Author Topic: Woot for dumbass ISP's.  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
Woot for dumbass ISP's.
« on: January 26, 2006, 12:24:23 pm »
Ok, here's how it went:

I wake up at 2AM to see I've been disconnected from...everything, I shrugged it off and went back to sleep figuring my connection restarted, I then wake up at 4AM, glance at my monitor, nothing ever reconnected. So I lean down and check my modem, bam, offline. So, I wait till 6AM and decide to phone over to my mom/fiance's house (two blocks from here, yes I live by myself at the moment), anyways, so my mom answers while getting ready for work, I say g'morning, normal "how you doing" garbage, and I ask why my connection's offline. She doesn't have any idea, says she payed the bill. So I shower, get dressed, and go down stares to sign this stupid "FedEx release form" for them to actually give me MY newly ordered computer, hang it on the door, (for them to come by and give me the fucking thing), and I turn on the TV, woo, white noise, just want I want to listen to, much less watch black/white lines. So finally I figure out from this that they must have completely shut off my cable. I'm moving over into mom/fiance's house in a week or so, and I figured they finally got the cable moved over to there, so I call back over to their house and my mom's fiance picks up, conversation went like this, (keep in mind his name is Tim):

Me: Tim, you there?
Tim: Yeah, what's up?
Me: Just calling to ask if you knew if the cable was installed over at your place yet.
Tim: No, why?
Me: What the hell... Well mine's out over here, any ideas?
Tim: Shit, let me call, that wasn't even supposed to happen till a week after they got everything setup over here.
Me: Alright, just call me back when you're done then I guess...?

So by now I'm pretty pissed off -- You really don't know how much you need something untill it's gone. :-\

I grab a pepsi and go back to my room to watch some WoW movies I have. An hour passes, no call back, so I phone over, still busy. So I imagined Tim's bitching out whoever the person is on the other end. -- Turns out I was right, I get a call back a little later from him saying that the idiots wanted to charge a 75$ installation fee to turn it back on. (TURN IT THE FUCK BACK ON, 75 BUCKS TO LITERALLY CLICK A BUTTON.) and for something they shouldn't have done, so I completely understood why it took so long, because he managed to make the morons do it for free like they should be doing anyway.

After this he (Tim) suddenly says to me "you know this is 150 dollars a month for this, right?" ...well, here's the convo:

Me: Yeah, but that's because we were getting TV with that as well, and the TV costs more then the actual line.
Tim: But still, DSL is so much cheaper, and it's like 70 times faster then dialup.
Me: ...Well no shit but still, cable is faster.
Tim: Yeah but my friend here with me does websites and that of the like, and he says there's no difference, he's like 35 and still games..So.
Me: ..
Tim: He says he can download like 7 things at once and still game at the same time fine.
Me: What's he downloading, his websites?
Tim: ((Background noise) "Chris says what are you downloading?"
Me: ..
Tim: He says movies, and he doesn't skip at all.
Me: ...Skip?
Tim: Yeah.
Me: This game he's playing...it wouldn't happen to be anything online-poker related would it?
Tim: ((Background noise)) "What games do you play while you're downloading?"
Tim: He says World of Warcraft
Me: Mind putting him on the line?
Tim: Sure, here he is.
Moron: Yeah, DSL is really good, your connection only goes as good as your computer can handle though, so if you're on a bad computer or server your connection wont do good.
Me: ......
Me: What do you ping?
Moron: I only pay like 15.99 a month.
Me: No, what are you pinging in the game? Not paying.
Moron: For World of Warcraft? I only pay 14.95 a month.
Me: ..No, what are you PINGING in the game.
Moron: 14.95.
Me: ...no, PINGING, P-I-N-G.
Moron: Oh, oh... *pauses*
Me: ...Well....?
Moron: I don't, everything's really smooth for me.
Me: Well, when you're playing, is your latency bar green, yellow, or red?
Moron: I never actually check.
-- Intermission, keep in mind this is the bar I'm talking about:

http://www.dark-wire.net/screenor/WoW/Hello_Monstrosity.jpg

It's the green thing, bottom right. Back to the conversation --

Me: How could you not? It's like...right there. You've never felt the need to just mouse over and look? Or even notice the color?
Moron: Nope, I only ever notice skippyness in Ironforge.
Me: ...What level are you?
Moron: I'm a 57 Knight.
Me: ...Ah.
((I can't imagine how he could come up with "Knight", when you're making the character it clearly says "Warrior".))
Me: So what graphics card are you running?
Moron: Oh I'm running the max out there right now, it's a...Inspiron 9300.
((I open google and type in "Inspiron 9300", because I never heard of a graphics card by that name, turns out he's telling me the name of his computer. ))

Me: Alright, nice talking with you, put Tim back on the line please.
Moron: Alright.
Tim: Yeah, so what'cha think?
Me: Ugh, I'll gimme a call back when brainless there is gone.
Tim: Hrm, alright.

So, later he calls me telling me it's back up, I thank him and everything, and he starts talking to me about how much cheaper DSL is then cable. I just agree with everything he says untill he gets to the "You sure you don't want to get DSL instead? It's 30 bucks cheaper, and 70 times faster and reliable then dialup."

I swear to god I think he's watching too many god damn Verizon Wireless commercials.

So anyway, after dealing with one stupid comment after another, I'm back online. -_-
If anyone thinks of a way that could possibly convince me to want to use DSL, let me know.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Woot for dumbass ISP's.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 12:36:43 pm »
I use DSL at home.  I routinely get 150kb/s downloads sustained (any time of day), if I'm torrenting that's plus a 40kb upstream, *and* I can play Star Wars Galaxies without losing packets.

I don't torrent and play WoW at the same time, but my ping is generally in the 90-100msec range (it sometimes spikes during peak times, but I attribute that more to my computer and the jillion UI mods I have loaded).  I live in the southwest, though, and play on an east-coast server, so I imagine my ping would be better.  For CS:Source, my ping is routinely in the 40s and 50s.

Also, depending on where you live, DSL may come as a package.  We pay a LOT less for phone/cable/DSL service than we'd have paid the cable company for phone/cable/cable internet.  I think ~$40 a month.

Computer: 2gb RAM, 256mb 8x Radeon 6800 GT.  P4/HT 2.4GHz.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 06:26:57 pm »
I use DSL at home.  I routinely get 150kb/s downloads sustained (any time of day), if I'm torrenting that's plus a 40kb upstream, *and* I can play Star Wars Galaxies without losing packets.

I don't torrent and play WoW at the same time, but my ping is generally in the 90-100msec range (it sometimes spikes during peak times, but I attribute that more to my computer and the jillion UI mods I have loaded).  I live in the southwest, though, and play on an east-coast server, so I imagine my ping would be better.  For CS:Source, my ping is routinely in the 40s and 50s.

Also, depending on where you live, DSL may come as a package.  We pay a LOT less for phone/cable/DSL service than we'd have paid the cable company for phone/cable/cable internet.  I think ~$40 a month.

Computer: 2gb RAM, 256mb 8x Radeon 6800 GT.  P4/HT 2.4GHz.
Thanks for the info, and FYI, I feel really bad for you. Mom's fiance convinced me to try DSL, (the "top of the line" one), so we'll be trying that for however long I can take it, or if I don't notice a difference, we'll stick with it.

P.S.

Got my new computer today, woo! 1GB RAM, 7800 GT, AMD Athlon 4000+, 2.4GHz. You know it's sexy, you know it!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 06:40:05 pm »

Same.  I've seen 360kb/s downloads too, occasionally.  Downloading Slackware and OpenOffice over torrents made it to 360kb/s. 

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 06:51:18 pm »

Same.  I've seen 360kb/s downloads too, occasionally.  Downloading Slackware and OpenOffice over torrents made it to 360kb/s. 
...You deprived people.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 07:12:39 pm »

...You deprived people.

Why would I want anything more?  I'd rather have the stability and averageness of DSL than the speed and moodiness (for lack of a better word) of cable.  Overall, I enjoy DSL more than I ever enjoyed Cable. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 10:54:53 pm »
I have Verizon DSL, and I'm quite happy.

We are, however, upgrading to the fiber optics line as soon as they bring it to my area.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 11:22:51 pm »
I have Verizon DSL, and I'm quite happy.

We are, however, upgrading to the fiber optics line as soon as they bring it to my area.

I fucking hate you. I mean, envy.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 04:13:30 am »
Guess I'll have to see for myself since this didn't exactly stay on topic very long.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 10:24:10 am »

...You deprived people.

Why would I want anything more?  I'd rather have the stability and averageness of DSL than the speed and moodiness (for lack of a better word) of cable.  Overall, I enjoy DSL more than I ever enjoyed Cable. 
Cable is only moody if your provider sucks. I've had cable for probably 5 or 6 years now and I can only recall two or three times it being down for more than 5 minutes when anyone was using it (which at my house is from like 10am-4am). So.. I'll take stable and fast over stable and not as fast :)
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow