and 3 which were being used at the time of login.

The bandwidth used by bots is nearly negligible.  If I were to load 4 bots on DSL, I'm pretty sure they'd have around the same pings too... :)

I've never used cable because it's unavailable here, but I probably would switch just because DSL here is expensive.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 02:16:51 pm »
Yup.

So, I went to bed early today (like, noon), and I woke up about a half hour ago, and of course, my computer is sitting here turned off. I turn it on and try to dial, and the line is busy. So for some idiotic, less than intelligent reason, someone deemed it needed to disconnect my computer, who is sharing an internet connection, and connect directly. My dad was bitching about my computer "slowing the network down", which is kind of funny, because I host three bots. Of course its going to be slower during the day, if I'm playing games or something, but God damn, I WAS SLEEPING. -.-

So anyhow, he shut my computer down, so guess what? Well, I was supposed to write an essay. Lets just say I did (I didn't). I forgot to save it, but had it open in UltraEdit32. Well, he came along and ignorantly shut down my computer, and boom, it was gone. Good job, loser! =)

Also, I modified Energy Settinigs to do nothing when he presses my power button. GG dad.
Would you rather have computer illiterate parents, or parents who knowjust about everyhing about computers? I'd say you are lucky, but my parents are in the middle so I am all set.