Author Topic: WMF Attacks on British Parliament  (Read 5514 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: WMF Attacks on British Parliament
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 11:02:41 pm »
By based, I'm sure he didn't mean code wise, he probably ment based on how they do things... but I don't know much about this so I'll drop the argument. :P

Yes, my other versions of windows are less then legit and they're up to date on everything.

No, he said that Vista would have a UNIX subsystem, as in reverse compatability with UNIX applications.  From the evidence I've seen, there's no such intention...

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 11:41:21 pm »
By based, I'm sure he didn't mean code wise, he probably ment based on how they do things... but I don't know much about this so I'll drop the argument. :P

Yes, my other versions of windows are less then legit and they're up to date on everything.

No, he said that Vista would have a UNIX subsystem, as in reverse compatability with UNIX applications.  From the evidence I've seen, there's no such intention...

That's definitely not what he said. :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 11:56:33 pm »
That's definitely not what he said. :)

You were not present during the argument.  It was ergot, TehUser, newby and I.  We extended the conversation later, which is probably what you remember.

I sepcifically remember the word subsystem.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 09:38:10 am »
Bill Hilf, the head of Microsoft's Linux lab, is planning to talk up during his LinuxWorld session on Wednesday the elements of Microsoft's Services for Unix subsystem that the company is integrating into R2. Hilf tipped his hand during a Q&A with Slashdot readers posted to the Slashdot Web site on Monday.
ADVERTISEMENT

"I can confirm that the next-generation of several components of Services for Unix are being integrated into Windows Server 2003 R2. The Network File System (NFS) client, NFS Server, User/Name Mapping, Telnet Server & Client, Password Sync and NIS Server components of Services for Unix are all present in the Windows Server 2003 R2 builds," said Hilf, in response to one of the Slashdot questioners. "In addition, a revamped POSIX subsystem, the 'Subsystem for Unix-based Applications' or 'SUA' is also available as an optional install in R2.
Source

Utilities and SDK for Subsystem for UNIX-Based Applications is an add-on to the Subsystem for UNIX-Based Applications (referred to as SUA, hence forth) component that shipped with Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2.

This consists of the following components:

- Base Utilities
- SVR-5 Utilities
- Base SDK
- GNU SDK
- GNU Utilities
- UNIX Perl
- Visual Studio Debugger Add-in
Source

They have what they call a "UNIX Subsystem" for Windows 2003 (really, it just seems like it's POSIX compliance, but whatever, Microsoft can spin that however they want).  It seems pretty likely that they'd have it for Windows Retirement (err, Vista) too.