Author Topic: Why Windows Vista won't suck.  (Read 9532 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Why Windows Vista won't suck.
« on: February 28, 2006, 05:22:49 pm »
"There's a lot of confusion about Windows Vista these days. Many online discussion forums have a great number of users who express no desire to upgrade to Vista. Sure, we've all seen the screenshots and maybe a video or two of Vista in action, but for many it only seems like new tricks for an old dog."

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1931913,00.asp
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Why Windows Vista won't suck.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 05:33:33 pm »
Newby beat you to it.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 05:41:02 pm »
Forget his, mine is better.

I think this brings up some good points even most I never knew about.
Per application volume control is promising and the improved audio stack is a beauty.
Of course we all knew about the rewritten network stack and how the IO system had been revamped but
damn things like realtime search, power options, network center, and usermode drivers are a sight for sore eyes.

One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 06:32:29 pm »
Much better and well written article than that other one. Looks like they actually spent time researching and know what they are talking about.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 07:03:35 pm »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 07:12:25 pm »

lol.

;). I didn't know it was on slashdot, I read mainly osnews and it always appears a little late. Maybe a merge or something is in order.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 07:48:56 pm »
Per application volume control is promising and the improved audio stack is a beauty.
Am I the only one who thinks this sounds really annoying?

Anyway, I don't trust anything that Microsoft says.  Time and time again, they talk big and release crap.  So we'll see. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 07:56:26 pm »

As long as there's a way to set everything to a system defined default (one that the user can also change), I think it's a good idea.  Usually, applications that produce enough sound to matter (Winamp, games, etc) have application-level volume controls, so it doesn't really matter to me that much.  I can already control volume as much as I want to on XP.  It's still a pretty neat feature, though.

Anyway, I don't trust anything that Microsoft says.  Time and time again, they talk big and release crap.  So we'll see. 

Hehe, definitely.  I, for one, am looking forward to testing it, even though I do recognize the possibility of these claims being false.  I trust that they're based on fact to some extent, but I'm not going to accept them as hard facts until I try it for myself.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 07:56:59 pm »

lol.

;). I didn't know it was on slashdot, I read mainly osnews and it always appears a little late. Maybe a merge or something is in order.

Did you miss my original topic? You should now. I removed it. Post in here. :P
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 08:17:09 pm »
I think it sounds really useful.  You may not use Windows enough to notice, but I generally turn sounds off in some IM apps because of the annoying sound volume.  If they're going to fix it so that I can just turn an app's sound volume down, that's WAY better.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 08:19:28 pm »
I think it sounds really useful.  You may not use Windows enough to notice, but I generally turn sounds off in some IM apps because of the annoying sound volume.  If they're going to fix it so that I can just turn an app's sound volume down, that's WAY better.

I'll still disable those sounds, haha.  The flashing section on the application bar is notification enough for me.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 08:21:16 pm »

I'll still disable those sounds, haha.  The flashing section on the application bar is notification enough for me.

What if you're in fullscreen?  I hate the popup flashing bar too -- it bugs the hell out of me.  Give me just simple, quiet, nonintrusive sounds any day.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 08:30:06 pm »
What if you're in fullscreen?  I hate the popup flashing bar too -- it bugs the hell out of me.  Give me just simple, quiet, nonintrusive sounds any day.

If I'm fullscreen, chances are I don't want to be bothered.  If I want to be able to tell that I'm recieiving IM's, I can throw the gaim window on my other monitor.  The flashing bar works great because it functions in the exact way I want a notification to work:

1) It's only apparent/observable when I want it to be
  2) It's not loud and annoying
  3) It repeats itself in case I missed it (went AFK for 15 seconds or something like that)

This is definitely a subjective matter.  No purpose in arguing it. :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 08:43:23 pm »
Yeah, in IM aps I like having no notification whatsoever.  I'll check for messages manually when I want to.  But that's totally subjective.

The scenario that would bother me is this.  It's nighttime, people are asleep, so I want my computer quiet.  I turn down my sound and everything is quiet.  It's daytime, I'm alone, I want to hear it from the other room, so I turn the volume up, and everything is loud. 

If the sound volume was relative to the master volume, then this might be handy.  Otherwise, it would be annoying re-adjusting the volume for every open program.  Although I don't generally count on Microsoft getting things right on their first try, can anybody confirm/deny that this is the way it works?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 11:13:24 pm »

100% agree. I can play a game with low sound and still have my music going at a high volume. :)
- Newby