Author Topic: Ten Reasons to buy Windows Vista  (Read 55809 times)

baal

Re: Ten Reasons to buy Windows Vista
« Reply #165 on: February 22, 2006, 02:42:46 pm »
you may have not heard of any 0day exploits, but thats because many 0days are kept secret. and you're wrong about open source programs not having any more 0days in the future. there's always a new vuln being discovered in something.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #166 on: February 22, 2006, 03:31:31 pm »
you may have not heard of any 0day exploits, but thats because many 0days are kept secret. and you're wrong about open source programs not having any more 0days in the future. there's always a new vuln being discovered in something.

Who cares?  If it's only known by a few, it's probably not going to affect me.  By the time it's a problem, it's likely going to be taken care of.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #167 on: February 22, 2006, 04:29:23 pm »

Because vulnerabilities that have 0day exploits are generally found eventually, and it is always discovered that somebody had already been using it.  Just because the 0days don't get public, the vulnerability invariably does. 

Plus, there are many sensors on the Internet and in private networks that don't detect attacks, they detect attack patterns.  Things like shellcode, stack overflows, SQL injection, and format string exploits (to just name a few) are detected whether or not it's part of a known attack.  Because most attacks follow that structure, 0day exploits are often discovered that way, then based on the capture of the attack the exploit is reverse-engineered.  That happens frequently. 

My point is, 0days don't last forever, they are eventually discovered and documented.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2006, 11:44:50 pm »
Ever looked at linux, it has what a few hundred different versions?
True, but they're created by different people (similar to different "companies" on a smaller scale).  That's not the same as a single person releasing 8 versions of a single Linux variation. 

This is just a result from the nature of open source software. One group needs their specialized version so they make it for themselves and other people make their version for themselves.

However, with closed source software the main company makes the specialized version for group A but they also make the special version for group B because there is demand for both.
And group C, and D, E, F, G, and H?  I doubt there's THAT much demand.  What's going to be drastically different between the lowest costing and the highest costing?  Barely anything.  Maybe a couple "security" tweaks or something, but that's about it.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2006, 12:09:23 am »
And group C, and D, E, F, G, and H?  I doubt there's THAT much demand.  What's going to be drastically different between the lowest costing and the highest costing?  Barely anything.  Maybe a couple "security" tweaks or something, but that's about it.

It's obviously intended for profit.  They make way more profit if they separate their operating systems into individual groups.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2006, 12:24:42 am »

It's obviously intended for profit.  They make way more profit if they separate their operating systems into individual groups.
That's what I was getting at.  War's all fighting for Microsoft and how they're good, really they're just stupid.  All the features that differ are off by default anyways.  Why not Microsoft stop being dykes for once and settle with a mean price and sell the highest product and call that "Windows Vista."
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2006, 12:31:30 am »
That's what I was getting at.  War's all fighting for Microsoft and how they're good, really they're just stupid.  All the features that differ are off by default anyways.  Why not Microsoft stop being dykes for once and settle with a mean price and sell the highest product and call that "Windows Vista."

I'm not saying everything about Microsoft is bad, either.  Like I said, I'm pretty neutral.  I have positive and negative opinions of both Linux/Open Source and Windows/Closed Source.  While I do tend to lean more towards Linux and Open Source, I will just as soon stand up for Windows if it is falsely convicted of something.  I agree that their main intent in having numerous versions of their operating system is to gain more revenue; however, there are benefits to having them organized in this fashion.  If you incorporated everything into one OS, there's a lot more clutter and things you don't need.  If you buy an OS that's tailored to your area of interest, it's going to do more of what you want and less of what you don't care about.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2006, 09:06:21 am »

I'm not saying everything about Microsoft is bad, either.  Like I said, I'm pretty neutral.  I have positive and negative opinions of both Linux/Open Source and Windows/Closed Source.  While I do tend to lean more towards Linux and Open Source, I will just as soon stand up for Windows if it is falsely convicted of something.  I agree that their main intent in having numerous versions of their operating system is to gain more revenue; however, there are benefits to having them organized in this fashion.  If you incorporated everything into one OS, there's a lot more clutter and things you don't need.  If you buy an OS that's tailored to your area of interest, it's going to do more of what you want and less of what you don't care about.

Plus, if you need a feature that's not in your version, all you have to do is go out and buy a different one.  Simple! 

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2006, 09:08:09 am »
Plus, if you need a feature that's not in your version, all you have to do is go out and buy a different one.  Simple! 

Expensive!
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2006, 09:38:36 am »
It's called buying the version you need from the start...
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2006, 11:43:17 am »

QFT
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2006, 01:28:48 pm »

Or find an alternative.  If you buy an operating system for a server, you'll probably have no such issue if you buy the correct operating system tailored to your needs; this applies to a home computer as well.

Even though I'd normally argue this as well, I seem to have a knack for disagreeing with your "Microsoft is teh all" attitude.  Notice I said "probably" above.  If you buy OS A that has features: {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7} but you also need features: {8, 10}, you'll have to buy OS B that has features: {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14}.  Usually, you pay more for things you don't care about.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2006, 01:36:23 pm »

Even though I'd normally argue this as well, I seem to have a knack for disagreeing with your "Microsoft is teh all" attitude.  Notice I said "probably" above.  If you buy OS A that has features: {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7} but you also need features: {8, 10}, you'll have to buy OS B that has features: {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14}.  Usually, you pay more for things you don't care about.

Sucks for you then is probably what they'd say and tell you to buy Ultimate. They built the versions grouped by what's needed (Buisness, Home, etc..) so the likelyhood of that is probably small. If it does arise however I'm sure you can find an alternative.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2006, 03:21:21 pm »
Sucks for you then is probably what they'd say and tell you to buy Ultimate. They built the versions grouped by what's needed (Buisness, Home, etc..) so the likelyhood of that is probably small. If it does arise however I'm sure you can find an alternative.

So we don't have a right to complain because there isn't a closely tailored OS for us?  I think we have every right to complain! :)

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2006, 03:25:08 pm »
Sure you have the right to complain, they just won't care.