Author Topic: Roman Emperors  (Read 7206 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Emperors
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 06:39:59 pm »
I love the latin language, although it's a bitch to learn it's pretty cool how they did things.
"v"'s sound like W's and C's always take the hard "K" sound except in special cases

Example: Silva is pronounced Silwa which means Forest

They also would be able to write Latin using no spaces (and they used to!) since
all latin sentences end with a verb and they can tell what the word is being used for by the ending
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 06:50:10 pm »
And I wouldn't want to be Caesar.  He killed A LOT of people. 

He wouldn't have been such a great general if he hadn't...

Of course.  But I personally wouldn't be able to do that, and probably nobody here would be able to kill.  We aren't as used to death as the Romans were.  Doing things back then like Terrorists do now was perfectly acceptable, and wasn't nearly as shocking. 

Also, having slaves would be cool.  Although odds are pretty high that you'd be a slave or freedman if you lived back then, which would suck. 

I love the latin language, although it's a bitch to learn it's pretty cool how they did things.
"v"'s sound like W's and C's always take the hard "K" sound except in special cases

They also would be able to write Latin using no spaces (and they used to!) since
all latin sentences end with a verb and they can tell what the word is being used for by the ending

Yeah, Latin is difficult.  I wonder why "Cicero" has a soft C... hmm!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 06:52:07 pm »

I haven't studied it in the least, but I do recognize what a good language it is.  Why else would the scientific community use it so heavily?! :)

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 07:06:24 pm »
I know in special cases, especially names they don't respect that unwritten rule. But 90% of the time it uses a hard c sound.

It get's annoying with Nomnative Plural and Genitive where you have the same endings and have
to make out what case the word is by the context of the rest of the sentence.

Also the fact that there are 5 declensions 3 conjugations and some other crap make learning Latin
a dread for anyone who hates studying (me)
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 07:49:25 pm »
Wow, that's like the exact opposite of german,  'w' is pronounced as 'v', and 'c' is never hard.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 08:20:54 pm »
I guess Ceasar beat the gauls so hard thier speech got fucked up. LOL BURN.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 08:26:12 pm »
I guess Ceasar beat the gauls so hard thier speech got fucked up. LOL BURN.

ROFL

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 09:46:09 pm »
And I wouldn't want to be Caesar.  He killed A LOT of people. 
Really?  I'd not want to be Caesar because he got stabbed 45 times.  That would suck.

@Warrior: Don't forget the 6 tenses and 7 parts of speech!

I studied Latin for 4 years..what a waste...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2006, 09:48:58 pm »
@Warrior: Don't forget the 6 tenses and 7 parts of speech!

That's crazy.  I like Latin from the little I know of it, but as I found when I took Spanish, studying speech languages bores me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 09:56:16 pm »
Really?  I'd not want to be Caesar because he got stabbed 45 times.  That would suck.
We all have to die sooner or later.  Besides, I doubt he cared much after the 3rd or 4th stab. 

That's crazy.  I like Latin from the little I know of it, but as I found when I took Spanish, studying speech languages bores me.
I agree, learning languages is hard.  We had to take a class of Latin for some reason.  He basically gave us about 8 words (to be, to love, whatever "video" translates to, to run, boy, girl, soldier, and farmer) and a bunch of sentences to translate. 

Another cool thing they did in Rome: when they took over Greece, they took 1000 aristocrats hostage, and, if the Greek people pissed them off, they'd torture and kill one of the aristocrats.  That kept the Greeks in check until they were used to be owned by Rome :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2006, 10:01:40 pm »
We all have to die sooner or later.  Besides, I doubt he cared much after the 3rd or 4th stab. 

Hehe.

I agree, learning languages is hard.  We had to take a class of Latin for some reason.  He basically gave us about 8 words (to be, to love, whatever "video" translates to, to run, boy, girl, soldier, and farmer) and a bunch of sentences to translate. 

Another cool thing they did in Rome: when they took over Greece, they took 1000 aristocrats hostage, and, if the Greek people pissed them off, they'd torture and kill one of the aristocrats.  That kept the Greeks in check until they were used to be owned by Rome :)

The foriegn exchange student here still has problems with English pretty frequently.  He's pretty hard to understand if you don't listen closely.  That's bad because most of the classes I have with him also have another student who is really good at distracting me.  Warrior knows who I'm talking about. :P

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2006, 10:12:57 pm »
@Rabbit the 6 tenses are covered by the Conjugations iirc (Meaning there are six conjugations instead of 3)

Past Present Future Perfect Imperfect is what I think it is

Additionally it will be like

Past:
Past Nomnative
Past Genitive
Past Ablative
Etc..

For each one.
Pretty damn annoying.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2006, 06:18:00 pm »
Imperfect Perfect Present Future Future-Perfect Pluperfect