Author Topic: How to do what you love  (Read 4657 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: How to do what you love
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 10:54:08 pm »
True. 

Interesting:

If an engineer builds a bridge/building/whatever, he tends to use a computer program to do the modelling.  If he uses a buggy program that tells him the bridge will stand, then builds it, and it collapses, kill people.  Who is introuble?  The engineer. 

If a surgeon is using a computer program that crashing, causing the patient to die, who is in trouble?  The doctor. 

Programmers aren't responsible for their programs.  I think that any money lost due to faulty software should be the responsibility of the programmer, at least for critical applications.

Another interesting point:

If someone dies under a doctor's care, the doctor is not liable for that death unless it was obviously intentional.

If someone is crossing a bridge built by engineer John and the bridge collapses and the driver is killed, John loses his engineering licence for the rest of his life and is liable for enormous fines and huge amounts of time in jail.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 11:02:55 pm »
If someone dies under a doctor's care, the doctor is not liable for that death unless it was obviously intentional.

Can the doctor not be sued for Malpractice?

(I really don't know, we don't really sue people in Canada :))

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 11:04:04 pm »
Can the doctor not be sued for Malpractice?

(I really don't know, we don't really sue people in Canada :))

Only if it was obviously intentional.  I would say that's because the human body is much more unpredictable than architectural constructs.