Author Topic: Microsoft Executive Talks With BetaNews  (Read 24104 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Executive Talks With BetaNews
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2006, 11:40:26 pm »
Not to mention all news sites.  From a client perspective, http://news.google.com and http://www.packetstormsecurity.org and http://www.vpnsys.com and tons of other sites all use RSS to propogate the news to the user. 

RSS is already mainstream.  Deal with it. 
Wtf, I already said that! :(
http://www.x86labs.org:81/forum/index.php/topic,4932.msg56737.html#msg56737
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2006, 11:41:43 pm »
His wording was better than yours.  Plus, he provided better examples. :)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2006, 04:48:08 am »
This argument (like all arguments with Warrior) is pointless and stupid.  Warrior isn't going to have his mind changed by facts or arguments, he's too locked into his single way of thinking.  I move that this and the other thread on General be locked due to being totally pointless. 

You're misunderstanding, I know and understand where you all come from. I merely take on Microsoft's standpoint and argue it. It gets annoying to see you guys taking stupid jabs at MS withought understanding where they are coming from.

Everyone here fully understands the situation.  You redefine words like "mainstream" and "revolutionary" to have new definitions that fit your facts.  It doesn't work like that. 

Like I've stated, and like you don't seem to understand. MS intends the words to their audience. They could care less what YOU interpret them as, besides the fact that it is an incorrect interpretation.

When someone uses an unkown technology (RSS) then it still is not mainstream, they have no idea what it is so how could they consider it mainstream? Microsoft is saying "Look at this technology, we've implemented it into IE7 and Sidebar and we hope to bring it into Mainstream everyday usage on the Windows OS" however you guys'd rather attack everything they do and call them evil because no other company on the planet would be able to move people like that. They have power, you and whoever you standfor don't and that irritates you. Admit it and get over it.

@Newby: I could for example design a product and place it on my doorstep, it would be availible to the public but the would not use it would that be then mainstream? I think what iago and Sidoh are saying makes more sense than what you're saying. Atleast they have a stronger argument, you just put things out for the sake of saying them and randomly bold things to make it look like what you say even makes sense. Try harder next time.

You seem to have redefined mainstream pretty clearly:
Newby:

It is available to the general public. The general public isn't able to use it, but guess what? It's available. They could all use it, but they don't!

Whether you like it or not, it's mainstream.

That's news to me.

So two security sites and google's "news site" use RSS? That isn't a lot of users. Compare it to IE7's users and it's nothing.
IE7 has users worldwide, insane amounts of users world wide. Sorry but that's not something any company can do today.
Only thing I see even close to competeing is the cellphone argument but not all cellphones in the world even use RSS.

I fully understand where Sidoh and iago are coming from (Don't know about Newby anymore) and it's perfectly fine if you guys think of it as a Gimic, I'm giving you an MS perspective. This forum seems to be a "Search the news really hard then bash windows every opportunity" forum, so would it be alright for me to use it as a forum to bash Linux on even the smallest of things when you can't however bash it's actual OS features? Cmon, you're picking at words on a page rather than attacking OS features like you should be from all the Windows bashing you do. :)

One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2006, 05:56:22 am »
This argument (like all arguments with Warrior) is pointless and stupid.  Warrior isn't going to have his mind changed by facts or arguments, he's too locked into his single way of thinking.  I move that this and the other thread on General be locked due to being totally pointless. 

You're misunderstanding, I know and understand where you all come from. I merely take on Microsoft's standpoint and argue it. It gets annoying to see you guys taking stupid jabs at MS withought understanding where they are coming from.

Everyone here fully understands the situation.  You redefine words like "mainstream" and "revolutionary" to have new definitions that fit your facts.  It doesn't work like that. 

Like I've stated, and like you don't seem to understand. MS intends the words to their audience. They could care less what YOU interpret them as, besides the fact that it is an incorrect interpretation.

When someone uses an unkown technology (RSS) then it still is not mainstream, they have no idea what it is so how could they consider it mainstream? Microsoft is saying "Look at this technology, we've implemented it into IE7 and Sidebar and we hope to bring it into Mainstream everyday usage on the Windows OS" however you guys'd rather attack everything they do and call them evil because no other company on the planet would be able to move people like that. They have power, you and whoever you standfor don't and that irritates you. Admit it and get over it.

@Newby: I could for example design a product and place it on my doorstep, it would be availible to the public but the would not use it would that be then mainstream? I think what iago and Sidoh are saying makes more sense than what you're saying. Atleast they have a stronger argument, you just put things out for the sake of saying them and randomly bold things to make it look like what you say even makes sense. Try harder next time.

Newby:

It is available to the general public. The general public isn't able to use it, but guess what? It's available. They could all use it, but they don't!

That's news to me.

So two security sites and google's "news site" use RSS? That isn't a lot of users. Compare it to IE7's users and it's nothing.
IE7 has users worldwide, insane amounts of users world wide. Sorry but that's not something any company can do today.
Only thing I see even close to competeing is the cellphone argument but not all cellphones in the world even use RSS.

I fully understand where Sidoh and iago are coming from (Don't know about Newby anymore) and it's perfectly fine if you guys think of it as a Gimic, I'm giving you an MS perspective. This forum seems to be a "Search the news really hard then bash windows every opportunity" forum, so would it be alright for me to use it as a forum to bash Linux on even the smallest of things when you can't however bash it's actual OS features? Cmon, you're picking at words on a page rather than attacking OS features like you should be from all the Windows bashing you do. :)

Sigh. I'm done arguing with you. My point has been damn near the same as theirs and apparently I'm not making any sense to you. Hell, they based some of their arguments off of mine or proved some of my arguments further (see here and here) and I make no sense? At least they can figure out what I'm trying to say.

Fuck it. It's like arguing with a brick wall. Look past the end of your nose for once.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 05:59:31 am by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2006, 07:59:49 am »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2006, 08:22:08 am »

Newby:

That's news to me.

Sigh. I'm done arguing with you. My point has been damn near the same as theirs and apparently I'm not making any sense to you. Hell, they based some of their arguments off of mine or proved some of my arguments further (see here and here) and I make no sense? At least they can figure out what I'm trying to say.

Fuck it. It's like arguing with a brick wall. Look past the end of your nose for once.

Hey, don't blame me you got it wrong. :)
Cmon newby..atleast try some willya :D
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2006, 09:00:31 am »
Hey, don't blame me you got it wrong. :)
Cmon newby..atleast try some willya :D

No. Fuck you. You got it wrong.

Topic locked. I can't stand the fact that retards don't understand me.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2006, 09:04:37 am »
Sorry for posting to a locked topic, but I spent a lot of time typing this (and btw, to really lock it you should move it to a forum that everybody doesn't moderate):

Ugh, I picked one site from three different categories just for variety. 

I guess I can list some sites:
- x86labs
- vpnsys
- Google news
- packetstormsecurity.org
- cnn.com
- Slashdot (which is pretty damn mainstream alone)
- Freshmeat.net
- Securityfocus.com
- reuters.com
- cbc.ca
- yahoo.com
- theregister.org
- espn.com
- Surgical Diversions 
- wired News Technology
- salon.com Salon makes you think
- ABCNEWS: Nightline
- moore's Lore
- moreover - Tampa-St Petersburg news
- Oligopoly Watch The latest maneuvers of the new oligopolies
- Digital Identity World
- CM Pros Press Releases Blog
- SAP Developer Network SAP Weblogs SAP Developer's Network Weblogs 1 White-on-Orange XML icon.
- SixXS Forum: General
- Talis Keystone
- w4feed:IT Support
- Microsoft Team RSS Blog
- Rick LaPlante's WebLog
- ResourceShelf Resources and News
- Musings from Gudge Martin
- Moreover - Environment news
- LawMarketing Blog
- RasterWeb! Various commentary on whatever
- mobilis mobile Companion Blog
- ZOpen-X: Web Dev and OS X
- Zope.org Product Updates
- Zope.org 2
- Zoo Talk
- Tao of the Machine
- zem cryptography, censorship, copyright, thoughtcrime
- Jeffrey Zeldman Presents: The Daily Report
- Netizen News Daily
- 133ï¾\u0178 E, 34ï¾\u0178 N
- Zapato Productions
- Buddha John Two Fish
- z9m9z.com The Z9M9Z
- About CareerPlanning: Most Popular Articles
- About Web Search
- About Web Design/HTML
- U.S. Politics: Current Events
- About Urban Legends and Folklore Urban Legends and Folklore 1 White-on-Orange XML icon.
- About Travel with Kids
- About Thyroid Disease
- About Teen Fashion
- About Stress Management
- About Space/Astronomy
- About Shakespeare
- About Scrapbooking
- About Sci-Fi / Fantasy
- About Small Business Information
- About Small Business: Canada
- About Psychology
- About Physics
- About Pediatrics
- About Focus on PC Support
- About Parenting of Adolescents
- About Paranormal Phenomena
- About Panic/Anxiety Disorders
- About Palmtops/PDAs
- About Internet/Network Security
- About Mental Health Resources
- About Mens Fashion
- About Management
- About Low Fat Cooking
- Christianity
- About Elementary Educators
- About Judaism
- Focus on JavaScript Focus
- About Inventors
- About Interior Decorating
- About Human Resources
- About Graphics Software
- About Genealogy
- About Frugal Living
- About French Cuisine
- About Freebies
- About Freshwater Fishing
- About Family Internet
- About Entrepreneurs
- Economics
- About Death and Dying
- About Desktop Publishing
- About Depression
- About Composites/Plastics
- Christianity
- About Christianity
- Chess Chess
- About Canada
- About Busy Cooks
- About Birding/Wild Birds
- About Bipolar
- About Bicycling
- About Baseball
- About Arts/Crafts Business
- About Antiques
- Zope.org News
- YourTravel-hq
- Your Democracy blogs
- Home Equity Loans
- U.S. EPA News for Region 05
- U.S. EPA ~Other News Topics~

Also, I checked one feed site (syndic8.com).  They have a total of 456,744 feeds listed. 

Now, can we call half a million sites mainstream?  Or does it still need Microsoft's seal of approval first?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2006, 09:06:26 am »
Sorry for posting to a locked topic, but I spent a lot of time typing this (and btw, to really lock it you should move it to a forum that everybody doesn't moderate):

'tis ok, you actually contributed to it. Warrior just manages to piss me off.

Btw, Yahoo = #1 webpage for bandwidth/hits. I fail to see how that's not mainstream... c'mon War. Look past the end of your nose for once. You might actually learn something.
- Newby

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2006, 09:38:06 am »
Okay all those sites are nice and dandy, do they add up to IE's usage and do they account for most users on the planet? No, sorry.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2006, 10:36:25 am »
Okay all those sites are nice and dandy, do they add up to IE's usage and do they account for most users on the planet? No, sorry.

But are they mainstream?  Yes.  Is RSS then in the mainstream?  Yes.  Good game. 

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2006, 10:44:23 am »
So yahoo (the #1 site on the internet according to alexa), google(#3), cnn(#24), abc news(#25), bbc(#20), doesn't constitute a "large enough" portion of the internet to be considered mainstream? I think that those alone account for at least the vast majority of the average stupid people who use IE and are only online to check the news and their email.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2006, 11:17:03 am »
So yahoo (the #1 site on the internet according to alexa), google(#3), cnn(#24), abc news(#25), bbc(#20), doesn't constitute a "large enough" portion of the internet to be considered mainstream? I think that those alone account for at least the vast majority of the average stupid people who use IE and are only online to check the news and their email.

Not if you're talking on a global scale like Sidoh and others want me to. Else if we talked on a more local scale, then Microsoft's comment would be fine.

Now since we're talking on a global scale, until most of the users on the internet use it then it won't be mainstream and it's pretty obvious most users on the internet are using Windows..

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2006, 11:45:49 am »
Not if you're talking on a global scale like Sidoh and others want me to. Else if we talked on a more local scale, then Microsoft's comment would be fine.

Now since we're talking on a global scale, until most of the users on the internet use it then it won't be mainstream and it's pretty obvious most users on the internet are using Windows..

And it's been said here at least a dozen times: just because most Internet web users aren't using it, doesn't mean it's not mainstream.  Most sites use it, and the most popular sites use it.  That makes it mainstream.  Being in the browser will just mean that it's used more.  That's it.  What don't you understand about that?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2006, 01:24:14 pm »

Yes, they do.  They account for a ton more than IE's usage.  Especially considering it probably won't do anything (or nearly as much as the sources listed above), it's no argument.  IE isn't bringing RSS to the mainstream.  It's implementing something that's already mainstream.  Microsoft is hopping on the bandwagon. :P