Author Topic: Video is new big thing on the internet?  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Video is new big thing on the internet?
« on: January 04, 2006, 09:08:27 am »
http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=86214&WT.svl=news2_1

I don't think so. I honestly think if anything is new, it's blogging. If someone were to make a MySpace-alternative that was actually stable/ and fast (compared to the corporate hunks of crap running their servers now (see joe's sig @ krazed)) and get people to switch, they could make a killing, just with ads alone. I bet tons of MySpace kiddies would move off of it just so they don't have to complain about not being able to log in.

And how are Windows and Linux inadequate for video viewing? Windows XP Media Center Edition can play videos along with streaming TV nearly right out of the box, and you can do practically anything in Linux/*BSD! I think this guy is on crack.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
Re: Video is new big thing on the internet?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 09:31:25 am »
Not completely related, but this video from channel9 explains what Vista is doing to solve the video "problem."  I'm not completely convinced myself that its anything to worry about (or that it will really fix anything considering the high system requirements Vista itself will have), but its a very interesting watch if you know anything about OS architecture.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 12:23:07 pm »
The (free) mplayer program can stream video off the internet, or through a tv-tuner.  What else IS there?

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 07:43:54 pm »
This is just a case of he has $$ invested in companies so he can't tell the truth.

However, I believe video is going to be one of the next big things on the internet. A suspect we will see "tv channel" like websites offering downloads for a variaty of shows on that channel. The only question is how they will find a way to make money off it.

But anyhow being internet based will allow for them to have a huge selection of shows for people to download and watch. Older episodes and cancel'd shows can be made available for download whenever a user pleases instead of based off a network tv schedule.

The only problem with this is if something really takes off the internet will end up being flooded with horrible amatuer shows comparable to what most of the podcasts are today.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham