Author Topic: MySpace's the place online  (Read 7557 times)

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
MySpace's the place online
« on: February 14, 2006, 02:06:43 pm »
NEW YORK (AP) -- The Internet has a rising star whose name isn't Google.

Just over 2 years old, MySpace now has 2 1/2 times the traffic of Google Inc., and it quickly eclipsed Friendster as the top social-networking site where users build larger and larger circles of friends.

Click here to read the full story

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
Re: MySpace's the place online
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 02:08:19 pm »
To me this is remarkable. I think the internet is a major factor in our life now and it is safe to say that what happens on the internet in general will reflect popular culture in our society.

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 03:21:53 pm »
I think the internet is a major factor in our life

You're really slow, aren't you?

Offline ink

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 03:28:50 pm »
... MySpace spreader FTW!  :-X

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 05:08:54 pm »
I think the internet is a major factor in our life

You're really slow, aren't you?
That was only part of the statement:

"I think the internet is a major factor in our life" and "it is safe to say that what happens on the internet in general will reflect popular culture in our society."

Offline TeHFoOoL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 07:11:42 pm »
Y'know, here's my view on technology:

It increases how lazy we are.

Basically, technology is developed so humans don't have to do as much work, or can accomplish more work in a less amount of time. So who's to say that in 1000+ year all we do is sit while technology accomplishes everything for us?

I guess it could be along these lines that I dislike MySpace.

Can't fool a FoOoL

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 07:15:24 pm »
Basically, technology is developed so humans don't have to do as much work, or can accomplish more work in a less amount of time. So who's to say that in 1000+ year all we do is sit while technology accomplishes everything for us?

I wouldn't say that's true, but I'm not going to say that is a certain fact.  Humans invent technology to do things that are impossible, extremely timely or dull to do as a human.  I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be building hash tables with abacuses and paper.  I don't think technology will ever replace anything that a general number of humans find enjoyable at some given time.

Technology increases how efficient we are, not how lazy we are.  Efficiency is defined work out per unit of work in.  In example, if you have a system that requires 100 J of Energy to do 50 J of work, the efficiency of the system is 0.5, or 50%.  Sure, technology allows us to do less work, but what's wrong with that?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 07:17:12 pm by Sidoh »

Offline TeHFoOoL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 07:19:36 pm »
Sidoh:

( I can't figure out how to quote without quoting someone else's quote. D: )

Of course, technology is a good thing. I don't want to resort to the Stone Age, but I'm just trying to see where it's leading.

And.. It seems like the internet is just skyrocketing in terms of popularity. Maybe it is simply convenience, or the easy accessibility, but it still is consuming more and more of people's lives. Is the internet not technology?

Can't fool a FoOoL

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 07:26:50 pm »
Sidoh:

Of course, technology is a good thing. I don't want to resort to the Stone Age, but I'm just trying to see where it's leading.

And.. It seems like the internet is just skyrocketing in terms of popularity. Maybe it is simply convenience, or the easy accessibility, but it still is consuming more and more of people's lives. Is the internet not technology?

Yes, the internet is technology.  What's wrong with the internet consuming people's lives?  If they're getting fired from their jobs, it's their fault.  People like that should be fired.  The internet provides countless jobs for people.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 07:28:15 pm »
I don't think technology will ever replace anything that a general number of humans find enjoyable at some given time.

I personally find WoW more enjoyable than football.

EDIT -
TeHFoOoL (you have one too many O's), you have to remove all the imbedded quotes by hand. It's not all that hard, but you get laughed at when you screw up. =p
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline TeHFoOoL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 07:29:40 pm »
Sidoh:

Okay, but technology is still being integrated into people's lives. For some people, if you take away the internet for a day or so it could be disastrous. That kind of reliability I don't like.
Yes, the internet is technology.  What's wrong with the internet consuming people's lives?  If they're getting fired from their jobs, it's their fault.  People like that should be fired.  The internet provides countless jobs for people.

Okay, but technology is still being integrated into people's lives. For some people, if you take away the internet for a day or so it could be disastrous. That kind of reliability I don't like.

Can't fool a FoOoL

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 07:31:26 pm »

You need to learn how to quote! :P

Press the "QUOTE" button, nice.  Or, enclose it like this: [ QUOTE ] <TEXT> [ /QUOTE ].

Give me a few people where it would be "disastorous."  I think people have similar addictions to things like cigarettes; I really doubt anything "disasterous" is going to happen. :P

Offline TeHFoOoL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 07:32:22 pm »

EDIT -
TeHFoOoL (you have one too many O's), you have to remove all the imbedded quotes by hand. It's not all that hard, but you get laughed at when you screw up. =p

Like this?!

The O's are intentional!

Can't fool a FoOoL

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 07:32:27 pm »
I personally find WoW more enjoyable than football.
Probably because you don't get exhausted playing WoW.
I'd go into withdrawl o_O
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 07:34:47 pm »
I recently wrote a paper about how technology improves society, having more positive attributes than negative effects. As I was writing it, I was curious if it was possible for someone to be dim-witted enough to believe that improvements in technology were bad for society. I guess you're my case study.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny