Author Topic: Universal Bot: URL Protocol  (Read 23090 times)

Offline Mesiah

• I hate Jesus. I also hate Pigme's.
    • View Profile
    • HighBrow Innovations
Universal Bot: URL Protocol
« on: January 28, 2006, 06:04:58 pm »
I have taken it upon myself to create a custom URL Protocol Handler for my bot. It allows users to pass command line arguments through a URL. For example, mine is simply "bot:"

By adding arguments to this URL, it can tell the bot what to do when it loads, mine has the current option to do the following:

Enter Ops Mode - Disables all un needed parsing and whatnot. Bot is now a designated Ops Bot.

Enter Silent Mode - Disables all GUI and visual effects. Very useful when combined with Ops Mode for maximum optimization.

So my URL would then be "bot:mode-ops+silent"

This is just an example. If we were to utilize this, our applications could be controlled with alot more power. Think of a WebBot for example. Simply creating a URL to pass to the first bot running on the local system, to do things like "Say" "Ban" "Lookup Profile" etc etc etc.

If we created a uniform specification for this structure, all our bots could utilize this same protocol. It could be extremely bad-ass.

Here is a picture of mine in action:

http://highbrow.no-ip.org/My%20Shared%20Folder/botprotocol.GIF

Feedback?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Universal Bot: URL Protocol
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 06:08:37 pm »
I honestly don't see your point?  Why allow the bot to be controlled through a URL query string?

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 06:26:30 pm »
I honestly don't see your point?  Why allow the bot to be controlled through a URL query string?

WebBot-Lite.  Duhhh.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 06:44:08 pm »
Console bots using a web interface would be very neat.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Mesiah

• View Profile
    • HighBrow Innovations
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 06:55:30 pm »

Why not? My point that im proposing is not just for "my" bot.

I'm talking about several bots being able to utilize this bot: protocol. One protocol, that a handful of bots adapt too, is another step in making a greater, more organized and feature friendly community of users. Duh.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 07:39:16 pm »
I'm talking about several bots being able to utilize this bot: protocol. One protocol, that a handful of bots adapt too, is another step in making a greater, more organized and feature friendly community of users. Duh.

I guess I don't have enough experience or care to see a practical purpose in that.  Oh well.

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 08:21:10 pm »
Seems useless, and there would be a lot of issues concerning permissions and exploits.

Offline Mesiah

• View Profile
    • HighBrow Innovations
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 10:15:56 pm »
Not really. Specifications would reveal the entire system to the programmer. If the programmer programs it right, exploits would be of no concern. Don't base that on the general idea.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 10:59:33 pm »
What if he purposely tries to exploit? Of course it can be handled :)
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 01:19:50 am »
Seems crappy. Most people run multiple bots so the protocol will have to be able to specificy. This also opens up the possibility of people adding links/whatever to pages to add themselves to peoples bots.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Mesiah

• View Profile
    • HighBrow Innovations
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 12:01:46 pm »
I think you guys are thinking a bit too far out of the box here... This protocol idea of mine is intended for control from other applications. Not FULL control... for example,  aim:goim?screenname=SCREENNAME&message=MESSAGE

If you use aim, you probably know there are quite a few different parameters that can be used in it's protocol. I have never heard of REAL exploits being caused from this, as they still continue to use it and add too it.

Why do we add scripting control to our bots? Custom commands? Plugins? So the user can control each little peice more and more. If you think somebody is going to use this protocol for an exploit idea, what the hell do you think scripts could do???

Like I stated zorm, if there were to be a set specification on this protocol, including things like bot identifier, uhm.. web interfacing, bcp integration, botNET integration, etc etc; I think it would be very useful. But I don't think you guys agree, so I'll just use it for my own application. Thought I'd share the idea anyways.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 12:23:00 pm »
Don't take it the wrong way, most likely we/they are questioning it to make you think it out further incase you havn't.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 01:01:18 pm »
I think you guys are thinking a bit too far out of the box here... This protocol idea of mine is intended for control from other applications. Not FULL control... for example,  aim:goim?screenname=SCREENNAME&message=MESSAGE

Sorry, I just don't think it's very useful. :\

Good luck anyway!

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 01:13:26 pm »
[X] <-- Box  :) <--- You

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2006, 02:07:53 pm »
[X] <-- Box  :) <--- You

:D.  Thinking out of the box got me screwed me over a few days ago, but it was still a good thing. :)