Author Topic: Judge upholds use of illegal substance by religion  (Read 10560 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Judge upholds use of illegal substance by religion
« on: February 24, 2006, 06:28:38 pm »
[snip]

The Supreme Court ruled unanimously Tuesday that a small congregation in New Mexico may use hallucinogenic tea as part of a four-hour ritual intended to connect with God.

Justices, in their first religious freedom decision under Chief Justice John Roberts, moved decisively to keep the government out of a church’s religious practice. Federal drug agents should have been barred from confiscating the hoasca tea of the Brazil-based church, Roberts wrote in the decision.

The tea, which contains an illegal drug known as DMT, is considered sacred to members of O Centro Espirita Beneficiente Uniao do Vegetal, which has a blend of Christian beliefs and South American traditions. Members believe they can understand God only by drinking the tea, which is consumed twice a month at four-hour ceremonies.

[snip]

More

Personally, my religion practices human sacrifice to contact God.  So everybody watch out!!

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Judge upholds use of illegal substance by religion
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 06:31:39 pm »
ROFFFLEEE.  I wonder how popular that religion is going to become in the next few weeks.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 06:34:06 pm »
Personally, my religion practices human sacrifice to contact God.  So everybody watch out!!

*slight* difference between doing something that could affect only you and one that necessarily involves harming others.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 06:35:25 pm »

*slight* difference between doing something that could affect only you and one that necessarily involves harming others.

Very slight indeed. 

After all, they're both illegal, and they're both accepted religious practices at certain places (in certain times). 

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 07:22:04 pm »
The Native American church uses peyote is simmiliar pratices, this doesn't really surprise me.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 07:28:25 pm »
I wanna drink DMT. :(
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 07:35:50 pm »
The thing I like to do since it's perfectly legal is buy about 3 packets of Morning Glory seeds. I grind them up finely and boil them into a tea. It's very good tea, but the psycoactive effects are better: MG contains Lysergic Acid Amides which are simmiliar to Lysergic Acid Diathlymine (LSD). The effects are euphoria, and clearness of mind. I enjoy it much.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 07:38:18 pm by GameSnake »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 08:06:33 pm »
The thing I like to do since it's perfectly legal is buy about 3 packets of Morning Glory seeds. I grind them up finely and boil them into a tea. It's very good tea, but the psycoactive effects are better: MG contains Lysergic Acid Amides which are simmiliar to Lysergic Acid Diathlymine (LSD). The effects are euphoria, and clearness of mind. I enjoy it much.
mmmmmmmmk

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 08:11:17 pm »

Professions:
Herbalism: 305/300
Alchemy: 300/300

LOL.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 10:10:33 pm »
Heh, thats my little niche around here, your post is kinda correct, I am an alchemist of sorts. My friends really enjoy my Morning Glory coffee/tea I can brew up. You should try it sometime, perfectly legal way to, umm.. connect with nature (trip).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 10:12:34 pm by GameSnake »

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 11:17:11 pm »
Heh, thats my little niche around here, your post is kinda correct, I am an alchemist of sorts. My friends really enjoy my Morning Glory coffee/tea I can brew up. You should try it sometime, perfectly legal way to, umm.. connect with nature (trip).
Which drugs do you lace it with?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 12:22:23 am »
You're generally allowed flexibility when practicing religion (moreso than the law may allow in some cases) as long as it doesn't hurt anyone (Human Sacrafices)
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 03:23:12 am »
You're generally allowed flexibility when practicing religion (moreso than the law may allow in some cases) as long as it doesn't hurt anyone (Human Sacrafices)

Fair enough. 

My new religion believes that in order to be closer to god, we have to counterfeit money as close to the original as possible. It all stemmed from the "in god we trust" motto found inscribed on all US currency.

If money is the physical manifestation of the Spirit, then we should mass produce as much  of it as we can. This religion was also started as a favor to Jesus, who apparently spends most of his time answering prayers for more of the stuff.

[legal note: I didn't write that]

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2006, 03:27:40 am »

Fair enough. 

My new religion believes that in order to be closer to god, we have to counterfeit money as close to the original as possible. It all stemmed from the "in god we trust" motto found inscribed on all US currency.

If money is the physical manifestation of the Spirit, then we should mass produce as much  of it as we can. This religion was also started as a favor to Jesus, who apparently spends most of his time answering prayers for more of the stuff.

HAHAHAHAH.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 04:23:32 am »

Fair enough. 

That would hurt people..you use the money and you're cheating the people you use it on out of money.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling