Author Topic: Microsoft Patents FAT  (Read 7411 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Microsoft Patents FAT
« on: January 11, 2006, 04:56:47 am »
After initially rejecting Microsoft's File Allocation Table (FAT) patents, the USPTO has ruled them valid. From the article: 'Microsoft has won a debate where they were the only party allowed to speak, in that the patent re-examination process bars the public from rebutting arguments made by Microsoft, said unimpressed Public Patent Foundation President Dan Ravicher.

Source: slashdot
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Microsoft Patents FAT
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 10:13:39 am »
What's the implication of this?

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 10:36:34 am »
They are appearantly charging per unit to use it.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 06:56:37 pm »
But we can just use ext/2/3/ReiserFS or NTFS?  Or damn near one of a billion others?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 06:59:37 pm »
Hahaha. Who the fuck would use FAT? :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 07:05:51 pm »
Microsoft...wait...didn't they switch to NTFS?

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 07:13:29 pm »
It's not that they switched, it's just that FAT doesn't work on partitions larger than I think 10GB, so they created NTFS which not only handles larger partitions, but also is more secure or something of the sort. You can still use FAT on any Windows install if you wish.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 07:23:00 pm »
It's not that they switched, it's just that FAT doesn't work on partitions larger than I think 10GB, so they created NTFS which not only handles larger partitions, but also is more secure or something of the sort. You can still use FAT on any Windows install if you wish.

Of course it does, however it does come with some draw backs and uses nasty work arounds for long file names. It fragmentates easily and has no recovery from an unexpected shutdown. It has no built in security features it's way out of it's time.

But regardless it's a HIGHLY portable DOCUMENTED and SIMPLE filesystem which many OSes seem to use. Microsoft has already been collecting fees from companies which use FAT on it's hardware.

Also appearantly this only applies for thier "VFAT" which adds the long filename extension (Christ that's an ugly hack)

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 07:24:05 pm »

NTFS was developed for Windows operating systems that were based off the NT kernel which Windows 95/98 did not use and as a side note: FAT32 supports up to 32 GB.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 07:26:53 pm »
Correct, based off HPFS (iirc) and it's a phenomenal Filesystem. The only downside is the lack of documentation for it which Microsoft refuses to give out. From the open documentation I've seen however, it's extremely complicated when it comes to it's security measures.

In light of this new patenting a few of us are developing a new Filesystem which will be even simpler than FAT, allow long filenames out of the box, and be extremely easy for anyone to implement into thier OS.

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 07:32:07 pm »
Correct, based off HPFS (iirc) and it's a phenomenal Filesystem. The only downside is the lack of documentation for it which Microsoft refuses to give out. From the open documentation I've seen however, it's extremely complicated when it comes to it's security measures.

It's encryption, compression and user permissions are definately some of it's impressive aspects.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 07:33:43 pm by Lord[nK] »

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 07:52:50 pm »
and as a side note: FAT32 supports up to 32 GB.
Mehh, I knew 10GB didn't sound right.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 12:42:07 am »
NTFS was developed for Windows operating systems that were based off the NT kernel which Windows 95/98 did not use

It's encryption, compression and user permissions are definately some of it's impressive aspects.

Duh.  I should give you the Mr. Obvious award :P

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 06:16:09 am »
But we can just use ext/2/3/ReiserFS or NTFS?  Or damn near one of a billion others?

We CAN but the problem is, except for ext2/3 there are no Windows drivers availible (Talking for other OSes sure it's possible but for small medias it isn't practical, for example who IN THE FUCK would format a FLOPPY with NTFS or ext2?) Even WITH the windows ext2/3 drivers availible, there is no way to naitively install them OR change your current partition to that format.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 02:05:10 pm »
We CAN but the problem is, except for ext2/3 there are no Windows drivers availible (Talking for other OSes sure it's possible but for small medias it isn't practical, for example who IN THE FUCK would format a FLOPPY with NTFS or ext2?) Even WITH the windows ext2/3 drivers availible, there is no way to naitively install them OR change your current partition to that format.

I've formatted a ZIP100 floppy to NTFS before because I wanted the data security.  However, because of the way security is structured on NTFS, if the data had been encrypted, it would have been impossible to retrieve following a format.

As for ext2/3 - you're right, but I don't think that there's a way to install Linux on NTFS either.  :P  Realistically, you *could* modify Windows to boot from ext2/3 as long as you could modify the portion of the executive and kernel that is started when Windows is first being booted.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.