Author Topic: post your odd sayings  (Read 5811 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: post your odd sayings
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2006, 01:48:41 pm »
I hated Hostetler. :/
You and leet_muffin go to the same school?

Yes.

"God is love. Love is blind. Ray Charles is blind. Therefore, Ray Charles is God." -- I forget who, but I like to quote it.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2006, 01:50:31 pm »
That's like saying:

Libraries contain books, books contain dense knowledge, knowledge is power, power is energy, energy is matter (e=mc2), dense matter distorts space.  Therefore, libraries distort space, similar to black holes.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 02:09:29 pm »
That's like saying:

Libraries contain books, books contain dense knowledge, knowledge is power, power is energy, energy is matter (e=mc2), dense matter distorts space.  Therefore, libraries distort space, similar to black holes.

Any moving object distorts space-time, it's just not detectable when it's on a smaller level.  I read an article in Science News that the satellite collecting data on this matter (around Earth, obviously) had finished its job after nearly 20 years of data gathering.  They said it would take at least a year to analyze.

That's funny though.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2006, 02:27:23 pm »
That's like saying:

Any moving object distorts space-time, it's just not detectable when it's on a smaller level.  I read an article in Science News that the satellite collecting data on this matter (around Earth, obviously) had finished its job after nearly 20 years of data gathering.  They said it would take at least a year to analyze.

That's funny though.

Yeah, but not significantly enough to say that "books distort space," which is why I added "dense" to the formula.  It wasn't there originally. :P

Here is the original quote, which is probably funnier than mine:
Libraries, nature of.

Even big collections of ordinary books distort space and time, as can readily be proved by anyone who has been around a really old-fashioned second-hand bookshop, one of those that has more staircases than storeys and those rows of shelves that end in little doors that are surely too small for a full sized human to enter.

The relevant equation is Knowledge = Power = Energy = Matter = Mass; a good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. Mass distorts space into polyfractal L-space, in which Everywhere is also Everywhere Else.

All libraries are connected in L-space by the bookwormholes created by the strong space-time distortions found in any large collection of books. Only a very few librarians learn the secret, and there are inflexible rules about making use of the fact - because it amounts to time travel.

The three rules of the Librarians of Time and Space are: (1) Silence; (2) Books must be returned no later than the last date shown, and (3) the nature of causality must not be interfered with.
-- Terry Pratchett

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2006, 02:30:05 pm »
Even though I've only read The Color of Magic, I would have been able to tell that was a Pratchett quote.  His writing style is so unique.  He's a bit like Douglas Adams, but his work generally has a lot more dry humor, it seems to me.

But haha, that's a great quote. :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2006, 02:32:29 pm »
Even though I've only read The Color of Magic, I would have been able to tell that was a Pratchett quote.  His writing style is so unique.  He's a bit like Douglas Adams, but his work generally has a lot more dry humor, it seems to me.

But haha, that's a great quote. :)

I have every one of his books on my top shelf (shown here) except for his newest, and I've read most of them twice, some of them once, and the only one I haven't read is the newest one I own (second-newest overal), which I got for Christmas.  I could find 10000 good quotes from his books, easy. :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2006, 02:40:12 pm »
I have every one of his books on my top shelf (shown here) except for his newest, and I've read most of them twice, some of them once, and the only one I haven't read is the newest one I own (second-newest overal), which I got for Christmas.  I could find 10000 good quotes from his books, easy. :)

Haha.  I remember finding it too weird when we read it in British Literature, but that's probably because I was a newb then.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2006, 02:58:37 pm »
I tried to get my English teacher to include a Pratchett book, but she was too busy to read one at the time, so it never happened :(

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2006, 11:45:04 pm »
Jake: Grandpa, the Doctor said you should be in bed!
Grandpa Sisko: There are three reasons for being in bed: if you're sleeping, if you're dying, or if you're making love to a beautiful woman.  I'm not tired, I'm not dying yet, and to be honest, I'm too old for beautiful women.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2006, 04:34:34 am »
"You can still get  a good 3 minutes if they are still warm"
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2006, 10:47:46 am »
Garak: It's ironic, when the Klingons were attacking the station, me and Gul Dukot were fighting side by side.  At one point, he turned his back to me, and I must admit that for a moment he made a very tempting target.
Odo: You'd shoot a man in the back?
Garak: Well, it's the safest way, isn't it?  But then I thought, well, no, I can't fight all these Klingons by myself, so I let him live.