Author Topic: The passive/active problem [2]  (Read 1805 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
The passive/active problem [2]
« on: January 24, 2006, 07:59:13 pm »
To throw this thread madly back on topic (if we want to continue talking about why I value honesty, we should do it elsewhere), I'd like to propose another problem:

You are a doctor.  You are at a concentration camp (either in Auswitz, or on Bajor, or whatever) with over 50,000 others.  They give you an offer:

You are to choose the 5 weakest prisoners each day, and they will be tortured and killed. 

If you refuse, they will randomly pick 10 prisoners each day, and they will be tortured and killed. 

Do you do it?

trust

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 08:06:18 pm »
To throw this thread madly back on topic (if we want to continue talking about why I value honesty, we should do it elsewhere), I'd like to propose another problem:

You are a doctor.  You are at a concentration camp (either in Auswitz, or on Bajor, or whatever) with over 50,000 others.  They give you an offer:

You are to choose the 5 weakest prisoners each day, and they will be tortured and killed. 

If you refuse, they will randomly pick 10 prisoners each day, and they will be tortured and killed. 

Do you do it?

Yes.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 08:15:55 pm »
Consider: doing so goes against the Hypocratic Oath, which all doctors take, and which they live their lives by.  It's their code of ethics, one of the key things that makes them what they are. 

I think it's pertinent to decompose this problem into the 4 factors:

Ethically - it's absolutely wrong for a doctor to do that, there's no question.  This has to be taken into account. 
Legality - doesn't come into the picture in this scenario.

Utility - This is debateable, but it's probably going to create more happiness than it's taking away, and where Trust is probably basing his decision, and where most people in the Western world base their decisions.
Morality - Is where the problem lies.  I don't personally think that it's a moral decision to choose who dies, even if you're saving more lives.  It almost seems that you're trying to act as God, or as an ultimate judge.  I personally couldn't live with making that decision, even if I'm saving more people. 

I'm interested in hearing other opinions, though.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: The passive/active problem [2]
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 10:49:42 pm »
I would rather let the blood spill onto the floor than try to save it by letting my hands serve as surface for it to pour on.

There's my metaphor for the day.