Author Topic: Wow, Microsoft propoganda...  (Read 2630 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Wow, Microsoft propoganda...
« on: January 27, 2006, 11:07:21 am »
http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=177103191

Internet protocol version 6 (IPv6) promises to deliver connectivity features in Windows Vista not possible with today's Internet protocol version 4 (IPv4).
[....]
Driving Microsoft to adopt the IPv6 protocol in Vista is the ability to enable "new application experiences." It meant being able to incorporate "richer collaboration," multiplayer gaming, or voice and video into applications.
I hate to break it to suckers who are reading that, but IPv6 isn't anything special, it's just a new way to address servers and can store a little more data that might make connections faster, although it's not likely that they'll implement the quality-of-service because everybody would start marking their packets as critical (I sure would).  So there really isn't anything special about IPv6. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Wow, Microsoft propoganda...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 04:13:40 pm »
Driving Microsoft to adopt the IPv6 protocol in Vista is the ability to enable "new application experiences." It meant being able to incorporate "richer collaboration," multiplayer gaming, or voice and video into applications.
I hate to break it to suckers who are reading that, but IPv6 isn't anything special, it's just a new way to address servers and can store a little more data that might make connections faster, although it's not likely that they'll implement the quality-of-service because everybody would start marking their packets as critical (I sure would).  So there really isn't anything special about IPv6. 

Hahaha.  IPv6 is pretty old anyway, isn't it?  By adopting it, what are they implying?  That it's going to be the default Layer 3 protocol used?  I know you can enable compatibility in XP...

<iago edit> fixed quote :P
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 05:31:23 pm by iago »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 05:30:27 pm »

Hahaha.  IPv6 is pretty old anyway, isn't it?  By adopting it, what are they implying?  That it's going to be the default Layer 3 protocol used?  I know you can enable compatibility in XP...

I hope that's not what they mean, since very few ISPs/networks support it, as far as I know.  Making it default would break a lot of stuff.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 04:50:35 am »

I hope that's not what they mean, since very few ISPs/networks support it, as far as I know.  Making it default would break a lot of stuff.

What that probably means is that it would be bound to network interfaces by default.  My home network has IPv4 and IPv6 bound to my physical network interfaces.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 05:26:32 am »
Other security features exist, too. There is IPsec encryption, and a new technology called Secure Neighbor Discovery (SEND) protocol, a way to prevent IP address spoofing through cryptographically generating addresses.

I think this was more of a poorly researched article rather than flagrant propoganda.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 05:36:47 am by Lord[nK] »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 10:46:30 am »
Other security features exist, too. There is IPsec encryption, and a new technology called Secure Neighbor Discovery (SEND) protocol, a way to prevent IP address spoofing through cryptographically generating addresses.

I think this was more of a poorly researched article rather than flagrant propoganda.

That's also possible.