Author Topic: Get me to College now.  (Read 3746 times)

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
Get me to College now.
« on: February 12, 2006, 01:53:34 pm »
Tell me this does not sound like an awesome class:

ENG EK 131/132 E2:  Hacking:  Networks, Hardware and Software

Formally, hacking describes the process of cutting irregularly or mangling. Less formally, it represents the creative art of exploiting features of a system that were not designed (or not documented). Hacks include both the infamous and the famous: for example, Captain Crunch who figured out that the free whistles given out in Captain Crunch cereal emitted a frequency that (illegally) enabled "free" pay phone calls; MIT hackers, on the other hand, figured out how to manipulate window shades on a high rise to simulate a game of Tetris. At some level, hacking is the driving force behind some of the most creative research in computer engineering. This course will introduce you to hacking ethics, techniques, and mistakes in computer hardware, software, and networks. 2.0 credits

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
Re: Get me to College now.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 02:20:49 pm »
Pick me! Pick me!!
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 02:25:32 pm »
Tell me this does not sound like an awesome class:

ENG EK 131/132 E2:  Hacking:  Networks, Hardware and Software

Formally, hacking describes the process of cutting irregularly or mangling. Less formally, it represents the creative art of exploiting features of a system that were not designed (or not documented). Hacks include both the infamous and the famous: for example, Captain Crunch who figured out that the free whistles given out in Captain Crunch cereal emitted a frequency that (illegally) enabled "free" pay phone calls; MIT hackers, on the other hand, figured out how to manipulate window shades on a high rise to simulate a game of Tetris. At some level, hacking is the driving force behind some of the most creative research in computer engineering. This course will introduce you to hacking ethics, techniques, and mistakes in computer hardware, software, and networks. 2.0 credits

Not really... you can buy books from Barnes & Noble on hacking.  Taking a class on it is going to be "Okay, here's how to do something" and then twice as much "Now here's why you shouldn't do it," assuming it's unethical (which the only kind of hacking that is going to interest you will be).

I'd much rather take Number Theory. :P

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 02:45:38 pm »
you have to pick 2 courses as introduction to engineering which help you decide your specialization.  The courses are purposefully designed to be fun so you pick that field.  That is not a class on ethics.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 02:51:54 pm »
you have to pick 2 courses as introduction to engineering which help you decide your specialization.  The courses are purposefully designed to be fun so you pick that field.  That is not a class on ethics.

Did you not read the description?

This course will introduce you to hacking ethics, techniques, and mistakes in computer hardware, software, and networks. 2.0 credits

The classes are designed to sound fun.  However, I'm going to be more perceptive and not automatically assume that'd be a "fun" class.  Sure, it's pretty neat.  I'd still much rather take something like Number Theory.

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 03:23:01 pm »
I'd still much rather take something like Number Theory.

Yeah, but you're a nerd  :P.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 03:26:33 pm »
Haha, that sounds like fun. But I'd rather take a class on programming concepts or just programming in general. Assembly comes to mind, any architecture.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

trust

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 03:27:16 pm »
Wow all of that sounds so..not fun.

I'd like to see a video of the tetris game though.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 03:34:41 pm »
Yeah, but you're a nerd  :P.

It says it in my personal text! :P

Haha, that sounds like fun. But I'd rather take a class on programming concepts or just programming in general. Assembly comes to mind, any architecture.

Haha, yeah.  If you're going to go into something that's actually going to use these sorts of hacking things, chances are you already know everything that they're going to teach you.  I think you'd get more benefit from a narrower class, like you're saying.  Something like assembly architecture.

Wow all of that sounds so..not fun.

Haha

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 03:48:57 pm »
That sounds fun, but I don't see it coming in handy... ever.  I'd take it if I had an extra course or something but I wouldn't strive to make it what I focus on.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 04:27:54 pm »

Did you not read the description?

This course will introduce you to hacking ethics, techniques, and mistakes in computer hardware, software, and networks. 2.0 credits

The classes are designed to sound fun.  However, I'm going to be more perceptive and not automatically assume that'd be a "fun" class.  Sure, it's pretty neat.  I'd still much rather take something like Number Theory.
I'm taking number theory.  Very fun.

Hacking classes.........well....to each his own.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 04:30:40 pm »
I'm taking number theory.  Very fun.

Hacking classes.........well....to each his own.

I know you are!  I hate you for it! :(

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 05:32:40 pm »
http://bastilleweb.techhouse.org/
There is an explination along with photos and movies.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 06:33:28 pm »
Professional hacking classes/workshops put on by large companies and costing $1000's seem really cool, and I'd like to be a part.  But the University course I took in Computer Security sucked hardcore.  It was one of the most boring classes I've taken. 

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 06:42:57 pm »
I highly doubt the class would teach you anything neat. It sounds like it would go over other peoples hacks and how they worked which would be boring as hell. If they actually did teach you something or give you ideas for hacks/pranks I suspect the liability would be a bit much for the school.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham