Author Topic: Vista Versions  (Read 10680 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Vista Versions
« on: February 27, 2006, 01:18:20 pm »
Microsoft has confirmed 6 versions of Vista: Vista Business, Vista Enterprise, Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium, Vista Ultimate, Vista Starter. 

My favorite is "Vista Starter" -- they ensure that you have to buy a second version of Vista.  Woo!

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
Re: Vista Versions
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 01:34:14 pm »
Microsoft has confirmed 6 versions of Vista: Vista Business, Vista Enterprise, Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium, Vista Ultimate, Vista Starter. 

My favorite is "Vista Starter" -- they ensure that you have to buy a second version of Vista.  Woo!
Haha, no surprise there. :D

Also available will be versions made specifically for Europe that, in accordance with an EU mandate, remove the Windows media player.
Why is that?
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 07:50:31 pm »
Stupid fucking greedy Microsoft.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 07:53:22 pm »
I believe someone posted this here before.  Regardless, it's stupid they have that many versions of an OS that's intended for a PC.

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 08:00:21 pm »
It sounds good... presumably, the less feature-filled items will be cheaper, and if you don't intend to use all of the features in 'Vista Ultimate', you can purchase a stripped down version. Two business and one for emerging markets sounds like a good business plan to me...

deadly7: Why're you so worked up about it? Seems like misdirected anger...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 08:02:35 pm »
It sounds good... presumably, the less feature-filled items will be cheaper, and if you don't intend to use all of the features in 'Vista Ultimate', you can purchase a stripped down version. Two business and one for emerging markets sounds like a good business plan to me...

It's great until you realize that you need features from a different version and have to re-purchase your operating system. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 08:03:04 pm »

It is a good business plan.

Business aside, it's useless.  They often say things like "Our main goal is customer satisfaction."  They fail.  The only reason any of their customers are satisfied by things like this are ignorance to the obvious or stubbornness to the obvious.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 08:03:23 pm »

No, it's just stupid.  I can almost guarantee the difference of the highest costing one and the lowest costing one will be ~$100USD.  And which one will Microsoft ship with pre-made computers?  The shitty one.  And then when the shittiest of them all starts getting attacked and exploited, Microsoft will sit with their hands shoved up their asses and go "oh he should have upgraded."  Instead, they couldn't just pick TWO versions (Home, Business) and sell them.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 08:09:26 pm »
No, it's just stupid.  I can almost guarantee the difference of the highest costing one and the lowest costing one will be ~$100USD.  And which one will Microsoft ship with pre-made computers?  The shitty one.  And then when the shittiest of them all starts getting attacked and exploited, Microsoft will sit with their hands shoved up their asses and go "oh he should have upgraded."  Instead, they couldn't just pick TWO versions (Home, Business) and sell them.

I'm pretty sure the price discrepancy will be higher than that.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 08:42:23 pm »
Really?  Helps my point even more. :)

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 08:46:10 pm »
Really?  Helps my point even more. :)

Hehe.  Intially (IIRC), XP Home was ~$80.  Professional was $300.

I certainly could be wrong, though. ;)

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 09:21:04 pm »
The Starter edition is a streamlined version intended for low powered PCs found in many developing nations.

I am going to be so happy when I see that as the pre-loaded OS on all PC's.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 09:46:56 pm »
The Starter edition is a streamlined version intended for low powered PCs found in many developing nations.

Where'd you read that?  My guess is most computers its going to be put on aren't going to be "low powered PC's" in "developing nations."  My guess is that it's going to be put on 70% of Dell, Gateway and HP computers sold to Western people.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 10:00:17 pm »

Where'd you read that?  My guess is most computers its going to be put on aren't going to be "low powered PC's" in "developing nations."  My guess is that it's going to be put on 70% of Dell, Gateway and HP computers sold to Western people.

If that's Microsoft's plan, then I can almost guarantee you that your projection won't be accurate.  I used to be a registered vendor for Microsoft products when I was in business selling new PCs.  They work hard to make sure you're giving your customers the right thing.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 10:03:48 pm »
If that's Microsoft's plan, then I can almost guarantee you that your projection won't be accurate.  I used to be a registered vendor for Microsoft products when I was in business selling new PCs.  They work hard to make sure you're giving your customers the right thing.

Which version are most vendors going to purchase for their distributed PC's?