Author Topic: Microsoft doesn't like hobbyists?  (Read 4730 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Microsoft doesn't like hobbyists?
« on: February 02, 2006, 05:12:38 pm »
http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/30/msft_our_drm_licensi.html

To quote Microsoft's DRM guy, "the fee is not intended to recoup the expenses Microsoft incurred in developing their DRM, or to turn a profit. The intention is to reduce the number of licensees to a manageable level, to lock out 'hobbyists' and other entities that Microsoft doesn't want to have to trouble itself with."

Considering nearly all of you here are hobbiests, in one way or another, this should especially bother you :P

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft doesn't like hobbyists?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 05:20:41 pm »
Why would a corporation care about hobbyists? Sounds like just a bunch of people poking fun at MS for a stupid reason, but then again that wouldn't be a surprise.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 05:22:57 pm »

Because Microsoft is making it more difficult to BE a hobbiest by charging for some tools that used to be free.  They claimed it was a to help fund DRM, but now the lead guy said it was specifically to discourage hobbiests from being able to use it.

Sorry, didn't mean to edit
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 05:37:53 pm by Warrior[x86] »

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 05:30:30 pm »
I don't believe DRM was ever free.  This particular thing is geared specifically at hardware or electronics manufacturers (not software developers) who enable their devices to play DRM-protected content.  All software-SDK-related tools are still free to use by licensed users of Windows.  Get the facts.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 05:37:24 pm »
Uh sorry about editing your post iago, I could have sworn I hit quote.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 05:49:03 pm »
Uh sorry about editing your post iago, I could have sworn I hit quote.

Way to suck at life War.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 05:50:56 pm »
:/

But yea, Microsoft isn't going to care about Hobbyists and they don't WANT Hobbyists period. Like any good company they should have the mindset: If they don't work for us, they are the enemy.

So I still fail to see the problem here.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 06:03:14 pm »

But yea, Microsoft isn't going to care about Hobbyists and they don't WANT Hobbyists period. Like any good company they should have the mindset: If they don't work for us, they are the enemy.

...what?!?

By making Visual Studio 2005 available in free (Express) editions, they're opening the doors to free programming for Windows-based computers.  They're even offering C++ with VS 2005 Express.

Hobbyist developers can't hope to approach the featureset in MS products.  I can't see them doing anything *but* being happy that they have a hobbyist community.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 06:12:44 pm »

...what?!?

By making Visual Studio 2005 available in free (Express) editions, they're opening the doors to free programming for Windows-based computers.  They're even offering C++ with VS 2005 Express.

Hobbyist developers can't hope to approach the featureset in MS products.  I can't see them doing anything *but* being happy that they have a hobbyist community.

Well maybe not  wanting was a bit harsh but regardless, they arn't going to care about them enough to go back on thier already probably press covered decision.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 06:58:32 pm »
I don't believe DRM was ever free.  This particular thing is geared specifically at hardware or electronics manufacturers (not software developers) who enable their devices to play DRM-protected content.  All software-SDK-related tools are still free to use by licensed users of Windows.  Get the facts.

Did you notice the part where the Microsoft guy said, "'hobbyists' and other entities that Microsoft doesn't want to have to trouble itself with"? 

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 07:09:42 pm »
Why would a corporation care about hobbyists? Sounds like just a bunch of people poking fun at MS for a stupid reason, but then again that wouldn't be a surprise.

Yeah, since when has Microsoft cared about you or any of you? You promote them, and you're the kind of people they're trying to lock out.

That sounds like a confusing relationship. Like a lost puppy you don't want that will do anything for you.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 07:13:52 pm »
Difference between doing something as a Hobby and doing something as a job. I don't care about DRM and doubt I ever will so yea..no.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 11:05:09 am »

Yeah, since when has Microsoft cared about you or any of you? You promote them, and you're the kind of people they're trying to lock out.

That sounds like a confusing relationship. Like a lost puppy you don't want that will do anything for you.

But the problem is that it's beyond not caring: they're trying to discourage you, not just ignore you.  That's even worse! 

And by the way, on the same thing (DRM), Torvalds said (about Linux), "I _literally_ feel that we do not - as software developers - have the moral right to enforce our rules on hardware manufacturers. We are not crusaders, trying to force people to bow to our superior God. We are trying to show others that co-operation and openness works better.'"

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 12:15:45 pm »
The intention is to reduce the number of licensors to a manageable level, to lock out "hobbyists" and other entities that Microsoft doesn't want to have to trouble itself with.

What lawyer/pr rep approved this statement? Not only is it shooting yourself in the foot, but the policy wouldn't stand up in court for a minute.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 12:26:41 pm »
The intention is to reduce the number of licensors to a manageable level, to lock out "hobbyists" and other entities that Microsoft doesn't want to have to trouble itself with.

What lawyer/pr rep approved this statement? Not only is it shooting yourself in the foot, but the policy wouldn't stand up in court for a minute.

I don't know, read the article.  It was said by Microsoft's VP of Marketing for DRM stuff.