Author Topic: Judge upholds use of illegal substance by religion  (Read 10549 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Judge upholds use of illegal substance by religion
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2006, 01:52:25 pm »
Because I don't like to place my faith in something that is completely unknown to me. Sure, other people say " God is this, " and " God is that, " but have I witnessed him do anything for me? Anything for anyone?.. Nope.

Did you witness the Big Bang?  I think the Big Bang is something equally mysterious to God.  It's beyond human comprehension.  Just because Science invented it doesn't mean it makes absolute sense.

Offline TeHFoOoL

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2006, 01:55:46 pm »
I agree, Sidoh. Whereas you put your faith in god, I put mine in science. :]

Scientology+++

Can't fool a FoOoL

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2006, 02:00:04 pm »

Scientology+++

Scientology is fucking retarded.  It's not Science.  It's a religion that says God is an alien and they're going to overtake us any day now.  It's for idiot actors like John Travolta.

I put my faith in something that transcends the finite human mind.  Since the Universe has an infinite amount of knowledge to be had, I just can't imagine a mere probability creating all of that.  To me, a God-like entity makes massive amounts more sense than something like the Big Bang.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2006, 02:02:12 pm »
Because I don't like to place my faith in something that is completely unknown to me. Sure, other people say " God is this, " and " God is that, " but have I witnessed him do anything for me? Anything for anyone?.. Nope.

100th post Yayyyyyyyyy
I suppose you should go to church more often, and hear what people have to say about how God has helped them.

Fair enough.

My new religion believes that in order to be closer to god, we have to counterfeit money as close to the original as possible. It all stemmed from the "in god we trust" motto found inscribed on all US currency.

If money is the physical manifestation of the Spirit
, then we should mass produce as much  of it as we can. This religion was also started as a favor to Jesus, who apparently spends most of his time answering prayers for more of the stuff.

[legal note: I didn't write that]
Lol, good thing money isn't. ;)

Scientology+++

Scientology is fucking retarded.  It's not Science.  It's a religion that says God is an alien and they're going to overtake us any day now.  It's for idiot actors like John Travolta.

I put my faith in something that transcends the finite human mind.  Since the Universe has an infinite amount of knowledge to be had, I just can't imagine a mere probability creating all of that.  To me, a God-like entity makes massive amounts more sense than something like the Big Bang.
That sounds like inteligent design to me. :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 02:04:32 pm by AntiVirus »
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline TeHFoOoL

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2006, 03:10:09 pm »
Why the fuck would I go to church after all that's been said?

Can't fool a FoOoL

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2006, 03:11:59 pm »
That sounds like inteligent design to me. :)

I'm debating the existance of God, not how the Universe was created.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2006, 03:22:28 pm »
Edit: theres a creation vs evolution thread already, you're all going off topic.
http://www.x86labs.org:81/forum/index.php/topic,4947.0.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 03:25:25 pm by GameSnake »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2006, 03:27:00 pm »
But, there is a conflict if you believe in creationism: how was the creator created.

I'm just going to give what I believe about this line.  It's a good point. 

Time is something that happens to physical matter.  Being created and destroyed is a phyical property which results from time. 

A creator, if it exists, would not be physical.  It would be etheral, for a lack of a better word.  You can't attribute human or physical characteristics to it, because it's not a being such as we know.  It's not even that it wasn't created, it's that it can't be created.  Like I said, creation is a property of the physical world which this creator isn't part of. 

I realize that this isn't something that is easy to accept, and it is definitely something that is impossible to imagine.  But in my mind, nonphysicalness would have to be something that a creator would have to have.  And we're so used to a physical universe that we can't really imagine anything that isn't physical. 

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2006, 03:28:54 pm »
Again your responding to a post that was edited iago. :-*
I'd like to think of it (since no one knows right?) as "a creator can be created before you were created by the creator". Say that 3 times fast.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 03:30:33 pm by GameSnake »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2006, 03:35:49 pm »
Well, don't edit your posts?  My post still applies anyways. 

I'd like to think of it (since no one knows right?) as "a creator can be created before you were created by the creator". Say that 3 times fast.
I don't think that the idea of being created or destroyed applies to a nonphysical entity that doesn't exist in our physical universe.  The idea of being created or destroyed is a physical idea and requires concepts like "time", which we can't apply to a nonphysical being. 

Read my previous post, I explained it much better.   

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2006, 03:38:39 pm »

And I'm saying no.  It's like saying you can conjure matter out of thin air.  It's understandable, but virtually impossible.  It doesn't make any sense.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2006, 03:40:40 pm »
I locked this thread due to convergence with another thread.  This is a fine discussion, but if you'd like to continue it go to the "creationism" thread. 

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2006, 03:45:27 pm »

I don't think that the idea of being created or destroyed applies to a nonphysical entity that doesn't exist in our physical universe.  The idea of being created or destroyed is a physical idea and requires concepts like "time", which we can't apply to a nonphysical being. 

And I'm saying no.  It's like saying you can conjure matter out of thin air.  It's understandable, but virtually impossible.  It doesn't make any sense.
To both of you: I am not saying I disagree with you. I just like to simplify complex matters in my mind to think of it in a easier manner.
To Sidoh: there isn't a right or wrong answer here, I don't know really how to reply, sorry. :)
The StarCraft theory states "The Xel'Naga are an ancient race who reached the pinnicle of evolution, which is to create and take care of other species". I just found that interesting. You never know that could be how we we're created! You don't know, I don't know, the Pope thinks he knows, Scientology thinks they know, so who knows?!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2006, 03:46:33 pm »

To both of you: I am not saying I disagree with you. I just like to simplify complex matters in my mind to think of it in a easier manner.
To Sidoh: there isn't a right or wrong answer here, I don't know really how to reply, sorry. :)
The StarCraft theory states "The Xel'Naga are an ancient race who reached the pinnicle of evolution, which is to create and take care of other species". I just found that interesting. You never know that could be how we we're created! You don't know, I don't know, the Pope thinks he knows, Scientology thinks they know, so who knows?!

They wouldn't have created the Universe, just our species.  Not the same thing. 

Anyway, let this thread die, talk in the other one.