Author Topic: Computer Illiterate Parents Suck  (Read 11968 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Illiterate Parents Suck
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2006, 06:04:02 pm »
Yup.

So, I went to bed early today (like, noon), and I woke up about a half hour ago, and of course, my computer is sitting here turned off. I turn it on and try to dial, and the line is busy. So for some idiotic, less than intelligent reason, someone deemed it needed to disconnect my computer, who is sharing an internet connection, and connect directly. My dad was bitching about my computer "slowing the network down", which is kind of funny, because I host three bots. Of course its going to be slower during the day, if I'm playing games or something, but God damn, I WAS SLEEPING. -.-

So anyhow, he shut my computer down, so guess what? Well, I was supposed to write an essay. Lets just say I did (I didn't). I forgot to save it, but had it open in UltraEdit32. Well, he came along and ignorantly shut down my computer, and boom, it was gone. Good job, loser! =)

Also, I modified Energy Settinigs to do nothing when he presses my power button. GG dad.
Would you rather have computer illiterate parents, or parents who knowjust about everyhing about computers? I'd say you are lucky, but my parents are in the middle so I am all set.

I prefer parents who know something. Because then you get all of your questions answered, free parts, and help with anything you need, plus they understand your wants and needs. I can speak from experiance that computer-knowledgable parents are better than illiterate ones, being as I have some of both.
<Quik[x86]> my stepdad complains about his new computer because the wallpaper is ugly
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2006, 06:14:00 pm »
@Joe: It's called the "Save" button.  If you didn't save, I'd tell you: tough shit.

Newby's friend turned off his computer once, and he lost a bunch of unsaved work.  That's exactly what I told him. :)

Yep, but joe didn't kick a hole in his wall, now did he?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2006, 06:29:48 pm »
Haha, lifting the rules on snowball fights is a massive liability issue; they'd never comply to that.
yeah, it's just like skateboards: what happens if the school allows it and somebody gets injured?  The school gets sued++. Because people in the US are so sue-happy (I'm told), they can't possibly lift that regulation. 

Oddly enough my school allows both and AFIAK they have never had any problems with it. Although I think they disallowed skateboards this year, likely not because of people getting hurt but because the people involved in that group were uhh sketchy at best.

As far as parents go, I wouldn't know as both of mine are rather computer literate. Since Nate seems to want to brag, my dad has written code thats run on some of the fastest super computers in the world. Beat that?
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2006, 06:36:41 pm »
I think my Dad knows a little something about computers, he has every MS, Sun, Cisco certification i can name.  While chances are if you have used free public WiFi somewhere my brother is somehow connected to its operation.

My dad has done work for/is friends with/holds clearances in multiple government organizations which I don't feel I'm at liberty to discuss. I think that beats public wi-fi, which is stupid as it is.

Oh yeah, and he's written C coding as long as he's had experience with UNIX, and he's mentioned on Microsoft's webpage (he also works for them?)

Beat that. :)
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2006, 06:44:12 pm »
Oddly enough my school allows both and AFIAK they have never had any problems with it. Although I think they disallowed skateboards this year, likely not because of people getting hurt but because the people involved in that group were uhh sketchy at best.

As far as parents go, I wouldn't know as both of mine are rather computer literate. Since Nate seems to want to brag, my dad has written code thats run on some of the fastest super computers in the world. Beat that?

Haha, I think mine does too.  That's because it's a small district, though.  I don't know of a public lawsuit that's been filed for something as minimal as that around here.  It was strange moving here because my old school (and almost all of the rest of the schools in the nation) didn't allow knives of any sort.  Here, you can have a pocket knife, as long as the blade is 3" or under.  My freshman year, my friend pulled out his pocket knife and my eyes got as big as they could.  I was like "Man, you'd better put that away before the teacher sees it!"  He just kind of laughed and explained they're legal under regulation here.

As far as Nate's claims go, certifications are completey overrated.  I took a practice CCNA test without even having read the second book (there were two study books -- both about 700 pages each) and got a 75% or something like that.  Certifications mean shit.  I mean look at that 9 year old who's MCSE.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2006, 06:46:22 pm »
I think my Dad knows a little something about computers, he has every MS, Sun, Cisco certification i can name.  While chances are if you have used free public WiFi somewhere my brother is somehow connected to its operation.

My dad has done work for/is friends with/holds clearances in multiple government organizations which I don't feel I'm at liberty to discuss. I think that beats public wi-fi, which is stupid as it is.

Oh yeah, and he's written C coding as long as he's had experience with UNIX, and he's mentioned on Microsoft's webpage (he also works for them?)

Beat that. :)
My cousin has a whole paragraph about himself in the Microsoft Bible 2005, and probably the ones after.  I know, he's not my dad, but he's family :P

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2006, 06:53:48 pm »
M$ Bible? :p
- Newby

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2006, 07:35:16 pm »
I prefer parents who know something. Because then you get all of your questions answered, free parts, and help with anything you need, plus they understand your wants and needs. I can speak from experiance that computer-knowledgable parents are better than illiterate ones, being as I have some of both.

I prefer figuring things out myself. 

If my parents knew a lot, they'd want to look over my shoulder, and to know what's going on, and to "help" me set up the stuff, and all that.  And if they didn't know enough, they'd be worried about security and other things like that.  I'm sure I would find it much more annoying than beneficial having parents who know about computers. 

Oh, and I've personally written forensic software that is used across Canada, and have also done a number of conference calls with the heads of the provincial/national governments' security departments.  I know it's just Canada, but the fact that it was me and not my parents/cousin/whatever trumps all that :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2006, 07:38:07 pm »
I prefer figuring things out myself. 

If my parents knew a lot, they'd want to look over my shoulder, and to know what's going on, and to "help" me set up the stuff, and all that.  And if they didn't know enough, they'd be worried about security and other things like that.  I'm sure I would find it much more annoying than beneficial having parents who know about computers. 

Oh, and I've personally written forensic software that is used across Canada, and have also done a number of conference calls with the heads of the provincial/national governments' security departments.  I know it's just Canada, but the fact that it was me and not my parents/cousin/whatever trumps all that :P

Just Canada?  Haha, I'd argue that's a more impressive accomplishment than any of the others listed above.  I don't like these sorts of battles, though. :p

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2006, 07:39:30 pm »
My dad is decently computer literate, he just works on computers like 85yr old men drive, WAY too slow.
My mom doesn't know jack, its funny, I get a kick out of it.

@Joe:
Better essay would be about shools allowing paddling back in so that they can discipline little brats.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2006, 07:43:15 pm »
If we're posting random crap about our parents that makes our e-penis larger, then:

My father worked with Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie at Bell Labs when UNIX was being invented.

Oh, Sidoh, it may not be CCNE, but I'm working towards a goal of getting my CCNA before I graduate, following in the footsteps of tmp because he owns.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2006, 07:44:42 pm »
Oh, Sidoh, it may not be CCNE, but I'm working towards a goal of getting my CCNA before I graduate, following in the footsteps of tmp because he owns.

Good luck with that. :P
- Newby

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2006, 08:14:01 pm »
Good luck with that. :P

CCNA isn't hard to get.  All you have to do is take a test.  Sure, you have to do a lot of reading, but it's really not that difficult of material.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2006, 08:18:25 pm »
Haha, that's basically what I said to Newby:

(18:48:16) iago2: All you have to do is study the exam and memorize the answers
(18:48:18) iago2: Any idiot can do that
(18:48:22) iago2: That's why most certs are useless
(18:48:47) iago2: at least with certain ones, like CISSP, you have to work in the field for 3 years and renew it every year.  That's much more useful

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2006, 08:20:48 pm »
Haha, that's basically what I said to Newby:

(18:48:16) iago2: All you have to do is study the exam and memorize the answers
(18:48:18) iago2: Any idiot can do that
(18:48:22) iago2: That's why most certs are useless
(18:48:47) iago2: at least with certain ones, like CISSP, you have to work in the field for 3 years and renew it every year.  That's much more useful

Haha.  I think that there are some certifications that do say a lot about the person's knowledge, like CCNE.  I'm pretty sure that's one of the "highest ranking" Cisco certifications there is.  There are only 4,000 of them in the US, or something like that (IIRC).