Author Topic: NSA's Trailblazer...  (Read 10360 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
NSA's Trailblazer...
« on: February 01, 2006, 11:14:45 am »
Robert Lemos, over on SecurityFocus (note the bold):

[snip]

A program intended to mine the Internet and telecommunications for bits of data related to terrorism is still on the drawing board, despite costing an estimate $1.2 billion over the past six years, according to a Baltimore Sun investigation.

The National Security Agency (NSA) has spearheaded the initiative, known as Trailblazer, aimed at connecting the dots between various information sources, such as e-mail, cell phone calls and instant messages. After spending almost $1.2 billion on the project since 1999, only a "few isolated analytical and technical tools have been produced," the article stated.

Earlier this month, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) filed lawsuits against the Bush Administration for conducting wiretaps of American citizens without judicial oversight. President Bush secretly authorized the NSA to eavesdrop on Americans and others inside the United States without obtaining a warrant through a secret court system designed to allow foreign surveillance.

[snip]

http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/121

Baltimore Sun article:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/custom/attack/bal-te.trailblazer29jan29,1,1444424.story

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
Re: NSA's Trailblazer...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 03:19:41 pm »
mmm, tax dollars hard at work.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 03:20:55 pm »
I could find more terroism in six years then they could.  Give me 1.2 Billion Dollars. :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 03:57:26 pm »
President Bush secretly authorized the NSA to eavesdrop on Americans and others inside the United States without obtaining a warrant through a secret court system designed to allow foreign surveillance.
I don't get it, if the president is doing this than shouldn't he be prosecuted, isn't what he is doing illegal?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 07:19:46 pm »
President Bush secretly authorized the NSA to eavesdrop on Americans and others inside the United States without obtaining a warrant through a secret court system designed to allow foreign surveillance.
I don't get it, if the president is doing this than shouldn't he be prosecuted, isn't what he is doing illegal?
As far as I understand, it is, but he's doing it to save you from terrorism.  It's because of him breaking the law that you haven't been attacked by a terrorist.  And this rock keeps lions away .

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 07:31:25 pm »
As far as I understand, it is, but he's doing it to save you from terrorism.  It's because of him breaking the law that you haven't been attacked by a terrorist.  And this rock keeps lions away .
I would like to purchase your rock.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 07:40:15 pm »

To my knowledge, the FISA court has authorized this activity, and in fact has said that if he did not, he would be not following constitutional directive.

I have been searching for the ruling or news about this.

Well, not attempting to make a personal attack in an extremely cynical way, but next time I need an expert on American constitutional law, I'll call you, and we'll work out a fee.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 07:50:45 pm »
Well, not attempting to make a personal attack in an extremely cynical way, but next time I need an expert on American constitutional law, I'll call you, and we'll work out a fee.
Sweet!   Deal!

You'll find I work for cheap. 

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 08:25:06 pm »
$1.2 billion over the past six years

$200 million a year really isn't that bad. Consider something like the F/A-22 which has a price tag in the $200 million range per plane.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 08:52:31 pm »
$1.2 billion over the past six years

$200 million a year really isn't that bad. Consider something like the F/A-22 which has a price tag in the $200 million range per plane.

You missed the second half, a "few isolated analytical and technical tools have been produced," -- a plane is something, a "few [....] tools[/url] isn't

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 09:15:36 pm »
You missed the second half, a "few isolated analytical and technical tools have been produced," -- a plane is something, a "few [....] tools[/url] isn't

For $1.2 billion, 6 planes if a few.

I didn't read the article, but did they mention what was produced? Or are they going to assume the tools produced are junk and give the topic merit?

EDIT --

A major failure leading up to Sept. 11, 2001, involved communications intelligence, investigators found.More than 30 hints of the impending attack had been collected in the previous three years but had sat, unnoted, in the NSA's databases, according to a joint congressional inquiry into pre-Sept. 11 intelligence operations.

30? That's pretty fucking good if you ask me.

Wow, if you start a bunch of tags you can end them all by closing the outside most tag. :)

EDIT2 -- Ahh, the tool was designed to analyze those notes.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 09:18:36 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 11:59:26 pm »
If I remember correctally, the "Patriot Act" makes him able to do that. He just profiles the people. But of corce since he's thre president, it's not illegal, or bad! :-\.. The whole patriot thing is stupid, it's like the spy hunts Soviet Russia had the KGB do.  Say five names, then they don't arrest you and hold you for spying (terrorism, in this case). And since we can hold suspected terrorists for as long as we want, for no reason at all, we will.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 12:19:54 am »

"Lisa, I would like to buy your rock." --  I loved that quote.

If theres a chance it could stop a terrorist attack, it would be worth it.  I still don't understand why he did it secretley, its for National sercurity. ;)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 02:55:07 am »
THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS, if he [bush] can by pass amendants and privacy laws, that is break a law on this serious of a scale, than how come people got thier panties in a bunch when Clinton got his dick sucked, which is might I add not nescarlly illegal? Clinton was a 2-time elected president too, you know.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 04:16:00 am »
THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS, if he [bush] can by pass amendants and privacy laws, that is break a law on this serious of a scale, than how come people got thier panties in a bunch when Clinton got his dick sucked, which is might I add not nescarlly illegal? Clinton was a 2-time elected president too, you know.

He did not pass an amendment.  That requires 33 of the 50 states.

People didn't get their panties in a bunch because Clinton got a blow job.

People got their panties in a bunch because Clinton got a blow job, then he went on national television and proclaimed he didn't get a blow job directly to the American people explicitly about that incident, then he went to court and lied under oath (committed perjury) about getting a blow job.

Bush has not given me reason to doubt his honesty, nor has anyone else provided sufficient evidence that Bush has ever lied to me directly on national TV or while under oath.

Furthermore, as I said, it's been said that the FISA court (the court that would have jurisdiction in this matter) not only said that Bush legally did this surveillance, but also to not do so would have been a serious breach of his constitutional responsibility.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.