Author Topic: Vista Versions  (Read 10668 times)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Vista Versions
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 10:17:04 pm »
If that's Microsoft's plan, then I can almost guarantee you that your projection won't be accurate.  I used to be a registered vendor for Microsoft products when I was in business selling new PCs.  They work hard to make sure you're giving your customers the right thing.

Which version are most vendors going to purchase for their distributed PC's?

I would guess that most business vendors will go for Vista Business, the vendor base will cross on Home Basic and Home Premium based on the scale of the PC (if it's a pimped out PC it'll have Home Premium on it), if it's Alienware it'll have Ultimate on it (and some other manufacturers too, such as the ones sold at Best Buy).

Custom-built PCs will have it available too, through companies like Dell and Gateway.  But I think the default for most non-bargain PCs will be Home Premium.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 10:22:02 pm »
I would guess that most business vendors will go for Vista Business, the vendor base will cross on Home Basic and Home Premium based on the scale of the PC (if it's a pimped out PC it'll have Home Premium on it), if it's Alienware it'll have Ultimate on it (and some other manufacturers too, such as the ones sold at Best Buy).

Custom-built PCs will have it available too, through companies like Dell and Gateway.  But I think the default for most non-bargain PCs will be Home Premium.

How many PC's, per PC purchaced, aren't considered non-bargain?

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 10:45:52 pm »
I think people should read the article, most of the features are tightly knit together.
Home Premium is what I see being the commonly used one, and yes price ranges will differ greatly from version to version
I can see "Ultimate" costing as much as Win2k3. Personally I don't think it's a bad tradeoff, only thing new versions bring is new bundled software which probably add up to that much if you buy them individually.

I'd see "Vista Starter" for schools who want little or no bundled software apps with Windows other than essentials. If they're thinking about these types of people, I'd certainly call them thinking about their customers.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 12:54:27 am »
Also available will be versions made specifically for Europe that, in accordance with an EU mandate, remove the Windows media player.
Why is that?

Screw why, I want that version!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 05:05:06 am »
Also available will be versions made specifically for Europe that, in accordance with an EU mandate, remove the Windows media player.
Why is that?

To comply with the shitheads at EU. It's called Windows "N" if I remember.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 08:41:47 am »
I think people should read the article, most of the features are tightly knit together.
Home Premium is what I see being the commonly used one, and yes price ranges will differ greatly from version to version
I can see "Ultimate" costing as much as Win2k3. Personally I don't think it's a bad tradeoff, only thing new versions bring is new bundled software which probably add up to that much if you buy them individually.

I'd see "Vista Starter" for schools who want little or no bundled software apps with Windows other than essentials. If they're thinking about these types of people, I'd certainly call them thinking about their customers.

Sounds like a total pain in the bum. 

Now if you started installing it, and it ASKED you what software (or package) to install (like every other OS does), that would be cool. 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 11:44:33 am »
Sounds like a total pain in the bum. 

Now if you started installing it, and it ASKED you what software (or package) to install (like every other OS does), that would be cool. 
So.... your theory is everyone should have to shell out the cash for the Ultimate version even if they only need features from Home Basic?
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 12:05:39 pm »
Why is that?

To comply with the shitheads at EU. It's called Windows "N" if I remember.
Thanks Warrior for answering my question. :)
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 05:44:11 pm »
So.... your theory is everyone should have to shell out the cash for the Ultimate version even if they only need features from Home Basic?

I think what he's saying is that there should be a lesser amount of versions.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 05:48:54 pm »
Why? I've seen no concrete argument yet other than personal wants. Windows features are seperated pretty nicely if people read the article they realize it isn't a big deal, you guys want to stretch an OS too much. You either buy the version you need or you don't. You can't go to a store after you've opened a candy bar and say "Eh I don't like what this has to offer, can I get a new kind?". You get what you pay for.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2006, 05:49:13 pm »
They should do what Linux does. Give you a barebones system, and have an easy-to-use system to install the rest of the stuff that you might possibly want.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2006, 05:56:47 pm »
They should do what Linux does. Give you a barebones system, and have an easy-to-use system to install the rest of the stuff that you might possibly want.

Linux is easy to use? Sorry, I'd rather have an OS that will install in 15 minutes with everything I pay for. If you guys would rather have a complicated OS who's main obstacle is merely finding drivers for your video card then that's you. I'd rather have my stuff work out of the box and be running in 20 minutes or less.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2006, 05:57:41 pm »
Lol, not very user-friendly for those that don't know how to really work a computer. :(
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2006, 06:14:28 pm »

Linux is easy to use? Sorry, I'd rather have an OS that will install in 15 minutes with everything I pay for. If you guys would rather have a complicated OS who's main obstacle is merely finding drivers for your video card then that's you. I'd rather have my stuff work out of the box and be running in 20 minutes or less.

Linux installed in 30 minutes. Not the 15 you asked for, but 1/3 of Window's hour and a half.
Linux - 1. Windows - 0.

Linux worked with my video card at a nice, workable resolution straight out of the box. Windows did not.
Linux - 2. Windows - 0.

Complicated? Tell me how having the Messenger service enabled by default and having countless popups spawn on top of your work complicates things? How about having services enabled that give out your private information (which Linux doesn't even ask for) to anyone who get's your IP?
Linux - 4. Windows - 0.

20 minutes or less?
Linux - 4. DOS - 1. Windows - 0.

I'm sorry to crush your hopes and dreams, but it just had to be done.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2006, 06:27:12 pm »

Linux installed in 30 minutes. Not the 15 you asked for, but 1/3 of Window's hour and a half.
Linux - 1. Windows - 0.

If you actually read anything, you'd know Vista will install in 15 minutes or less. With everything Windows offers..

Windows 1 Linux 0

Linux worked with my video card at a nice, workable resolution straight out of the box. Windows did not.
Linux - 2. Windows - 0.

It didn't with mine, neither did it work with many others who post of help forums. Let us note the quality of the drivers is noticably lower in Linux versus Windows. Even ergot has told me he has problems getting simple 2D Acceleration to work on his card.

Windows 2  Linux 0

Complicated? Tell me how having the Messenger service enabled by default and having countless popups spawn on top of your work complicates things? How about having services enabled that give out your private information (which Linux doesn't even ask for) to anyone who get's your IP?
Linux - 4. Windows - 0.

You're again basing your opinion off of XP, probably an XP withought SP2 at the most.
Let's stick to the OS at hand, or would you like me to start attacking Linux 0.99..

Windows 3 Linux 0

20 minutes or less?
Linux - 4. DOS - 1. Windows - 0.

I'm sorry to crush your hopes and dreams, but it just had to be done.

Windows 4 Linux 0 DOS ?? (what the hell)

Sorry, get educated, look up your facts, learn about the Windows kernel, learn about how OSes work in general, learn about how Windows works in the slightest, educate yourself about Vista (Unless you've been on Mars for the past few years), and then come back and say something which makes the sense even in the slightest. Then and ONLY then can you act like you acomplished something else other than making yourself look like an idiot.