Author Topic: Computer Illiterate Parents Suck  (Read 11794 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Illiterate Parents Suck
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006, 02:19:37 pm »
My parents just know how to play Solitaire on the computer, oh and use IE (I switched the other comp to Firefox asap. GG~)
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 02:21:40 pm »
My parents know how to go on the internet, microsoft word, email... and thats about it.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006, 03:44:59 pm »
I get 15/16 on Battle.Net, for example, right now I've got 4 bots loaded on the USEast server, 3@16ms / 1@15ms, and that's me on my cable network with 6 computers total, 4 of which are running currently, and 3 which were being used at the time of login.
I get the same on West. Location matters and there's a difference between loading 4 and loading 4 at the same time...

My dad knows a good deal about computers, my mom is hopeless however.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006, 03:57:08 pm »
Yes, but which would you rather be on a gaming network with, cable or DSL?

DSL.  It's what I use to game now.  It's awesome.

We pay for 1 megabit service (that's ~125kilobytes/sec), and I regularly get 150kbps sustained downloads and low pings on Bnet and CS:Source.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2006, 04:25:52 pm »
Would you rather have computer illiterate parents, or parents who knowjust about everyhing about computers? I'd say you are lucky, but my parents are in the middle so I am all set.

That's a good point.  I'm happier doing what I want on the computers.  I'd hate to have a parent like Newby's dad or Quik's dad who both seem to know just enough about networks to be annoying. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2006, 04:29:24 pm »
Well, my dad said that as soon as FiOS (Verizon's Fiber Optic network) is available in our area we can switch that.  For us it'll be the same price as our DSL right now, because we have cell phones (at least my dad does, I'm on Cingular) with Verizon.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2006, 04:38:33 pm »
Would you rather have computer illiterate parents, or parents who knowjust about everyhing about computers? I'd say you are lucky, but my parents are in the middle so I am all set.

That's a good point.  I'm happier doing what I want on the computers.  I'd hate to have a parent like Newby's dad or Quik's dad who both seem to know just enough about networks to be annoying. 
Same here!
Well, my dad said that as soon as FiOS (Verizon's Fiber Optic network) is available in our area we can switch that.  For us it'll be the same price as our DSL right now, because we have cell phones (at least my dad does, I'm on Cingular) with Verizon.
I hear great things about FIOS... I want it too :(
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2006, 04:42:55 pm »
My parents aren't "illiterate", really. I guess they could be worse. They're comparable to towelies parents.

Anyhow, I finished it (again, pfft, right), and I need to feel like I've acomplished something, and just handing it in won't do that, so here:

@MyndFyre's save button comment: Boo, my system is stable enough, without parential interference, that I can leave unsaved files open for days, and I often do (such as notes I quickly type when I'm programming something, feel like saving, and do a week later).

Intermediate Essay
William LaFrance
Composition 9
Hour 6

Three Things I Would Change About BHS

Although I believe Baraboo High School is a wonderful place, there are a few things that I would change about it, such as lifting the rules against snowball fights, having longer lunch periods, and allowing detentions to be served during lunch.

First, I believe we should have snowball fights allowed on school grounds. They're a great way to burn off excess energy, and just plain fun. Of course, they would have to be supervised to stop any real fighting from happening, but this could create a great way for students to get rid of stress!

Second, I believe that we should be given longer lunch periods. This gives the students more time to visit with friends, and they would be less tempted to visit during class. That way, the small amount of class time cut to make lunch longer will be made up with the extra work students will accomplish during class by not talking.

Third and finally, detentions should be served during lunch instead of after school. This would cause less problems with attendance, as students will usually skip after school detentions to hang out with friends. Also, having detentions at lunch wouldn't interfere with family plans which could require rescheduling of either what the family was planning, or the detention, and would cause a lot less trouble for the parents and school administrators.

In conclusion, although Baraboo High School could use a few small changes here and there, its an enjoyable environment for learning, studying, and socializing.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2006, 04:46:25 pm »
Haha, lifting the rules on snowball fights is a massive liability issue; they'd never comply to that.

I wish essays in any of the classes I've taken could've been that short. :(

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2006, 05:01:03 pm »
Joe, that's a terrible essay for multiple reasons. I don't see why'd you'd be so upset over such a short essay; however, you should save your essays if they are that important even if your computer is stable. There are things you can't control, such as your parents, weather, natural, and the power company.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2006, 05:01:41 pm »
@MyndFyre's save button comment: Boo, my system is stable enough, without parential interference, that I can leave unsaved files open for days, and I often do (such as notes I quickly type when I'm programming something, feel like saving, and do a week later).
No computer in the world is stable enough.  There could be a blackout, a hardware failuree, a windows failure, etc.  Everything that you're doing in an editor that doesn't auto-saved should be saved every couple minutes or more. 

of course, while I was typing that, Ergot said it.  Bastard. 

Haha, lifting the rules on snowball fights is a massive liability issue; they'd never comply to that.
yeah, it's just like skateboards: what happens if the school allows it and somebody gets injured?  The school gets sued++. Because people in the US are so sue-happy (I'm told), they can't possibly lift that regulation. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2006, 05:04:57 pm »
Joe, that's a terrible essay for multiple reasons. I don't see why'd you'd be so upset over such a short essay; however, you should save your essays if they are that important even if your computer is stable. There are things you can't control, such as your parents, weather, natural, and the power company.

Hehe, yep.  I have a 1500 word essay due tomorrow that I've just barely started on!

yeah, it's just like skateboards: what happens if the school allows it and somebody gets injured?  The school gets sued++. Because people in the US are so sue-happy (I'm told), they can't possibly lift that regulation. 

They are.  It's really rediculous.  I'm so moving to Canada.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2006, 05:33:09 pm »
Yup.

So, I went to bed early today (like, noon), and I woke up about a half hour ago, and of course, my computer is sitting here turned off. I turn it on and try to dial, and the line is busy. So for some idiotic, less than intelligent reason, someone deemed it needed to disconnect my computer, who is sharing an internet connection, and connect directly. My dad was bitching about my computer "slowing the network down", which is kind of funny, because I host three bots. Of course its going to be slower during the day, if I'm playing games or something, but God damn, I WAS SLEEPING. -.-

So anyhow, he shut my computer down, so guess what? Well, I was supposed to write an essay. Lets just say I did (I didn't). I forgot to save it, but had it open in UltraEdit32. Well, he came along and ignorantly shut down my computer, and boom, it was gone. Good job, loser! =)

Also, I modified Energy Settinigs to do nothing when he presses my power button. GG dad.

I prefer parents who know something. Because then you get all of your questions answered, free parts, and help with anything you need, plus they understand your wants and needs. I can speak from experiance that computer-knowledgable parents are better than illiterate ones, being as I have some of both.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2006, 05:41:33 pm »
I think my Dad knows a little something about computers, he has every MS, Sun, Cisco certification i can name.  While chances are if you have used free public WiFi somewhere my brother is somehow connected to its operation.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2006, 06:02:53 pm »
I think my Dad knows a little something about computers, he has every MS, Sun, Cisco certification i can name.  While chances are if you have used free public WiFi somewhere my brother is somehow connected to its operation.

CCNE?